Power Kite Forum

nasa delta para-wing kite

Pages:  1    3  

sadsack - 23-1-2015 at 02:58 PM

Hi,
Will I been thinking about this for a lone time. Took a brake from working on my kites shop and made a bar for "golden girl".

rod.JPG - 54kB

I could Have got by with one brake line, but I put 2 there just to be safe. the brake line can be adjusted for what kite you are flying. The NPW are very touchy about their brakes. I going to put ends on the bar for the line set.
renny:frog:

sadsack - 27-1-2015 at 05:56 PM

Here is some nice u tube on ss delta.

single skin one line kite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5kbImfpKU

30m2 NPW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYsjo0PUnYI

single line flight with single keel parawing and auto pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlcvsx3cmt8

delta parachute jump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUayyTdPoI

bigE123 - 28-1-2015 at 01:50 AM

:D Why oh why 30m2!!!! You could use your car as a buggy!

sadsack - 28-1-2015 at 04:27 AM

The people standing next to the kite when it was getting ready to take off looked like ant next to a big building.

Randy - 29-1-2015 at 03:58 PM

Not exactly a NS3, but I thought it was cute, so I built this .7m NPW 5. Simplified bridles - only 22. Flew right away, as a two line, though the plans don't really specify. (Had to have google translate the plan from Spanish, but I don't think it says one way or the other.) Would be very good for the first NASA to build.

http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/nasa07/nasa07.html

Randy - 29-1-2015 at 03:58 PM

Not exactly a NS3, but I thought it was cute, so I built this .7m NPW 5. Simplified bridles - only 22. Flew right away in very little wind. This shows it flying as a two line, though the plans don't really specify dual or quad so I flew both ways. (Had to have google translate the plan from Spanish, but I don't think it says one way or the other.) Would be very good for the first NASA to build.

http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/nasa07/nasa07.html

sadsack - 29-1-2015 at 05:54 PM

cute, you have a winner there Randy

bigE123 - 30-1-2015 at 03:44 AM

Nice one Randy!

PHREERIDER - 2-2-2015 at 08:36 AM

great stuff guys , man i'm diggin' that tracked descender!

Randy - 2-2-2015 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PHREERIDER  
great stuff guys , man i'm diggin' that tracked descender!

What do you do with it? Use it with a kite or by itself?

Randy - 4-2-2015 at 03:29 PM

A couple of projects I just finished and my current one. Except for the small white kite (.7m), these are all about as big as I can make from one yard of fabric ~1 meter or a bit more depending on the design.

photo1.jpg - 30kBpsmile.jpg - 145kBpf.jpg - 37kB

sadsack - 4-2-2015 at 05:23 PM

I will be back making kite soon, all most done with the new shop. I skied a good part of the day today good wind and a lot of snow.

Randy - 5-2-2015 at 08:42 PM

Got some wind today and flew my latest - 1 m single keel NPW, but this time the design doesn't use a carbon tube for control, rather double keel bridles as suggest by the author of 2e5.com. I tried this already on my 1.8M as well. I'm working on building all of the common NPWs (5, single keel, 9 and 21) from 1 yard of ripstop to improve my sewing skills and try to compare their flight characteristics in about the same size kite. (I also have some tendonitis in my elbow, which is making it hard to fly bigger kites for long at the moment. A kite bar is out for now - have to use hand controls which don't seem to bother me.)

bigE123 - 6-2-2015 at 04:09 AM

Nice vid Randy, really like the look of that single keel :D Are you flying it purely as a two line kite?

Randy - 6-2-2015 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bigE123  
Nice vid Randy, really like the look of that single keel :D Are you flying it purely as a two line kite?

Thanks. Yes - 2 line. The JC design was as a 2 line and my earlier versions followed his plan. Bill from 2E5.com suggested doubling the keel line (half connecting to the right and half to the left wing) to eliminate the carbon tube in JC's plan, which I implemented here. Now, he also suggested adding two lines to the brakes to make it quad which I might try as well (sort of like the v- z-bridle idea.) I think it would help on the turning so I'm probably going to try that.

Nearing completion of 1.25 m NPW 21 sail. More to follow.

bigE123 - 6-2-2015 at 06:39 AM

Looking forward to see what you think, you're gathering a good selection of similar sized kites that you can try back-to-back.

