Power Kite Forum

DC Area riders

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Maven454 - 19-11-2009 at 04:11 PM

Wait... WTF did I miss while I was in San Diego?!?

power - 19-11-2009 at 04:50 PM

I can't believe this. What does it take to get back on the forum?

lad - 19-11-2009 at 04:50 PM

He wasn't "fallen" - just relocated under the Witness Protection Act...you know...new name and all that kind of stuff...

shehatesmyhobbies - 19-11-2009 at 06:08 PM

Welcome Snowone! hope to run into you at WW, I''m sure you've heard about it!;)

power - 19-11-2009 at 07:17 PM

Going to west potomac tomorow afternoon at around 3, as long as the forecast holds up. Anyone else going to be there?

ragden - 20-11-2009 at 08:16 AM

Cant make it today, and this weekend does not look very good. High tide in wildwood is going to be right around noon on Sunday (the only day I will be available to ride), so that isnt very condusive to riding there either. Also a good chance of rain on Sunday. Might be a good day to kick back and watch movies/play computer games...

If rains hold off, Sandy Point might be rideable, but it would be sketchy at best. Not nearly enough East in the wind to make it really rideable. Who knows, we might luck out though...

power - 20-11-2009 at 04:27 PM

Finally got out to fly my depower today. It wasn't exactly a good session, but I was just glad to get everything set up right and have enough wind to keep it in the air at times. The GI prodigy that arrived today is great, and I love the new bindings, even though they haven't been really put to the test. Thanks nfleech. Other than that, I hope for more wind over the weekend.

indigo_wolf - 20-11-2009 at 05:33 PM

You heading out tomorrow? Think Sunday is when the rain is moving back in :sniff:

ATB,
Sam

power - 20-11-2009 at 06:46 PM

Forecast is for basically no wind, so probably not.

Frathouse - 20-11-2009 at 08:22 PM

Got my 11m Neo today from angus at coastalwindsports.com can't wait to try it out. I hope there is some wind tomorrow!!!:tumble:

Frathouse - 21-11-2009 at 07:05 AM

Does anyone know of any places to kitebuggy on kent island to exploit the west winds of the bay?

-Brad

indigo_wolf - 21-11-2009 at 09:08 AM

West Potomac is hosed today due to some kind of gathering/march/demonstration. Surly constabulary forces out in great force.... with little tolerance for tourists.

ATB,
Sam

power - 21-11-2009 at 09:10 AM

Good thing its not windy.

power - 21-11-2009 at 06:50 PM

I know the forecast doesn't really mean anything yet but we're supposed to have good wind on wednesday, thursday and friday of the upcoming week according to accuweather. I think we should get some good wind at least one of those days. I'm off school at noon on wednesday and then I have thursday and friday pretty much off. Anyone available?

Maven454 - 22-11-2009 at 01:42 PM

I'll be available.

Todd - 22-11-2009 at 03:20 PM

The boy and I also... can't make WW that weekend so it's time to hit the local areas.

power - 22-11-2009 at 06:07 PM

Todd, how far are you from west potomac?

Todd - 22-11-2009 at 06:47 PM

About an hour and a half give or take.

power - 22-11-2009 at 08:19 PM

That's a hike, especially because the winds are supposed to be straight down the length of the field, the worst direction for buggying and landboarding.

Knolee - 22-11-2009 at 09:18 PM

Power and I will be making those hikes up to your guys' spots more frequently next school year when I have my license. For right now it's hard to escape west potomac because our parents dread taking us there and back. Despite the fact its only 20-30min. For us though the drive up is the time to get excited and bet on who will jump higher. The ride home to is argue about who got higher :lol:

power - 22-11-2009 at 09:28 PM

Yes very true. But the argument on the way home will usually be about how much the winds sucked, and how we didn't even get in the air:flaming:

Maven454 - 23-11-2009 at 04:18 AM

Eh, it happens. All too often in the DC area too :-(. That's why I was hoping for some useful time at WW this coming weekend, but it was not to be. Hmmm, I really need to get back down to OBX.

Knolee - 23-11-2009 at 04:56 AM

Maven (and everyone else who is interested) I'll be at the jersey shore tomorrow night. I can fly wednesday friday saturday and sunday. I'm only about 10min from wildwood.

ragden - 23-11-2009 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
Eh, it happens. All too often in the DC area too :-(. That's why I was hoping for some useful time at WW this coming weekend, but it was not to be. Hmmm, I really need to get back down to OBX.

You cannot get down to Wildwood thanksgiving weekend? I am still looking at possibly going, but I'm not 100% positive it is going to work. Funding is an issue. So, unless the wife and I are bunking with some other folks, I will not be able to afford a hotel room for myself...

