Power Kite Forum

DC Area riders

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

ragden - 6-11-2009 at 04:49 AM

I could, in theory, pick you up... U2U me a number to contact you at... I should have room in my car for another person since all my kites will fit in the trunk... Where ya at bud?

ragden - 6-11-2009 at 08:31 AM

Heading out to anacostia park shortly. Hope to see you there.. :)

dtoast - 6-11-2009 at 09:12 AM

Power: I'm in DC working and heading down around 2pm, if you're in the city or close by I can pick you up around then.

power - 6-11-2009 at 09:57 AM

I only live about 7 miles from west potomac park but with traffic it can take 25 or 30 minutes to get there. My friend's mom is probably going to be able to give me a ride there around 3, but if not I'll post. Who's going to west potomac this afternoon?

ragden - 6-11-2009 at 02:31 PM

Already back home. Oddly enough we got kicked out by the police. Apparently one of the Marine Helicopters flying by got spooked by some giant kite in the sky and called it in. Three squad cars showed up to politely ask us to leave. I'm sure Maven can explain what they actually said better as I was down the field trying to get my kite back in the air when they came up... :( Sorry you missed out. Luckily, we did get in a good 4 hrs of flying before they asked us to leave... Guess we'll have to try this another time when more people can make it. :smilegrin:

shehatesmyhobbies - 6-11-2009 at 02:53 PM

Imagine that kite police:dunno:.We have a war going on and thieves on the street, murderers on the loose and they are busy kicking people that are flying kites out of parks!

What has the world coming too. Maybe if you mount m16 to your buggies and claim you are there to help protect the President, they will leave you alone. LOL

Glad you guys got some time in before they kicked you out. At least they were polite!

power - 6-11-2009 at 08:04 PM

Lucky you even got to fly. Never got above about 8mph for me.

lad - 6-11-2009 at 11:34 PM

Had my best run yet at Wildwood this afternoon :D:thumbup:
Two runs from below the Apollo up to the 2nd amusement pier and back.
Wind wasn't has gusty as predicted, but was nearly 90 degrees, if offshore

You don't even have to mind the exact tide schedule so much, there is so much smooth, frickin hard pack there to be had, no matter what.

Maven454 - 7-11-2009 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shehatesmyhobbies
Imagine that kite police:dunno:.We have a war going on and thieves on the street, murderers on the loose and they are busy kicking people that are flying kites out of parks!

What has the world coming too. Maybe if you mount m16 to your buggies and claim you are there to help protect the President, they will leave you alone. LOL

Glad you guys got some time in before they kicked you out. At least they were polite!

Honestly, the police didn't really even care. The problem was that the presidential helicopter (Marine One) flew by and the Secret Service guys got nervous. Apparently kites are very scary and dangerous :P. So the Secret Service called the cops to kick us out.

lad - 7-11-2009 at 09:39 AM

Apparently kites are very scary and dangerous

Not all kites, just the Flexi 4.8m Blades....:rolleyes:

Frathouse - 7-11-2009 at 09:58 AM

Looks like Sandy point might be a good spot today. 20mph on the bay out of the south. I would prefer a little more east in it but hey nothings perfect. Heading out.

power - 7-11-2009 at 11:16 AM

Heading out to West potomac. I'll be there till around 4.

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 07:06 AM

I am pretty seriously considering heading out to Comfort Point (Cape Henlopen) tomorrow for some kitesurfing... Anyone else got plans?

Maven454 - 10-11-2009 at 07:22 AM

Work. Unlike you people who get all the government holidays :P

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454

Sucker. :)
Funny thing is, I'm not a gov'y. I just support them. And when they get the day off, so do we (most times). I'm also a vet, so... Its MY day to have some fun. :smilegrin:

Maven454 - 10-11-2009 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ragden
Quote:

Funny thing is, I'm not a gov'y. I just support them. And when they get the day off, so do we (most times). I'm also a vet, so... Its MY day to have some fun. :smilegrin:

I support them too. But even if I were one and got the day off, I'd probably still be here tomorrow because things just aren't working.