Randy - 6-2-2015 at 09:37 AM

I've already done some comparing of my NPW5, NPW5-P and Single Keel all one meter. The 5-P so far is probably the best in terms of wind window (120 degrees or better). Maybe the new Single Keel is second (a bit less). The 5 is lucky to get 90, however, it was the first one I built and using tarp and tape. My .7 m NPW-5, however, does better on wind window, despite simplified bridles. Nose collapse, big problem on the original 5 is almost eliminated on the 5-P, and the Single Keel seems pretty resistant to it, though it will collapse and entire wing if turned to sharply. Single keel is by far the most stable, and I can often fly it right across the ground at a few feet. As for pull and speed - I can't say - its whichever has the most wind. I've been using two line pretty much on these kites except my old 5.

I would say that all my risptop kites seem to fly as well (and maybe as fast) as my 1.2 M Prism Snapshot, which I find interesting. I have a 1.4 M HQ Rush trainer which is nowhere near as good. My NASA's are flying when it can't even get off the ground. Plus, they are much more prone to stay flying.

One caveat - my usual flying spot is a small park, with lots of trees and obstructions so wind window may be distorted - the HQ trainer kite seems to hate the place.

sadsack - 6-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

All of my SS-delta I flew as a 4 line kite. I found my 12 SS-delta, as soon as I can I will get some photo of it. it is 2.8M2.

Randy - 6-2-2015 at 11:42 AM

Renny - is that camera working out ok for you?

soliver - 6-2-2015 at 01:48 PM

Randy, I'm curious how the pull is on the single keel?... Wondering what it might be like in a bigger size; like 3m maybe?!?!

sadsack - 6-2-2015 at 02:55 PM

Randy, yes I have only used so far 1 time. but it worked very well.

soliver I have a 6' by 12' ss delta that is 2.8M2. It fly very well, I found out the bigger the

single keel NPW is the better it fly's. It has alot of pull for a delta. I gave it away to the boy club last summer, not knowing I did. I went back and got it last week. As soon as I can I will take some photos of it.

Randy - 7-2-2015 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Randy, I'm curious how the pull is on the single keel?... Wondering what it might be like in a bigger size; like 3m maybe?!?!

It seems comparable to the other small NASA's I've made, which all seemed better than the larger (1.2m) Snapshot. My 1.8 has more pull than I feel comfortable using in much wind. I'm thinking of going bigger. I've got a really nice 4 meter, so I'm thinking 2-3 at some point. The single keel also seemed to have good pull near the edge of the wind window.

soliver - 7-2-2015 at 10:42 AM

Hey guys, I've taught a kite making class at my daughters' homeschool co-op for the last few years and have always used tyvek for fabric due to the cost. I'm simplifying what I'm doing this year and am thinking maybe I'll use ripstop... What are you guys using, where do you buy it and how much does it cost.... I've found a very simple plan on kite plan base for a delta single line.

I've bought kite specific ripstop from into the wind before but it was almost $12 a yard.

Randy - 7-2-2015 at 10:58 AM

I got 12 yards, all different colors from Emmakites.com - a company in China, but with a US office in LA. I think it was about $40 including mailing all the way from China. Took about 3 weeks I think, but it seems like good fabric. I recently bought 2 yards from JoAnn fabric for $7/yd. They seem to have lots of coupon deals so you might do better. I had a 30% off coupon but since the fabric was on sale for $1 off, they wouldn't allow me to use it. I think Renny posted about getting their ripstop for 75% off one time. Neither the JoAnn or Emmakites fabric is the "crispy" kind and neither is super light from what I can tell.

I've never used tyvek, but I've heard its good. Main problem I saw was finding it in small quantities rather than house wrap size. Dollar tree tarps only weight about 3 oz/sq meter and are a ripstop material (believe it or not.) They do fly well enough and are certainly strong enough, and you can get any color you want as long as its blue. (Their duct tape does come in colors and works just fine.) I made a pocket sled kite out of the stuff in addition to my earlier NASA's and it flies ok. Would take more wind though. You can sew it just like regular fabric, but I found it works better with a Walking foot.

soliver - 7-2-2015 at 11:12 AM

Thanks Randy... Good info.... The stuff from Into the Wind is the crispy stuff... Depending on the quantity I need (# of students) I may still use it... I've used the Joann stuff with not as good results in the past.

bigE123 - 7-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

I use a Singapore based kite shop "passion for kites", at the moment my favourite is the Mirai rip-stop at 48g/m2 comes in one piece as well for bigger builds. The feel of the fabric is spot on.