If someone is interested in sharing a room for the weekend, please let me know...

Maven454 - 23-11-2009 at 08:23 AM

Todd said that he and Cory weren't going. If you're still going, I might go. But I'd prefer my own hotel room, which wouldn't save you money, thus you're likely not going :rolleyes:.

ragden - 23-11-2009 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Todd said that he and Cory weren't going. If you're still going, I might go. But I'd prefer my own hotel room, which wouldn't save you money, thus you're likely not going :rolleyes:.

doh

shehatesmyhobbies - 24-11-2009 at 02:04 PM

Rian and I are considering WW Sat, winds look good, high tide around 4pm. Going to go look at the DE beaches on Friday and see if they are going to be worth riding first. I heard they really got tore up! I will keep you guys posted on where we are going to go. Would definitely like to go to WW. We are just going to take the first ferry over on Sat. and the last one home!

Ragden, how far are you from the ferry? Which route do you take to get to the ferry?

lad - 24-11-2009 at 02:59 PM

Yahoo weather sez 59, cloudy and WINDY for Fri. at WW :-)

shehatesmyhobbies - 24-11-2009 at 04:06 PM

I'm workn so Friday is out for me.:( Hope to see you on sat lad.

ragden - 25-11-2009 at 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shehatesmyhobbies
Ragden, how far are you from the ferry? Which route do you take to get to the ferry?

I'm in Springield, VA. I dont take the ferry. I'll be driving up 95 to US-40 East, down to 55 south, etc..

Took the ferry once when I camped in Cape Henlopen. Was nice for that one trip, but coming from home, I'll drive up 95.

Just looked at weather conditions. I'll be heading up tonight staying in Wildwood until Sunday. I havent made my reservations yet, but will probably stay at the Star Lux. If anyone wants to crash with us, please let me know before noon today. Otherwise, the room we are getting will only have one bed. Couch will be open for someone if they are interested though... If anyone wants a ride up tonight with us, I think I'll have room to accomodate one in the car with us...

shehatesmyhobbies - 25-11-2009 at 11:44 AM

Rian and I are hoping to be going on Saturday morning! When we get there we will look you up. I think he still has your number.

ragden - 25-11-2009 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shehatesmyhobbies
Rian and I are hoping to be going on Saturday morning! When we get there we will look you up. I think he still has your number.

I've got his number. :)
Unless otherwise stated, I think we will be meeting at Crocus Avenue on Saturday. MIGHT change that to the Apollo parking lot. Hard call. Both are good locations to setup on the south-east facing beach.

I'll post here when we have a concrete decision on which location. Or you can just call me. :)

Knolee - 25-11-2009 at 11:58 AM

I'm 10min from WW. Let me know before you go. If you want to call me PM me and I'll give you my cell.

shehatesmyhobbies - 25-11-2009 at 05:45 PM

I am making our ferry reservations Friday. We will be there Sat late morning!See you there.

lad - 25-11-2009 at 06:15 PM

I ~~might~~ crawl my way over there if Sat. shapes up well - only worth getting there in the Am before high tide (I hope the wind is up and the sludge is down).

ragden - 26-11-2009 at 07:23 AM

High tide is late in the afternoon. While I am sure I will be on the beach pretty early, low tide is around 1100, with the high tide at 1700hrs. Beach will be rideable, until about 1400. So, yeah, morning will be the best, but if winds are decent enough, we might be able to keep riding as the tide comes in. Really depends. Either way, hope to see you there.. :)

Todd - 26-11-2009 at 08:38 AM

Have fun guys and tear up some same for me!

shehatesmyhobbies - 26-11-2009 at 04:36 PM

Sure are going to miss you Todd & Cory! Won't be the same without you! Hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

See the rest of you there on Saturday!

Todd - 26-11-2009 at 07:53 PM

Thanks man! Looking forward to riding with you soon, I'll shoot you my cell to keep in touch and I hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic as well.

Now rip up some sand and please take some pictures :smilegrin:

Power are you flying on Saturday?

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 05:57 AM

Todd, Power and I will be flying today if you can make it. I don't know about tomorrow or not.

lad - 27-11-2009 at 07:52 AM

Hmmm...25-35mph winds at WNW seem ideal today for WW - but rain is in forecast.

Sat. has only W winds, still at 25-35, but no rain. If I can get my carcass up and out in the morning, I will be there.

ragden - 27-11-2009 at 08:43 AM

On our way down to wildwood right now. Will be there in about an hour. Hope to see you there. :)

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 09:44 AM

Well, once again kicked out of a park by the police. This time the guy (DC Police) claimed that kiting isn't allow in national parks at all except on special days. Which is funny, because that's certainly not what the National Park Police have told me.

ragden - 27-11-2009 at 01:13 PM

How long were you flying before you got kicked? Come back tomorrow and hopefully you get a different cop.