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ragden
Quote:

I support them too. But even if I were one and got the day off, I'd probably still be here tomorrow because things just aren't working.

D'oh. Hope you can get out this weekend. North Wildwood might be good on Saturday...
Low Tides on Saturday: 12:30PM -0.06

Todd - 10-11-2009 at 08:37 AM

Have fun Michael, looks like a lot of rain down here for the next couple of days. I should know something in about a week on the trip over Thanksgiving. Cross your fingers for the Mazda!

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Have fun Michael, looks like a lot of rain down here for the next couple of days. I should know something in about a week on the trip over Thanksgiving. Cross your fingers for the Mazda!

Sounds good bud. I dont have any plans for Thanksgiving yet. Might need to call a few places to see about lodging. I'm not staying at the Montego Bay again... :thumbdown:

Todd - 10-11-2009 at 09:17 AM

Why's that?

dtoast - 10-11-2009 at 09:18 AM

I have tomorrow off, but traded it for the day after Thanksgiving. Yet again I don't have the means of being able to be in the water just yet; especially not when it is cold. If not for those two things being in the way I would join you.

The idea of getting up early tomorrow morning to get in an hour of flying before work is enticing.

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Why's that?

Expensive and not comfortable for the amount we paid. Compared to the Apollo, the rooms just were not as nice... :(

Quote:
Originally posted by dtoast
I have tomorrow off, but traded it for the day after Thanksgiving. Yet again I don't have the means of being able to be in the water just yet; especially not when it is cold. If not for those two things being in the way I would join you.

The idea of getting up early tomorrow morning to get in an hour of flying before work is enticing.

I hear ya bud. I dont know if I have that day off yet or not. I'll find out later. Not that I am very worried about it either way. Wildwood might be fun on Saturday... Maybe we can do that... Just depends on how things pan out with the weather.. Really too soon to tell yet...

dtoast - 10-11-2009 at 09:52 AM

If you guys go to WW would it just be for the day or would you leave Friday?

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
If you guys go to WW would it just be for the day or would you leave Friday?

Well. I HATE doing 8 hr drives in one day. I would find somewhere to crash Friday night, and come home Saturday night, unless Sunday looks really good. If we can get enough people to bring the hotel rate down to something reasonable, I'd do that. Otherwise I'd go looking for someone to crash with who lives a little bit closer than I do to cut down on the drive just a little bit. I dont mind sleeping on the floor or a hotel if it saves me 30 bucks on the cost of a darn hotel room. I know of at least one other hotel in the area (aside from the Montego Bay), but I havent called them to find out rates yet. I'll do that and let you know how many they can accomodate, and what the rates would be. I'll follow up shortly on this with that information...

snobdr - 10-11-2009 at 10:01 AM

Unfortunately i dont have tomorrow off either. Ill be here working and sitting at this comp at lunchtime reading threads with whiners crying that there are mean people on this forum that have a different opinion then theirs.

dtoast - 10-11-2009 at 10:05 AM

I'm not even sure if I could go yet as I might have to work this weekend. :(

Is there a camp ground around there where you could set up a tent?

lad - 10-11-2009 at 10:43 AM

If U guys firm up any WW plans, I can be counted in too. :P

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
I'm not even sure if I could go yet as I might have to work this weekend. :(

Is there a camp ground around there where you could set up a tent?

Plenty of campgrounds at very reasonable rates. However, it will be quite cold. Not an issue if you have the right gear. Personally, if I am staying overnight, I will want to be indoors. :)

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 11:08 AM

Okay... did some online research with the other hotel in the area, The Bolero. Nice website: http://www.boleroresort.com

Here is the deal, according to the website, rates would look like the following.

Four people: 36 per night.
Six people: 26 per night.