Randy - 7-2-2015 at 02:51 PM

I use a Singapore based kite shop "passion for kites", at the moment my favourite is the Mirai rip-stop at 48g/m2 comes in one piece as well for bigger builds. The feel of the fabric is spot on.

I've seen their web page but was a little reluctant to order overseas (though the Chinese outfit worked out well.)

Does shipping cost much? Does it take long to get it?

BTW - their stuff looks like a bargain - Singapore $ = .8 of US$ as well.

sadsack - 7-2-2015 at 03:44 PM

If I am making a NPW I use Joann , when i get 50% of some time I buy alot. Last time I have 50% of I got 20 yards of white at $4.00 a yard. It works good for NPW. I have used tyvek a lot.
It is very cheap I can get 3 foot by 60 foot for under 10 bucks. I have made all kinds of kites with it.
renny

Randy - 10-2-2015 at 08:56 PM

Finally got around to finishing my NPW21, putting quad lines on the single keel, and a smile on the face of the little NPW5. Here's a video with all those, and my NPW5-P all on the same day.

sadsack - 10-2-2015 at 09:07 PM

lol, very nice, more snow this week, maybe i can get some photos for you.
renny

bigE123 - 14-2-2015 at 02:58 AM

Well done Randy, it would be interesting hearing how you find each model, I'm sure each one will have a different characteristic now you have the chance to fly them side-by-side.

PS Looks like you are really getting to grips with the sewing machine, are you thinking of going for a bigger build yet?

Randy - 14-2-2015 at 08:03 PM

Thanks. Here's a video of the NPW 21by itself. Special thanks to bigE123 for all his help on this build. Still needs a bit of fine tuning, but its getting there.

I am getting better with sewing, but have a long way to go. I plan to do a few more 1 M projects first then got to a 2.5 m. Given my work space setup, its hard to go very big and I have a really nice 4.0 NPW9 from the Susan, the NPW Godess and a NS2 5.5 so don't need much bigger.

I might do something crazy like a Moko just for the heck of it. http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/moco2/moco2.html

sadsack - 15-2-2015 at 08:34 AM

Yes, it must be nice to have good weather to fly in, it is -3 here but sunny.:lol:

soliver - 28-2-2015 at 07:42 PM

hey all you kite making guys... I'd love a link for a good how-to on building an NPW ... I am thinking I'd like to give it a try. What model do you guys think is best? I was reading above that you guys seem to have a high opinion of the NPW21

Randy - 1-3-2015 at 07:47 AM

Spencer,

Since I'm still a novice at this, perhaps I should not chime in, but I can tell based on recent memory my impressions pretty well.

http://www.kiteplans.org/cat_3/sub_34/

The best resource to start with is kiteplans.org. They have lots of NASA plans, but most are 5's or 9's. Bear in mind - these are mainly "plans" - not really "instructions." The Tom White NPW9 calculator is much more detailed in terms of how to build one and is by far the best resource. That said, it concentrates on cascade bridles (which is a lot to start off with) and the 9 is not the first kite I would build. I'll discuss why later. His NPW5 calculator is very good as well - just not nearly as detailed. No matter what you do - take a very long look at Tom White's NPW 9 calculator.

The one you choose, depends a bit on what your reasons for doing it are. If you want something simple to start with, to perhaps engage the kids with then, then I would go with the .7 M smiley face kite. It is very simple (21 bridles), can be built with one yard of cloth and its small enough for the kids to fly in light wind. Plus, on a day with a ton of wind - its a lot of fun to fly. The plans have to be translated, but by looking at the Tom White calculators, and using the bridling it will be fine.)

Now, if your reasoning is to build your own performance kite to pull your buggy, then I'd still start with a NPW5, but follow Tom White's calculator to get started. After building that - then you could decide if you want to go on to the 9 or 21. That said - unless you have a lot of spare time (which I think you don't) having Susan make one for you would be a much better option. Her prices are very reasonable and her work is excellent. More expensive would be the NS series from Born, also great kites. My first build probably took 30-40 hours and it used lots of shortcuts - including almost no sewing.

I think that at present the 9 is still the "gold standard" for a performance NPW kite. It is also the most challenging to fly, and pretty difficult to build. The main issue, for me, was the number of bridles. Its got 48 and it took me hours (probably 12-16) to do the 36 on my first NPW 5. (Now I can do the same thing in probably less than 4-5.) I've built 2 NPW9's now.

