Power Kite Forum

DC Area riders

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  11

Todd - 11-1-2010 at 07:40 PM

The computer has enough to handle it without a doubt and I do close ALL programs. I simply walk away from it and do other things while it does it's thing. No go. It spits me out of the program within the first 30 seconds of the render.

Frathouse - 11-1-2010 at 07:46 PM

I got my tracking number for my Neo 2. Should be in wednesday. Can't wait to get up to tugg hill this weekend!!!!:singing:

Knolee - 11-1-2010 at 07:47 PM

Can't wait for you to tell me what you think of it:thumbup:

power - 11-1-2010 at 08:27 PM

@Todd-I'm not so good with video editing and uploading yet, but maybe try uploading to youtube? That's what I did for the depower static jump and it worked fine. Depending on how long of a video it is it'll take a while uploading on youtube but it usually works. I'm really dying to see that footage. Hope you can work out the upload issue soon!

Maven454 - 12-1-2010 at 04:19 AM

He's not trying to upload it, he's still working on completing making the movie.

Knolee - 12-1-2010 at 04:59 AM

Maven, can you go to the field today?

Maven454 - 12-1-2010 at 05:02 AM

Nope. Working extra hours so that I can go to Tug Hill. Sorry.

Todd - 12-1-2010 at 05:32 AM

Maven hit it; I'm in the rendering process of the movie not uploading. I tried something last night and got to 92% complete before it shut down (almost threw the mouse on that one) trying again today.

YouTube? Never will I ever load a video to that site again, sorry. Vimeo is the way to go!

lad - 12-1-2010 at 06:35 AM

So, U guys are at Antenna Field 2day? Where is the best place to enter, park, access it?

UPDATE: Might make it there by 2pm!

power - 12-1-2010 at 09:31 AM

Enter from the north end slightly off to the right.

Tower Field Map?

lad - 12-1-2010 at 09:42 AM

hmmm...having some senior moments here...could someone please repost the map link to the Tower field?
:puzzled:

found it
MD kite spots

Prob won't be there until 'round 2pm!

lad - 12-1-2010 at 12:19 PM

I'm at the field now, it's brisk and I'm setting up! See yah later!

dtoast - 14-1-2010 at 10:20 AM

Anyone going to be around Monday or is everyone going to be up at Tughill?

power - 14-1-2010 at 10:28 AM

Bowl looks nice, too bad I have school.

Todd - 14-1-2010 at 10:59 AM

My son and I will be looking to fly this weekend weather permitting. Power, you have school on a holiday?

dtoast - 14-1-2010 at 11:13 AM

Monday is the MLK Holiday, if no one has looked at their calendar yet.

Todd - 14-1-2010 at 11:26 AM

Not looking too good on Sunday but Monday might be good for a little bit. I'll watch the wind and make a decision tomorrow or Saturday, sure would like to get some more footage with the new pole extension.

Knolee - 14-1-2010 at 11:40 AM

Power and I have monday off and would be happy to make it out if we can get there and conditions are right.

Knolee - 14-1-2010 at 11:43 AM

We also have the following friday and monday off.

dtoast - 14-1-2010 at 11:51 AM

O to be in school again with so many days off.

power - 14-1-2010 at 05:52 PM

CORRECTION- As knolee said I have monday off and I'm going flying tomorow afternoon if anyone's interested. You know where, the usual:kiss: Conditions might be good for the bowl on monday if we get some more north in the forecast. I'll probably be heading up there if conditions are good.

power - 14-1-2010 at 05:54 PM

Nevermind tomorow looks like a no wind day. I won't be heading out unless the forecast changes.

power - 17-1-2010 at 03:36 PM

Anyone available tomorow or is everyone still going to be at tugg hill:ninja: Forecast doesn't look like much wind for tomorow around here but its been changing from WNW to NNW and from high winds to low winds just about everyday for the past week on accuweather. Might luck out and be able to hit the bowl again....

Knolee - 17-1-2010 at 03:41 PM

Wind is supposed to be variable from 9-14 from the WNW-NNW. Bowl could be fun if that holds true. Anybody live close enough to check out the winds tomorrow and send me or power a PM?