Please bear in mind that I am assuming that my wife would want to go meaning we would only need 4 additional people to want to go for the reduced rate. Post here if you are interested. I can provide transportion for two people as well. :)

shehatesmyhobbies - 10-11-2009 at 12:54 PM

Are we talking about the Sat after thanksgiving? I am pretty sure to be off and would def be in for a WW cruise. The rates are even tempting for me to go over early and share a room as well. Will definitely be putting this on the front burner!

Maven454 - 10-11-2009 at 12:58 PM

At them moment, I think they are talking about Wildwood this weekend.

Knolee - 10-11-2009 at 01:06 PM

I'll be in Stone Harbor over thanksgiving. It's the island directly north of Wildwood. If theres any wind I'll be there. What's the usual meeting spot?

ragden - 10-11-2009 at 01:32 PM

Actually, we were talking about this coming weekend (14 November 09). Was looking at heading out Friday night and coming back Saturday. :)

However, Thanksgiving is an option as well. Pretty sure rates will be the same.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might have some work Friday night and wont be able to leave town until really late. Might still be worth looking into, but I'm not sure I'll have the energy to make the drive that late at night. Perhaps leaving early saturday morning and staying overnight until sunday is a better option. Though, I am not sure how good winds will be on Sunday...

shehatesmyhobbies - 10-11-2009 at 02:20 PM

Saturday is not available for me, but Rian and I have been talking about going over Sunday if the conditions look good. I will pass on the fact that you guys are going over this weekend! Hope all the conditions are great for you this weekend!

Knolee - 10-11-2009 at 03:00 PM

Just a heads up for anyone in Wildwood the weekend after thanksgiving:
I'm looking for about a 12m depower and all equipment necessary and a landboard. If anyone has anything they'd like to bring and show me that'd be great and if I like it I'll buy it from you.

shehatesmyhobbies - 10-11-2009 at 03:31 PM

Knolee, usually down the south end past the pier. in front of the Apollo at the fall bash. One of the guys Rdavis does have a board for sale, not sure about an lei though

Knolee - 10-11-2009 at 04:04 PM

Thanks SheHates. Are you gonna be around that weekend?

power - 10-11-2009 at 04:44 PM

Anyone available for west potomac on Sunday? I know the wind isn't looking that great, but forecasts usually aren't right.

Knolee - 10-11-2009 at 04:52 PM

Ugh, yeah.

power - 10-11-2009 at 05:04 PM

Of course, wind forecast is looking great for wednesday, thursday, friday, and saturday, the days I can't go kiting.

shehatesmyhobbies - 10-11-2009 at 05:13 PM

knolee, I plan on being there for that Sat. Maybe coming over that Friday night. I will get back to you

lad - 10-11-2009 at 09:08 PM

mmm...boy, this is getting confusing! So...there will be folks at WW THIS weekend...and the weekend after Turkey Day...and also people all over the DC area...and some at Dewy?

power - 10-11-2009 at 09:14 PM

pretty much

Knolee - 10-11-2009 at 09:35 PM

Lad, now the question is where will YOU be?
(winds permitting)

lad - 10-11-2009 at 09:39 PM

I _could_ be there :wink2: - but sun. looks better so far

I think we should start a separate WW thread that will kept getting bumped up each bi-weekly tide table!

Maven454 - 11-11-2009 at 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Anyone available for west potomac on Sunday? I know the wind isn't looking that great, but forecasts usually aren't right.

I might show up for a little bit. Let me know when you're there.

bobalooie57 - 11-11-2009 at 06:51 AM

Hey guys, just a thought on lodging, does anyone remember Bob, from WW fall bash, that bought Rian's rocky buggy? He said he managed condo's in WW and might be able to get some good rates(off-season). I recommended this forum to him, but I'm not sure he has ever visited. If someone were to contact him, and include him in the fun, he'd prolly bend over backwards to find something suitable for as many as will attend. I have his ph. # if anyone is interested, u2u me. Bob

william_rx7 - 11-11-2009 at 07:01 AM

Colmar Manor Map

power - 11-11-2009 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I might show up for a little bit. Let me know when you're there.