The 21 is not nearly as far along on the development process. Ian and other experts are working at refining it, but its still a work in progress. I've built two of them now. The first one from web plans and the second one with Ian's help, which flies well. Its a bit more complex to build and probably has the same wind window as the 9, but perhaps not as much pull. It not as challenging to fly as the 9s. I think its a good compromise between performance and flight characteristics.

I like the single keel - but I don't think its what you are looking for, if performance is the goal, and there are only "plans" available, not "instructions", per se. It is the easiest of the bunch to build and I like to fly it.

I've built 14 NPW's now - and they have all flown, and for the most part pretty well. If you look at my youtube page, you can see all of them except my latest 9b (the footage I got wasn't very good). My learning curve pretty much had to go this route - trial and error, teach myself to sew etc, and I've enjoyed it a lot. All of the various experts have been extremely helpful and willing to answer my emails and make helpful suggestions and provide encouragement. Its been a lot of fun. So go for it.

Snapshot 1 (2-2-2015 6-36 PM).png - 147kB

Randy - 1-3-2015 at 07:51 AM

Here's a few more of my videos from my most recent builds.

2 Meter NPW5-P Wide (combining ideas from Tom White, Jan Claes, Bill Painter and Ian).

My ram air single keel:

ssayre - 1-3-2015 at 08:01 AM

Randy, that ram air single keel is wild looking. It looks like its alive. Nice work bro.

Randy - 1-3-2015 at 09:25 AM

Thanks - it looks to me like a nasty hornet (Green Hornet??:D) with its head cut off. I was thinking of putting something pointing on the end to look like a stinger. (Or maybe making one yellow and black - to be a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket, but I'm not really a Tech fan.)

Or maybe I could go with some sort of Jurrasic Park theme...

sadsack - 1-3-2015 at 09:33 AM

I like your 5p, so many kite, such little time.

sadsack - 1-3-2015 at 04:47 PM

To Spencer or anybody that want to build ss delta kites,

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/files.php?pid=279922&aid=8...

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/files.php?pid=279922&aid=8...

here is the first one I made. I am making the lines for it there.

Here all the info that you need to build one, of any size.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1fxm7d05f2n3d1i

Just download this file and unzip it.
start building:lol:

soliver - 1-3-2015 at 04:48 PM

Great advice Randy, I'll probably try to make one sooner than later... Just have a few other things to do first. I may try to do a 5 later this spring if I can. I've got your number if I need help :thumbup:

soliver - 1-3-2015 at 06:43 PM

looking for a mac friendly NPW calculator... saw the post earlier from sad sack but thats just a calculator app, not a NPW specific calculator.

This looks like a simple NPW5 plan giving you the capability to manually calculate measurements http://freedom2000.free.fr/NPW_plans_eng.html but curious about different plans.

thoughts?

bigE123 - 2-3-2015 at 05:15 AM

:D It's one thing getting addicted to kites, getting in to building and flying your own lifts it to a whole new level of addiction! I've just spent 4 weeks working away from home, the result? A new 5m2 build, no idea what they must have thought at the hotel as the room was transformed in to a sewing room!

Figures for this one is a 5m2, AR - 4.2, 16 bridles done another 88 to do!

Still keeping my hand in the NPW21 side, tried a new profile out on my 3m but it seemed to suffer in lower wind, looking at the profile I think I reduced the AoA too much, re-calculated the profile with a higher AoA so will report back if it's any better than the original NASA profile.

robinsonpr - 2-3-2015 at 05:25 AM

Wanna try that baby next to my Peak when it's done!?!?!? Howling wind for the next few days in Stevo, nasty top end on the gusts though!

bigE123 - 2-3-2015 at 06:24 AM

The looks I got as I tried to casually walk back in to work after having a quick blast in your buggy, I was mud splattered every where :D

I think this one will be a better size match to put up against your Peak.

bobalooie57 - 2-3-2015 at 09:06 AM

I just found this in my 'other' folder, under messages on my FB page. A photographer had snapped it while I was riding at Southwick in the fall of 2013! She was looking at photo's tagged with Southwick, and came across some of my Southwick photo's and sent me the pic! Riding with power flying my 2.4M NPW5 (HQ).

bobalooie.jpg - 31kB

Randy - 2-3-2015 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
looking for a mac friendly NPW calculator... saw the post earlier from sad sack but thats just a calculator app, not a NPW specific calculator.

This looks like a simple NPW5 plan giving you the capability to manually calculate measurements http://freedom2000.free.fr/NPW_plans_eng.html but curious about different plans.
thoughts?