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 03:41 PM

Going to check the winds tomorrow morning and if they look good for the bowl will prob head up there around 11am from DC. Just checked the conditions and they are saying 14 NW for Baltimore :bouncy:

Knolee - 17-1-2010 at 03:43 PM

Where'd you check? I looked at accuweather.

power - 17-1-2010 at 03:55 PM

We'll see how things look tomorow. I wish I had a bigger kite but it should be fun anyway. 14 as the highest gust maybe? Accuweather says 9g13 for tomorow, if that's what its like tomorow and the winds are WNW forget it.

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 04:10 PM

I use Noaa and Windfinder. Does look like it is going to back to the west

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/wind_forecast.sht...

power - 17-1-2010 at 04:14 PM

So that's the forecast for tomorow? Those arrows were all over the place, if that's how the wind really acted you'd be getting pulled one moment and then the kite would be flying towards you next!

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 04:26 PM

Its by the hour of the whole bay area you, just have to look at the small dot at the top left where Baltimore is. It helps to stop the animation and go through it slowly.

Everywhere is going to be a mud pit too.

Knolee - 17-1-2010 at 04:32 PM

Yuck. Forget it. Better luck next week.

power - 17-1-2010 at 04:35 PM

We'll see how things look tomorow. Is anyone available to give rides:(:(:embarrased:

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 05:13 PM

Ya, I don't have the biggest car, but can pick you up no problem.

power - 17-1-2010 at 05:32 PM

Thanks man. U2U me your phone number tomorow morning if conditions are right and you decide to make it up there. I'll shoot you my address then too.

Todd - 17-1-2010 at 05:50 PM

We're going to be pulling up some new kites down here tomorrow, not too crazy about riding in the mud so it will be good to give the S-Arc a shot in the air. All are welcome to join us but a couple hours of riding for some static flying seems a little senseless.

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 05:51 PM

sent u2u.

Going to go out somewhere as long as there is wind. Prob get off a bit late to let the ground dry just a bit.

dtoast - 17-1-2010 at 05:52 PM

Todd, where are you going to be? Power and I are trying to get out.

power - 17-1-2010 at 06:03 PM

I wish everyone wasn't off at tug hill. O well, I guess that's why you learn to drive:borg:

Todd - 17-1-2010 at 07:21 PM

I'll be at Solomon's Island and will be fooling around with the ARC's. Just north of the bridge is a retirement home that enjoys seeing the kites in the air so this will be the spot. I'll shoot you my number if you want to come down.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.3465...

power - 17-1-2010 at 07:56 PM

What are the winds like there?

bobalooie57 - 17-1-2010 at 08:22 PM

That looks like an awsome spot to ride, Todd, have we seen it in any of your video's? Looks like a west wind would be pretty smoooooth!:cool2:

power - 17-1-2010 at 09:41 PM

According to the evening news, conditions look great for the bowl tomorow- NNW 10-18.

Knolee - 17-1-2010 at 09:49 PM

So who's going to the bowl?

power - 18-1-2010 at 06:48 AM

Bowl it is

dtoast - 18-1-2010 at 07:37 AM

Hey Power, should be by your place around 11:15.

power - 18-1-2010 at 07:41 AM

Ok great, do you want me to bring my 4m twister? It seems like if the forecast holds true there might not be enough wind for the 3m but maybe too much for the 6.5 crossfire?

power - 18-1-2010 at 03:47 PM

Dtoast and I had a great time today. Field was way too muddy to landboard, the board would just sink in and then you'd get pulled off into the mud, but static jumping was amazing. I realized that C kites actually do have decent depower, and after dtoast adjusted the slack on the rear lines, I was getting pretty common 10 footers, floating the whole way down:D Pulling the bar in probably doubles my height now that the lines are adjusted compared to just redirecting. All in all, another great day at the bowl.

pigryder - 18-1-2010 at 05:55 PM

:thumbup:

power - 18-1-2010 at 06:29 PM

@Pigryder-Were you at tug hill over the weekend?

pigryder - 18-1-2010 at 07:17 PM

no power, I would really like to get down to fly with you guys sometime

power - 18-1-2010 at 07:37 PM

Maybe this weekend? Anyone else available for this weekend, I've got friday through monday off...

bobalooie57 - 18-1-2010 at 07:41 PM

:puzzled:edit: sorry, I clicked last post, and it took me to page 1. I was puzzled, so..