I'm hoping to get some more practice in with my depower in lower winds, but sunday might be too low. Btw, did you ever get a chance to try out your 13m scorp?

Maven454 - 11-11-2009 at 09:59 AM

Not yet. When ragden and I were at Anacostia I attempted to launch the 16m scorp, but between low wind and my inexperience, that was a failure :D. The good thing is that I figured out what I did wrong and should be able to launch correctly next time. Heck, Anacostia was the first time that I flew my Brooza and I've had that for about 8 months :).

power - 11-11-2009 at 10:10 AM

Ha I think I would have gone insane if I had to wait 8 months to fly a kite for the first time:flaming:. What makes launching those arcs, particularly the scorps, so hard? (I promise this is the last of the hijacking).

Maven454 - 11-11-2009 at 10:14 AM

Most of the problem last Friday was finicky winds. The rest of the issue just tends to be that arcs are launched in a different manner than any other kite of which I'm aware. The reason the Scorpions tend to be worse than the rest of the arcs is because they're thinner, which makes it easier for them to bow-tie.

power - 11-11-2009 at 10:21 AM

O ok. Anyone else available for sunday?

Todd - 11-11-2009 at 10:27 AM

It's not looking too good for us to make the trip with the light winds predicted, but things could change. I'll wait until it's closer to the weekend to make a choice.

power - 11-11-2009 at 10:28 AM

Ok. Todd, how long have you been a team rider for powerkiteplace?

Maven454 - 11-11-2009 at 10:30 AM

Almost as long as I've known him :lol:. So about 7 months? I was there when he and Don first discussed it.

Todd - 11-11-2009 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Ok. Todd, how long have you been a team rider for powerkiteplace?

I guess it was mid July early August time frame that Don and I talked about it. I just now put it into the sig due to the thread concerning commercial sales.

shehatesmyhobbies - 11-11-2009 at 12:12 PM

Belated congrats Todd! Kicks @$$

dtoast - 11-11-2009 at 02:07 PM

I just want to know where he launches a 24m Sny...that would be cool to see flying.

dtoast - 11-11-2009 at 02:15 PM

Side note off topic...whats a "bump" and whats a "bump to unlock"? Thanks

Todd - 11-11-2009 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
I just want to know where he launches a 24m Sny...that would be cool to see flying.

I had it out last Saturday with the buggy, got plucked out with a gust and lofted about 15-20 feet in the air. That was fun...

Thanks SHMH!

Todd - 11-11-2009 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Side note off topic...whats a "bump" and whats a "bump to unlock"? Thanks

I have no idea why Donny is doing that :lol: I guess to bring it bact to the top or TTT

Maven454 - 11-11-2009 at 02:27 PM

A bump is normally used to bring a thread back to the visibility on Today's Posts. A bump to unlock is generally someone trying to make a page visible due to the page view glitch. The page view glitch is where someone's post is the first post on a new page and the forum software decides that it's not going to display that page until there are some additional posts on the page, my suspicion is that the forum software has an "off by one" error in it somewhere :D.

power - 11-11-2009 at 03:51 PM

I know its kind of late but nice job on the sponsorship Todd. What kind of benefits do you get from that? Free kites:duh:?

Todd - 11-11-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
I know its kind of late but nice job on the sponsorship Todd. What kind of benefits do you get from that? Free kites:duh:?

Thanks! I will say this though, Don is an outstanding friend that I am proud to be a team rider for.

snobdr - 11-11-2009 at 08:21 PM

Dons so kewl, hell id be a team rider for a powerkiteplace.com shirt

Todd - 12-11-2009 at 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by snobdr
Dons so kewl, hell id be a team rider for a powerkiteplace.com shirt

Those shirts a hoodies are pretty cool...

power - 12-11-2009 at 10:07 AM

Well as of now (it'll probably change again), saturday's dead and sunday looks like it would be perfect for practicing on my depower. Who's gonna be around?

ragden - 12-11-2009 at 10:15 AM

Might be heading to the coast on Sunday (again). Not confirmed yet. With the weather predictions in the mid 60s it might be a good time to hit the water one more time... And here I thought the water season was over. Guess not. Winds in DC look light at best. Though it might be a good day to check out the bowl. Need to talk about it with the wife. If she doesnt mind camping Saturday, I'll be out of town. Otherwise, we'll just have to see what is going on.