A quick look at the results shows the dimensions and bridles are about the same as the other calculators I've seen, including Tom White's. There are quite a few around but I don't know which work on Mac. The Art and Flyworks plan (also on kiteplans.org) is very similar but gives some detail on how to go about building the kite.

This plan is in French (which I can read a little) and it helped me understand how to do the bridles better than the rest - its very simple - just tie a knot. The other plans mainly use cascade bridling, knotless loops, fids and other things that made my eyes glaze over at the time. Some of the plans out there are for people who are already experts.

http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/nasa6/nasa6.html

bigE123 - 2-3-2015 at 09:58 AM

Agreed Randy, all my NPWs were done using double slipper knots and stopper knots, doesn't look as pretty as the knotless loops but a quick shake soon clears everything. The fid thing on fine bridle lines makes me shiver, for my latest build I'm making knotless loops but sewing them and that adds even more time to the build. Sub 5m I'd go "classic" bridle and the need for knots is only one at each end. I use 30 - 60 daN rated lines and even if you half for a knot is still plenty man enough to do the job.

Randy - 2-3-2015 at 10:18 AM

Ian,

I love your hotel room photo. If my wife ever says "You are addicted to kite making" I can show her this and say "I'm not that bad - I don't build them in hotel rooms."

bigE123 - 2-3-2015 at 10:51 AM

:D sadly that's in my house, the hotel room didn't have any where to hang it fully opened out. We have beams on the ceiling.... ideal for putting nails in to hang kites and bridle lines! :D

soliver - 2-3-2015 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for the U2U's and the emails Ian,... it looks like the plans you sent in the U2U look exactly the same as the one I posted above. So it's just a matter of doing the math to figure things out if I want to make a different size. I may postpone building something as I'm sure my honey will look at the honey-do list more closely now that I can walk. HOWEVER, I am giving it a little more serious consideration. I'll be in touch, I'm sure.

bigE123 - 2-3-2015 at 01:53 PM

With the right plans you don't need to do any math, you just plug the height in and it calculates everything else and gives you the resultant area. The only math you need to do is..... how do I get enough honey points to swing in time to build and fly :D

The hardest part of doing your own build is making the first seam, once you do that the rest just get's easier. It's all down to an initial willing to learn and wanting to do it yourself, we are a different breed, like in all walks of life some ppl are happy for others to do the work whilst others do for themselves and get an immense satisfaction from it.

As for the thanks.... it's not a problem, I started out with very little help and am only too glad to give advice to anyone starting out. The more ppl that build the bigger the pot of experience and the more we will all gain.

sadsack - 2-3-2015 at 03:15 PM

Tell what size you want and I will send all the stuff you need

soliver kite.JPG - 52kB

This is for a 3 foot high 5
let me know
renny

soliver - 2-3-2015 at 05:22 PM

With the right plans you don't need to do any math, you just plug the height in and it calculates everything else and gives you the resultant area. The only math you need to do is..... how do I get enough honey points to swing in time to build and fly :D

I know, which is why I'd like to find a Mac friendly calculator... Hopefully that one you sent me will work.... Maybe I'll start with a 21 after all :D

Honestly guys I got pretty pumped about all this working on sewing up some single line stuff for the kite making class I'm teaching Thursday, but I may not have the time til I get a few things knocked off the honey-do list.

@ Renny, I'm thinking 4m... And I think if I know the A measurement I can figure out the rest pretty easily... I know the plan shows a kite that's rough 2.7m, which might just be fine.

We'll see.

sadsack - 2-3-2015 at 06:40 PM

Here you go, this is the same size as golden girl
4M2

2.JPG - 41kB 3.JPG - 53kB

This is a very easy and fun kite to make. It as pulled me on snow and skateboard.:lol:

soliver - 2-3-2015 at 09:07 PM

Thanks a lot Renny... now someone just dig me out some time.

sadsack - 3-3-2015 at 05:23 PM

Spencer if you need the photo that comes with this program let me know.

Do-it - 3-3-2015 at 10:55 PM

Well done! Depending on the line you are using the key is keeping a constant tension as you do each line. What I do is as I connect each bridle line to the kite check it against the previous one to make sure the difference is correct. It's better taking the time at that point, rather than when it's in the air and trying to see if there is a uniform tension across the kite. I also mark each line with it's number as I measure it to save any mix-ups.

Good luck :D

What's up with the Nasa flag.....

bigE123 - 4-3-2015 at 01:29 AM

This NASA flag?