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 08:33 AM

I dont have any plans this coming weekend. If winds are favorable, I'll definitely be up for some local riding. Sorry to hear the fields was covered in mud last weekend, that is always a bit of a drag. I've ridden my buggy in that, and it CAN be fun. But cleanup afterwards is a nightmare... Lets see what the winds are doing and maybe we can hook up for some riding. :)

Todd - 19-1-2010 at 10:02 AM

I would be up for this as well.

shehatesmyhobbies - 19-1-2010 at 11:37 AM

Rian and I were talking about either hitting WW or coming over to ride with you guys on Sunday! According to him the winds are supposed to be coming from SE. I am not sure about which way you guys need the wind over there, but we will keep up with the thread to see what's up!

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 11:59 AM

If its SE, I might head for WildWood. If thats what really happens, then I might foot a one-night stay up there for an epic day on the beach... hate paying for the hotel though... anyone else wanna go in on a room together to knock the price down?

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 12:02 PM

Yeah I could share a room if the price is right and the wind is up

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frathouse
Yeah I could share a room if the price is right and the wind is up

All current weather models (weather.com, wundeground, and noaa) agree that this coming sunday will be SE winds at decent strength. Hard to believe, but its currently in the forecast. Question is, how much will that change between now and then... Only time will tell. Keeping my eyes on the forecast... lets revisit this idea on Thursday/Friday and see what is going on... :)

power - 19-1-2010 at 12:34 PM

I may go up to WW for the day sometime this weekend, maybe monday if it works out. There's no place to ride on the beach at dewey right? What is the closest rideable beach to DC?

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
I may go up to WW for the day sometime this weekend, maybe monday if it works out. There's no place to ride on the beach at dewey right? What is the closest rideable beach to DC?

Closest rideable beach? Depends on what you classify as rideable. I've heard you can ride at Sandy Point on the right wind direction. Small beach though. I'm also not sure how hard-packed the sand gets there. I know people buggy there, but not so sure about landboards.

I've also heard people buggy at Dewey. Sand seems a bit soft to me, so I would think landboards would have some issues. Not something I've ever done though. Wildwood is a 4hr drive, and its awesome. Why drive only 3hrs (dewey) for a beach you dont know that might not be so good? One more hour and its all gravy...

Tides are not really in our favor this weekend (Sunday's high tide is 3.57 at 1458hrs). Could still be good, you dont really need much beach if the wind is really blowing directly on-shore. Hard to say at this point.

If I head that way, Power, I might be able to give you a ride...

power - 19-1-2010 at 12:48 PM

Thanks ragden, what day were you planning on going? If you were staying overnight I'd probably have to find a way to get home...

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks ragden, what day were you planning on going? If you were staying overnight I'd probably have to find a way to get home...

Depends on how conditions pan out. Was looking at heading up Saturday night and coming home on Sunday. This would be an overnight trip. If you came up with me, I'd make sure you got home... the next day. Lodging is still under discussion. If you can find a place to crash, cool. Otherwise, we'll have to figure something out. Still not sure I can even afford to do this, but we'll watch the weather and see if its worth the trip.... :)

shehatesmyhobbies - 19-1-2010 at 01:20 PM

Yeah the tides might not be in our favor, low tide is around 0700, but you are right, ride would be good for a couple of hours, may go south by noon or so. Don't know how long it takes to make it difficult to ride.

How would those winds be for the bowl, or the field you guys talk of? Could keep expenses down if they are still favorable for the local run.

rdavis - 19-1-2010 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
There's no place to ride on the beach at dewey right?

Dewey and Delaware Seashore Park are rideable, but only during low tide when you can get some hard pack. I ride there quite often. There's supposed to an East wind this Saturday and I was looking to head down to Dewey/Seashore park. Low tide is at 7am though, so gotta get down early.

Todd - 19-1-2010 at 01:39 PM

There’s no way the Bowl can be good on a SE; if it holds to SE I'll probably go to Sandy Point. WW would be tempting but cost and a slight chance at epic kind of rules that out.

power - 19-1-2010 at 01:46 PM

Not sure if the parents will let me stay overnight but its definitely a possibility. @Todd- How is sandy point for boarding? Isn't that only an hour drive from DC? What direction does the wind have to be coming from?

Todd - 19-1-2010 at 01:49 PM

SE is best and if you can't ride on the sand (at low I recall hard pack) you can ride the field but just watch out for the trees :wow:

Google it and take a look.

power - 19-1-2010 at 02:00 PM

Is it this spot?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&...
That looks really small.