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 01:18 PM

I flew the Flow for a bit and was attempting to launch the Scorpion when the cop showed up. Power had the Nemesis off the ground a few times but didn't get much flying.

indigo_wolf - 27-11-2009 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Well, once again kicked out of a park by the police. This time the guy (DC Police) claimed that kiting isn't allow in national parks at all except on special days. Which is funny, because that's certainly not what the National Park Police have told me.

Making up laws and statutes is a time honored tradition among most of the constabulary regardless of province. Translation: "I have a 9mm or 40 cal, we'll do it my way."

I have flown dual lines at the base of the Washington Monument without being harrassed, but I suspect that was mostly because they don't have the same "presence" in the sky as a 3+M foil.

Apologies to anyone in law enforcement for the gross generalization, but ...

I have been tagged for passing in a no passing zone when there were actually 5 distinct passing zones when I checked the area that was noted in the citation during daylight hours... something I would have expected a PO local to the area to know without having to check.

Was this West Potomac you got evicted from?

ATB,
Sam

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 01:37 PM

Yeah, the row of softball fields in West Potomac Part. He said that it was inside the restricted airspace for Reagan (technically true) and that there had been complaints (seems unlikely as none of the planes had been anywhere nearby at all and there hadn't been any helicopters). Then he added that flying in National Parks was forbidden except on specific days.

I never bother to argue with the cops about it, arguing with cops (like most authority figures) never seems to get anywhere. I just ask them why we have to leave and then agree to leave.

indigo_wolf - 27-11-2009 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
I never bother to argue with the cops about it, arguing with cops (like most authority figures) never seems to get anywhere. I just ask them why we have to leave and then agree to leave.

Unfortunately, that's the best tack. I just hate it when legal assertions are based on spur of the moment thinking or devoid of logic.

Yes, Regan is within the 5 mile limit.... however, I expect you weren't flying anywhere near 500ft. When those FAA regs were written, I suspect SLKs were the most prevalent kites... and no one has felt like fighting that uphill battle since then.

And yes, I probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:

ATB,
Sam

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo_wolf
Quote:

Unfortunately, that's the best tack. I just hate it when legal assertions are based on spur of the moment thinking or devoid of logic.

Yes, Regan is within the 5 mile limit.... however, I expect you weren't flying anywhere near 500ft. When those FAA regs were written, I suspect SLKs were the most prevalent kites... and no one has felt like fighting that uphill battle since then.

And yes, I probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:

ATB,
Sam

Yeah, but because of that 500ft limit, helicopters have to stay below 500ft. And they like to travel along the river, so if it's not Reagan complaining about the kites, it's the helicopter pilots... Though I've been told that as long as the kite is below 100ft, it's okay. And since most of us very rarely (if ever) fly on lines longer than 100ft, it shouldn't be an issue. But again, arguing with cops :ticking:.

power - 27-11-2009 at 03:21 PM

Yes cops are a pain, and if you argue they're just gonna try and flex their muscles and ticket you or something like that. But at least I've discovered a new great flying spot-
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&...

indigo_wolf - 27-11-2009 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
But at least I've discovered a new great flying spot-

Aren't those radio towers?

Granted even the light towers at some of the fields in Harvey Garcelon Sports Complex‎/Kinder Farm Park (Millersville, MD) make me nervous.... although it is still a nice spot. Definitely worth a look by anyone in the MD/DC area
Harvey Garcelon Sports Complex

On the plus side, after you are done flying, you can commune with the goats at the farm across the drive from the parking lot. :spin:

I called my girlfriend from there, and she wanted to know where the heck I was and why were there goats in the background. :puzzled:

ATB,
Sam

Maven454 - 27-11-2009 at 04:00 PM

Hmmm... That's (according to Google) less than an hour away. Might be worth looking at sometime.

indigo_wolf - 27-11-2009 at 04:18 PM

They were laying down new sod at the end of the summer when I was out there, so some of the fields were off limits, but that party should have ended a long time ago. Expect there were will be plenty of times the place is a ghost town. The goats and some senior citizens out for some walking were the only life forms I saw there... was actually kind of surreal.