Nothing wrong with it, it's a low wind summer kite, fitted with keels and a de-power system. I just had a break from NPWs and ventured in to a new style to see what they are all about. Learnt some new things which lead to upgrading my NPW fleet.

sadsack - 4-3-2015 at 07:41 AM

I like the photo, come to the U.S. and you can take photos for me. I never can find anyone to do it.:evil:

bigE123 - 5-3-2015 at 01:20 AM

One day Renny :D It's not a technique I recommend, I usually test fly in a lower wind to check everything out, once I'm happy I send the kite up ........ then hold both handles in one hand and grab a photo with the other so that I can have a close look at the bridles.

Randy - 5-3-2015 at 06:20 AM

If you just put a smart phone on the ground leaning up against something and fly near it, you can get some pretty good close ups from different angles, though I've not yet tried face on.

Or you could take any old helmet. Drill a small hole in the top. Run a bolt in it from the inside (sized to screw into your camera's tripod mount) and you have a helmet cam. Use short lines and fly. It might work....

ssayre - 5-3-2015 at 07:16 AM

You mean like this bigE :)

toxic1.jpg - 24kBtoxic2.jpg - 24kB

bigE123 - 5-3-2015 at 07:44 AM

Thanks for the tip Randy, I do have a helmet mount for my video camera, but to check all the bridles when it's in-flight I need a good close-up, sorry I had to titter thinking about mounting my digital SLR camera to my lid, I'd need a neck the size of a tree trunk :D

You got it ssayre, when the wind is right and the kite balanced I manage to snap some shots before it turns towards the power zone, then it's oh f@@k :D

sadsack - 5-3-2015 at 02:58 PM

I got that go camera and I put it on my helmet and all I got was blue sky and sand. I think their about 3 sec. that the kite was in the photo. I am going to have do like i did when I was parachute jumping, put a sight on my helmet and then get it lined up with the camera.
Thanks Randy:evil:

bigE123 - 8-3-2015 at 02:36 PM

Here we go, not a NASA but I'm sure the design can be traced back somehow :D

5m2 single skin with 116m of bridling and now it flies!
The third in my "Hammer" series a slightly lower AR of 4.2, first flight yesterday was in far more wind than I would have wanted, @15mph, nearly ripped my arms out and lifted me a couple of inches up trying to find a place to park. Today the wind dropped so went out to try and get the brakes tuned, laid the kite out.... no wind it just sat nose in the wet grass, couple of steps back and up it went, the wind also started to increase, figure of 8s, edge to edge travelled really well, wind still kept increasing to the point the lines were singing with tension and the power zone needed to be avoided. Still needs the brake tension sorting as I need to hold the handles like a NPW but like the others it really packs a punch.

Randy - 8-3-2015 at 04:57 PM

Congrats Ian, that is an awesome looking kite. :thumbup:

sadsack - 8-3-2015 at 04:58 PM

beautiful:bird:

soliver - 8-3-2015 at 05:41 PM

Wow... that looks awesome!

3shot - 8-3-2015 at 05:49 PM

WOW!!! That is one great looking kite. Congrats on a job well done!!!

bigE123 - 9-3-2015 at 01:21 AM

Thanks everyone, time to put the sewing machine to one side for awhile and do more flying, spring has arrived!!!

sadsack - 9-3-2015 at 07:27 AM

Still snow and cold here, But this week looks nice, maybe 50dec. F or more.

bigE123 - 10-3-2015 at 08:13 AM

First lazy day flying! (Before a forecast of 5 days of rain) Wind was a paltry 0 to 5mph, managed a flight to tune the 5m before the wind dropped to @3mph and it just tumbled to the ground. Stepped up to the 7.2m had a bit of low wind lazy loops etc. No vid :rolleyes: Tried using my phone but ended up with out of focus kite or just blue sky with the odd kite tip going across the bottom of the vid. I know must do better :D

Randy - 10-3-2015 at 08:57 AM

Sometimes I think that bringing a camera along (or trying to do pictures or videos) is the best way to make sure something goes wrong. Or everything goes wrong.....More than once I have video'd 20 minutes of action only to find the camera was facing the wrong direction.....Or the battery in the camera died. Or I erased all the stuff I saved. The GoPro on the water has the uncanny ability to get a big ugly drop of water right on the middle of the field of view. Not to mention all the times the wind died, or the kite didn't fly right. But don't give up - making kites is far more difficult than using a camera.

sadsack - 10-3-2015 at 10:03 AM

Join the club

Randy - 13-3-2015 at 07:14 PM

My latest NPW - single keel, but uses a wider wing planform. (50 degrees v. conventional 45.) Took the plan directly from the NASA report, except for a bridle correction from 2e5.com. Today at the lake - plenty of good wind. Flew it for only a few minutes yesterday and discovered a measurement error in the lowest bridles. Once fixed it flew great today. Friday the 13th was my lucky day!

bigE123 - 14-3-2015 at 02:27 AM

Nice work Randy :D

bobalooie57 - 14-3-2015 at 07:19 AM

Really like the looks of that single keel in the air, Good job!

ssayre - 14-3-2015 at 07:31 AM

Nice Randy. The wind must have been cranking pretty good?