It is really still too soon to tell what winds will be like this weekend. That prediction could change a lot. If winds go up to 10-15mph, NNW, or NW, then The Bowl would be great. Less than 10 there is really pushing it.

Lets see what the forecast says tomorrow.... :)

power - 12-11-2009 at 10:23 AM

ok sounds good

ragden - 13-11-2009 at 06:20 AM

Local winds this weekend look light and barely flyable. :megan:

I'm probably going to take another shot at kitesurfing on Saturday. Sunday I have to run some errands with the wife, but I might be able to take some time to do a little flying. I'd say either Anacostia, or Colmar Manor would be the spots to go. If anyone else is heading out, let me know and I'll try to meet you there.

Frathouse - 14-11-2009 at 06:46 AM

I thinking The bowl is looking pretty good this morning. 10mph out of the north on wunderground.com. It may be muddy and wet but a little goretex should fix that.

-Brad
301-395-nine6five7

ragden - 15-11-2009 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frathouse
I thinking The bowl is looking pretty good this morning. 10mph out of the north on wunderground.com. It may be muddy and wet but a little goretex should fix that.

-Brad

Did you make it out bud? How was the Bowl? I was at Comfort Point on the water... Had a blast. Was a real light wind day though...

Frathouse - 16-11-2009 at 10:22 AM

Made it to the Bowl and it was a mud fest. There was just barely enough wind to launch. Up high their was lots of wind but the kite angle was so extreme it was hard to really get going in the mud. Charles and I still had a blast though. Yesterday I was out out Colmar Manor and again very light wind day but I got some airtime practicing on my 7m montana III and some time on charles 18m guerilla which was impressive. I'm looking to get out today if I can finish my work early plus I just bought last night a 11m Neo so I'm hopeing to get out snow kiting this winter and then follow up on the water come spring.

-Brad

power - 16-11-2009 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like my plans. Maybe we can meet up next time there's wind.

snobdr - 16-11-2009 at 10:30 AM

power did u get out at all?

ragden - 16-11-2009 at 10:30 AM

Glad you guys had fun out there. I got rained on at the coast quite a bit, cant imagine what it was like in DC area. :)

Hopefully we can get something going this weekend.

power - 16-11-2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snobdr
power did u get out at all?

Nope. Had something going on everyday from wednesday to saturday, and come sunday, there was no wind. I'm hoping to get out this weekend as I'll hopefully have my new board to try out and it'll be my second time flying depower. Can't wait.

ragden - 17-11-2009 at 06:02 AM

Again, I have plans on Saturday, but if there is wind Sunday, I'll be out... Here is to hoping we actually have enough wind to do something with... :)

Frathouse - 18-11-2009 at 10:45 AM

Anyone got the afternoon off? Sandypoint is looking good for wind right now. I got off early so I'm heading out.

-Brad

ragden - 18-11-2009 at 11:11 AM

Can't make it. Have fun bud. :)

Frathouse - 18-11-2009 at 05:34 PM

Had an awesome afternoon at sandy point! wind was not from the best location (out of the east) would have been better with more south in it. But I made the best of it flying my 7m Montana which when it was full powered up was a little over powering latter in the day. Today was the first time I really successfully used depower in my buggy. I definitely like the "gas pedal" effect of pulling in the bar. The only bad thing was all the mud, goose #@%$#!, and crashing the kite in the muddy water, ick. Off to try cleaning my kite.

-Brad:cool2:

power - 18-11-2009 at 05:55 PM

How does Sandy point compare to west potomac park for landboarding? Are the winds cleaner because its on the water? How about size and obstacles?