ATB,
Sam

shehatesmyhobbies - 27-11-2009 at 06:30 PM

Rian and I will be on the 9:15 ferry to Cape May. We should be there by 11:45. We will call You when we get there to find you! See you guys in the morn. Gonna be a long cold ride. Not to mention bumpy! Hope to tame some of those winds.

ragden - 27-11-2009 at 07:35 PM

see ya there...

shehatesmyhobbies - 28-11-2009 at 05:40 PM

Awesome time today, Wind was definitely "nuking".

Had a great time even though not much fly time. Can't wait to do it again. Great seeing you guys. Till the next time.:wee:

power - 28-11-2009 at 05:46 PM

Yes even in D.C. the wind was blowing. Had a nice session, with a few lofting's:smilegrin:, but depower is so much harder than I thought. I flew for 2 hours before I had to pack it up and I could never even manage to get on the board.:barf:

Maven454 - 28-11-2009 at 05:47 PM

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Power got lofted around 12 to 15 feet. That was when he decided maybe there was too much wind for the 10m :lol:.

power - 28-11-2009 at 05:48 PM

Just a tad too much wind:thumbup::lol:

ragden - 28-11-2009 at 06:23 PM

Did you redirect and land softly, or did you crash and burn?
Hope you learned your lesson...
You have to be careful what winds you fly that big beast in. :smilegrin:

lad - 28-11-2009 at 06:41 PM

I know of at least two nice depowers that got a line snapped at WW today (one of them was mine :ninja: )

Knolee - 28-11-2009 at 07:11 PM

Lad was this after I left? Which was it? and the other?

lad - 28-11-2009 at 07:49 PM

Access and FS!

Knolee - 28-11-2009 at 07:51 PM

Brians flysurfer!?

power - 28-11-2009 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ragden
Did you redirect and land softly, or did you crash and burn?
Hope you learned your lesson...
You have to be careful what winds you fly that big beast in. :smilegrin:

A few of the loftings I got the redirect. The big one- well, errr, um, hmmm- no:no:. But yes I learned my lesson (but it'll probably happen again):singing:. Is the nemesis known to be a real lifty kite?

ragden - 29-11-2009 at 07:04 AM

I dont really know how lifty the kite is, but it is pretty aggressive, and turns on a dime.

power - 29-11-2009 at 07:21 AM

I figured that out yesterday, and although it can be a handful, I think once I'm able to get on the board with it I'll love the lift and grunt it can deliver.

Maven454 - 29-11-2009 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lad
I know of at least two nice depowers that got a line snapped at WW today (one of them was mine :ninja: )

Not the Access I hope? Having read further down the thread :rolleyes:... It's the Access :(. That makes me sad.

lad - 29-11-2009 at 11:33 AM

You think it makes YOU sad...:no::duh:

Maven454 - 29-11-2009 at 12:52 PM

Was it one of the flying lines I hope? And not one of the bridle lines?

lad - 29-11-2009 at 02:55 PM

Center power line - I think there was a small, tight knot in it when I got it.

Knolee - 29-11-2009 at 04:34 PM

How come knots weaken lines so drastically?

indigo_wolf - 29-11-2009 at 04:58 PM

http://everything2.com/title/How+knots+weaken+rope

Add to that that dyneema, spectra, and most of modern kiting lines (not SLK lines) all have a relatively low melting points. Knots that generate friction will generally degrade the line fairly quickly.

Any SLK (polyester/dacron) line will burn through Spectra or Dyeema in a very short time (read sub-10 seconds), it there is any real tension at all).

Nothin like watching your flying lines getting smoked by an 8 year old with a diamond kite. :no:

ATB,
Sam

rdavis - 30-11-2009 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lad
Center power line - I think there was a small, tight knot in it when I got it.

I assure you, there were no knots in the lines.

lad - 30-11-2009 at 10:28 PM

No fault there, bro. I could'a kinked it later somehow and got a knot or wear. I'm going to try a temp patch with some flat spectral loop.

power - 2-12-2009 at 08:46 PM

Going tomorow afternoon with knolee at 3 as long as the forecast holds true. Anybody available?

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 04:09 AM

If I'd thought to stick a kite in my car, I'd be out there with you, but since I didn't... I may or may not show up just to watch and give "creative" advice :D.

Todd - 3-12-2009 at 05:13 AM

Power U2U me.

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 05:15 AM

Haven't called yet.

power - 3-12-2009 at 05:16 AM

I don't think permission is a real problem. Its pretty secluded and its imbedded in a neighborhood so its not very visible. I say we don't ask and only deal with the authorities if they decide to show up.

Todd - 3-12-2009 at 05:18 AM

Power U2U me.

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 05:19 AM

Todd, U2U me your email address, I don't think I've got it anywhere. Then I can send you those pictures.

Never mind, I'll use the one that you have listed on here :D.

dtoast - 3-12-2009 at 08:29 AM

They just let you walk on and fly there?