Randy - 14-3-2015 at 07:39 AM

Thanks guys. I put in the picture of the water to give an idea of the wind. It was reported to be 10-21 ish, I'd say it was ~15 ish. I was using short lines (25 foot). I actually didn't expect to use the mountainboard, since the parking lot fills up in the afternoon, but the lousy weather kept people away. I was hoping just to fly 2.5 M, but as luck would have it - things all fell into place. Conditions and timing haven't been right for landboarding since November, I think. Now 2 days in row.

sadsack - 14-3-2015 at 02:22 PM

Nice Randy, what size was that wing, about 2M2? hopefully I will have some photo this week.
renny

Randy - 14-3-2015 at 04:41 PM

Its 2.5 M. Biggest thing I've built.

sadsack - 14-3-2015 at 05:45 PM

Yes, I use my 2.5M2 alot on short line in some cases no lines at all. But if you are off pavement, most of the time you need a bigger kite. The 2.5M2 works very will with my skates.
renny

sadsack - 14-3-2015 at 05:47 PM

Randy, still have not flew your like yet, good wind today but worked. Went to Det. downtown airport for the day. Will try tomorrow to fly.
renny

soliver - 14-3-2015 at 08:29 PM

We've been having some great windy days lately around ATL haven't we... &*#%!!! I miss flying kites :(

Randy - 18-3-2015 at 05:07 PM

My Camo Stealth- NPW5 - Xtra Wide. 1.45M2 Pretty much an experiment in use of strange materials, lazy man's noe job fewer than normal bridles and an extra wide (75%) keel. Might have gone a little too far with this one. Could not even get it to fly 4 line, but strangely, it flew with 2 lines. Loves to figure 8 - more than any NPW I've flown. But, making it and the video was fun. I think I can tweak it some as well.

bigE123 - 19-3-2015 at 02:21 AM

:D Keep the experiments going :thumbup: It's a real adventure once you step on the build road and don't "just" build from a plan, but try different things out. What you may find is that as you have gone wider you only have a very narrow tolerance for the "sweet spot" on the brakes, going two line you have fixed it but loose the extra control the brake lines give.

Just out of curiosity: What was it doing in 4 line that made it un-flyable?

I've had some strange effects I was not expecting but it sometimes comes down to a little tweak somewhere else to compensate. You may also find when fully powered up you can go four line but it won't back stall as easy, at least that's what I found going wide on the 21, an extra brake line on the wing cured that.

Did you find any difference in the size of the window going wider than the standard?

Randy - 19-3-2015 at 04:42 AM

bigE123 - thanks for your comments. I believe the reason it wouldn't fly was that I simply had too much brake. It just wouldn't take off. In fact - it did fly upside down at the least brake position I could manage - ergo too much brake. I recalled your comment about v-bridles moving the brake point so I tried two line and it flew.

This iteration has a 75% width v 66.7% for the previous one and the wind window, suffered a lot. While the previous model had a very nice window (which I think is close to, if not equal to my 9b) this one may not even be equal to the stock NPW5.

What it does do well is figure 8 - and oddly it seemed you could go to the edge of the window, and figure 8 your way further out. The material is a bit stiffer and heavier than normal (though only about 5 grams heavier than the not so good ripstop I can get locally). It sews wonderfully - nicest sewing I've ever done. And you can take it camping and sleep under it....

To me, one of the most fascinating things about these NPW's is how differently they all fly. While the NPW-5P-Wide is very stable, it is a bit slow to respond - almost pondering. This thing is responds very quickly and turns on a dime - even with two line.

I have made new brake lines which are longer and have more knots in them so perhaps I can find the sweet spot for four line and fix what ails it. If not, I still has some more ideas to try.....

bigE123 - 19-3-2015 at 06:34 AM

When going wider, the thing I have found is the slower response, I think that is down to the fact the single brake point (A11/A12) has a lesser impact on the TE as it is now wider, that's the reason I went to a mid wing single brake point on the TE only as well, I have my wing brake slightly slack while flying normal then adding brake not only acts on the centre panel but on the wing as well and it turns it on a dime.