Frathouse - 18-11-2009 at 07:16 PM

I've never been to west potomac so I don't know. The wind is very clean since its coming off the bay. The best wind is out of the south west. Occasionally the wind gets turbulent down near the bridge but its not bad.

Frathouse - 18-11-2009 at 07:21 PM

Oh yeah the size its not huge but the grass along the beach makes for a good run. Plus their is the bonus of the parking lots if you dare. The lots are fast in a buggy just don't try to slide it won't work real well. I have done it on a small kit on my longboard which was also fun in the lots.

power - 18-11-2009 at 07:28 PM

Hopefuly I'll get to check it out sometime soon. I need to fly somewhere besides west potomac.

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 06:31 AM

Helly all. Im a nice boy from PA. I fly a controversial brand of kites so i hope no one here cares. I hope i can get together and fly with some of you and can fit in As otheres i have met around seem to be very mean. Please U2U me if you would like to be my friend.

bobalooie57 - 19-11-2009 at 06:40 AM

Hey Snowone, been trying to u2u, but it keeps saying the u2u you are trying to save is empty, whatever. e-mail me I don't care what you fly. I'll be your friend!

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 06:49 AM

Thanx you B-Loo. I dont know why my U2U does not work. I see you are from NY. I have heard tug hill is good for snowkiting. Maybe i might have the skills to join you sno kiting this year.

ragden - 19-11-2009 at 07:53 AM

Snowone-
If you dont mind a bit of a hike, you are always welcome to join us in the DC area, or in Wildwood when we head out there. I really dont care what kind of kites you fly. :)

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 09:21 AM

Thank you ragden. Im glad no one cares, because i fly the best!

lad - 19-11-2009 at 09:57 AM

Hmmm..."SNOwone"... "from PA"...endorsing "controversial kites"...once falsely accused of having a "doctorate" as well perhaps? :cool:
Hell, you're welcome anywhere I fly - or at least, attempt to fly at.
...(just don't leave your pumps out along the runways!) :smilegrin:

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 10:01 AM

I dont know anything about that Lad. Im only allowed to kite and have fun.

lad - 19-11-2009 at 10:04 AM

FUN is what it's all about...even if we bring our own inflated expectations into it!

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 10:06 AM

Watch it lad ,you might offend me and ill report you.

indigo_wolf - 19-11-2009 at 10:09 AM

Rain

Grumble, grumble, grumble....

Hopefully not a soaking rain that takes days for the fields to dry out and orphans gophers. :ticking:

ATB,
Sam

Todd - 19-11-2009 at 10:10 AM

@ Lad :lol: I was thinking the same thing...

@Snowone, welcome! What part of PA are you from?

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 10:16 AM

Im in the south east Todd.

I feel like im missing some kind of joke?

Snowone - 19-11-2009 at 03:04 PM

PKF to Snobdr

Quote:
However controversial, for several months we have supported your right to post here but have since grown weary of the extra work required of our volunteer mods to deal with the backlash of your sour posting behavior.

Personally, I am tired of your lack of respect for our forum rules, our mods and our members. Therefore I am indefinitely suspending your posting rights until such a time that you realize that posting on a public forum has significant impact on public opinion and those looking to enter the sport needing positive support.

Although no one refutes your right to an opinion, we cannot condone your often disruptive and offensive attitude. No one is helped by these self-serving tit-for-tat arguments.

"When im attacked i respond. "

That, in a nutshell, is the reason for your suspension. It may serve you better to learn how to deal with opposing opinion in a more constructive and persuasive manner. No argument has ever been won by bickering.

Please carefully consider this message

Snobdr was completely attacked by other users. They then removed their posts when they knew they were in the wrong. Snobdr took nothing but abuse because of the kites he flys. Isnt this America where a person can speak his mind? Snobdr helped me and many others on this forum and would go out of his way to help others. It is an outrage that he is now banned from this site because a small few dont have ANY sence of humor at all.

Can we have a moment of silence for out fallen comerade.

Todd - 19-11-2009 at 04:00 PM

:wow:
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11