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
I don't think permission is a real problem. Its pretty secluded and its imbedded in a neighborhood so its not very visible. I say we don't ask and only deal with the authorities if they decide to show up.

Not really a very good policy for Private Property.

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtoast
They just let you walk on and fly there?

There are signs posted with contact info and statements that it is private property. Todd is going to contact them and see what we get. It should be noted that it's not quite as nice as it looks from a satellite view. There are two valleys that run across that field.

ragden - 3-12-2009 at 08:46 AM

Always better to ask first before you head somewhere. Even if they are amicable to letting you fly there, if you just show up unanncounced, they will be less likely to let you stay.

When snowkiting in upstate New York, we always checked with the owners of an area before setting up on their land, even though we knew we had permission already. Its a common courtesy thing. :)

ragden - 3-12-2009 at 09:00 AM

Lets try this one more time... This coming Sunday at the Bowl looks tempting...
Anyone game? I dont mind light winds, as long as its the right direction...
I'll check forecast Saturday and post if I'm heading that way...

Frathouse - 3-12-2009 at 09:05 AM

I wish I didn't have to go to New England this weekend I would so go to the bowl if the wind was right. Hopefully I will be out at Colmar this afternoon if I get stuff done today.

power - 3-12-2009 at 10:00 AM

Sorry for my policy about kiting on private property. I just don't want to risk losing another spot, but calling is the right thing to do.

Todd - 3-12-2009 at 10:26 AM

The phone call has been placed and I left a message. Ragden, you know exactly why this was addressed. I truly wish we could have stayed at the other site, it so much potential.

The Bowl might be a plan!

dtoast - 3-12-2009 at 03:12 PM

Did anyone make it out today? Saw wind was gusting up to 32mph.

Todd - 3-12-2009 at 03:16 PM

Permission has been granted but not without conditions.

1. Stay away from the house, there is a high voltage feed going to it.
2. There will be dogs present at times and are to be on a leash. The Chief Engineer asked that if we see this not being obeyed to please say something to them. Additionally to please make sure they are cleaning up after the dog.

I will be bringing a trash bag to pick up after others who can't. Trash only ;)

This could be a very nice thing and I hope everyone can adhere by what is asked.

shehatesmyhobbies - 3-12-2009 at 03:17 PM

I have got to make time and get down to this spot you guys all the "bowl". sounds interesting! I have to work this weekend maybe next! Have a good time flying this weekend!

Maven454 - 3-12-2009 at 03:25 PM

I believe power and Knolee made it out, though not to the bowl.

Knolee - 3-12-2009 at 04:42 PM

Power and I got out and had a great time. Winds were good, a bit gusty but nothing too bad. I did some static jumping with my 4.1 for a while, which was fun. I packed up when I reached the end of the field and went back upwind to watch power landboard.

lad - 3-12-2009 at 05:16 PM

so, you guys made it out to the antennae field? - It wasn't too muddy?

power - 3-12-2009 at 05:25 PM

Not muddy at all. Finally got going on the board, when that kite is downwind of you but just off to one side a little and you're just cruising along, it feels great. Might be heading out there tomorow afternoon as well, we'll see about the wind.

Frathouse - 3-12-2009 at 05:37 PM

Made it out to Colmar today and it was extremely muddy but still fun. Unfortunately my riding didn't last long since the bar on my 3m scout got ripped out of my hands and snapped the safety bungee. I'm getting sick of getting whipped by the safety leash, does anyone know of a better safety leash for the HQ cross-over scout bar? I almost left after I snapped the line because I was pissed but I'm glad I stayed. Jim Cosca from Sky Dog Kites brought out some his kite line. I got to test fly their SDT(Sky Dog Traction) 2.8m kite. I was surprised by the power today got a few 5ft jumps which is impressive for 225lb guy on such a small kite. I'm not sure how they compare price wise to a HQ Beamer but they definitely fly similarly if not a little better. I really liked the turning speed and the handles are much better than the Beamer handles. See you guy when I get back from Boston!

Knolee - 3-12-2009 at 05:43 PM

The good thing about flying at the field me and power flew at is that the rolling hills are angled in favorable directions. The majority of the area is flat, but with gradual slopes leading down on all sides allowing the water to flow away from the main flying area. There was a little trench at the east side that had little puddles. I shouldn't have been down there anyway. I didn't plan to end up there, but it wasn't my choice :roll:

lad - 3-12-2009 at 05:49 PM

It;s not nearly as close by to me as the Bowl. But it definitely looks like a nice, big area on the aerial photos - u guys need to make some vids!
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11