If your looking around at different plans I would avoid the 9b HA it flies like a stunt kite, has less window and will reverse fly when using for traction it's a real handful unless you just use it for static flying. I spent hours on trying to tame my 3m and trying to get more window out of the 10m I built. Sadly they now live in a bag just in-case some inspiration enters my brain. I've moved on leaps and bounds since then so I have a feeling they will be there some time as the other models and the new style I've built are so much better that it seems a waste to keep trying to solve something that fundamentally was not a good idea.
Going really wide on the NPW21 resulted in the same window decrease as the 9b HA I do have a feeling the profile / AoA may be a way around it but that is for a rainy day.
I've had two weeks off sewing since my last build, I'm under orders to give it break for a while, but already I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms, better weather and more flying may just fix that :D

soliver - 19-3-2015 at 07:03 AM

Ian, is the yellow, blue and white model with the lion's head the 10m you were referring to?... I remember when you posted about it after you finished it a while back that it had a higher AR than others you've built.

Just curious...

BTW, would LOVE to see some footage of you flying one of you "Hammers"

Randy - 19-3-2015 at 01:01 PM

Ian,

I've haven't tried the 9HA. Everytime I look at the plan, my eyes glaze over, and that's before I even start to count the darts and bridles. I'll probably get to that one after I do all twenty? of the other NPW plans from the wind tunnel tests, not to mention a few of my own....:D (Likely only after I've forgotten your comments.)

bigE123 - 20-3-2015 at 03:30 AM

@soliver, the lions head is a 6m NPW21 which I pushed the centre panel width from the NASA standard of 51.72% (that's the top width as a % of the height) to 110%, whislt it flies like all the others it has a reduced window, I did try an extra bridle set down the centre panle to reduce the "hump" but that reduces the power and window. I guess that's why the Nasa stars extra bridle set is relatively close to the wing/centre panel. I still think the Lion will fly better with a bridle change but I have my new set of Hammers now so it would be just as an experiment. Video of the Hammer is on the things to do list, especially as I've just found my camera! :D

@Randy the 9b HA is not as bad as it looks, it's a standard 9b build with an extra panel.

Here is my 10m NPW 9b HA made out of parachute material so it flies in a whisper of wind, I did re-bridle on a low AoA but still could not get the window size increase, like I said before I think there is something fundamental that holds it back.

and here is the 3m 9b HA, this is a worst case of how it flies powered up and trying to buggy with it...... I rest my case for traction.
I was trying to go up a slope but even so when you loop it it just wants to reverse as the power builds. Great for static as it is so agile.
http://vid1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii623/Dogz-n-Mutz/Firs...

robinsonpr - 20-3-2015 at 04:07 AM

bigE I'm back on my feet now. If you're having a cheeky lunchtime session in my neck of the woods anytime soon give me a shout, I'll happily oblige as cameraman!

Also welcome to use my rattly old buggy if you want 3 wheels!

Randy - 20-3-2015 at 04:23 AM

Ian - glad to see you finally found your camera!

bigE123 - 20-3-2015 at 05:21 AM

Cheers robinsonpr, I did actually have a flight after work on Tues/Wed dodged the circus, wind was really low, tried my board with the 7m, but the wind was a bit too low and as is normal there all over the place. I'm down again the week after next, glad the knee is back in action!

bigE123 - 21-3-2015 at 10:58 AM

Here we go a bit of test vid, 5m "Hammer" a bit under powered, wind gusty and some dead spots due to the wind coming over trees behind me.
http://vid1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii623/Dogz-n-Mutz/Sing...

And yes next time make sure the sun is not there :D

sadsack - 21-3-2015 at 04:17 PM

I enjoy that, the kite moved fast and turned fast.

ssayre - 21-3-2015 at 04:52 PM

awesome bige, you guys that make your own kites take the hobby to whole different level. Is that your property? Looks like a cool spot.

Randy - 21-3-2015 at 06:02 PM

Nice work Ian. Enjoyed the video, sunspots and all! Flying a kite you built is great - using it to pull your buggy or board, even better - capturing on film - priceless!

soliver - 21-3-2015 at 07:29 PM

Very Cool!!! Looks like it flies a lot like a foil.
 Pages:  1    3