Todd - 19-1-2010 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Is it this spot?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&...
That looks really small.

Try Maryland's Sandy Point it's a little bit larger :smilegrin:

Sandy Point

dtoast - 19-1-2010 at 03:18 PM

Power, good to hear you got that knot out.

Had a great day even though it was a mud bath. Took awhile to wash off all my gear and the mud was all the way down the pants. Now I just need to clean off my kite. Power was getting some great hang time with at least one nice back flop I saw when trying 360's. Then there were these two kids that came up and asked to use our boards, well they ended up having more fun on them then we did yesterday.

Ragden, I think the kite stake you found is mine. I only saw one in my bag yesterday and I have not taken it out of my car since I was last there with everyone.

power - 19-1-2010 at 04:02 PM

@Dtoast-Must have had fun cleaning that one up, my shoes were caked with mud:lol: Maybe we can meet up again sometime soon, possibly this weekend?
@Todd-That looks like a nice field to fly at. Maybe this isn't rare, but you would need a SE wind to board/buggy there and it doesn't seem like we get that direction too often? If most of that beach is hardpack, it appears that you could easily ride there, especially with a closed cell/LEI. The winds are pretty clean there if they're coming off the water right?

shehatesmyhobbies - 19-1-2010 at 04:22 PM

Sandy point is not that bad a drive for me, know the place well from driving by it on my way to D.C.. It's about an hour and a half drive or so. I will keep checking as to see what and when things will go down. I am available Sunday, Saturday is my youngest daughters B-day. Gonna be 5. I'm getting excited!

Knolee - 19-1-2010 at 04:38 PM

Along most of the east coast the prevailing winds come from the west during the winter, usually with the jet stream. During the summer months it goes all over the place as the water temp fluctuates and the highs and lows move around a bit more erratically. SW shouldn't be that rare. The wind SHOULD be onshore if it's not from the west.

power - 19-1-2010 at 04:44 PM

]I actually meant to say SE in my post, I edited it.

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 05:08 PM

Sandy point is a lot of fun. I prefer to have it more south than south east. South winds open up the big grassy area near the water tower to buggying and landboards. I had my best landboarding sessions here which isn't saying much. Be ready to deal with lots of goose #@%$#! because its mostly that not grass. I have tried a few times to ride the beach but its usually to soft for my buggy. If your feeling adventurous and want to go really fast, riding the parking lots is a lot of fun. I've used my pin tail longboard and a really small kite to go extremely fast. Buggying the parking lots are also fun but its really hard to break the tires free to slide turn. You have to be careful otherwise you end up flipping the buggy and its much more painful on asphalt.

power - 19-1-2010 at 05:16 PM

I really would like to check out sandy point, especially because its only an hours drive. Anyone up for some local flying before the weekend? I'm off school at 12 tomorow, and then off at 9:30 the next day and then I'm off friday through monday. Just checked accuweather for sandy point, and they're predicting a breezy sunday, SSE. I know its way too far out to tell, but if conditions hold that would be the perfect direction to check it out.

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 07:08 PM

If we do end up at wildwood I'm bringing my sandboard and piece of #@%$#! modified snowboard to ride the sand. Hopefully it will feel like I'm back at tugg hill.

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 07:08 PM

Wow I guess you can't swear on this forum.

ragden - 19-1-2010 at 08:45 PM

@dtoast, yeah, i thought it might be yours. We can hook up this weeknd and i'll get it back to ya... :)

power - 19-1-2010 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Wow I guess you can't swear on this forum.

??

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 09:33 PM

type a swear power and see how it come up in your post.

power - 19-1-2010 at 09:34 PM

holy #@%$#!

power - 19-1-2010 at 09:35 PM

Haha thats cool but I think I've seen swear words typed out on this forum before?

power - 19-1-2010 at 09:35 PM

It doesn't pick up on 'a s s', that's what I was thinking of.

Frathouse - 19-1-2010 at 09:36 PM

must be a new feature to keep posts clean

ragden - 20-1-2010 at 06:23 AM

Silly off-topic discussion. :)
Wind reports for this weekend still look decent. Full on East winds on Saturday, not much, but it could still be fun...

Frathouse - 20-1-2010 at 06:50 AM

Whats this about snow friday?:dunno: snowkiting the beaches of wildwood?

ragden - 20-1-2010 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Whats this about snow friday?:dunno: snowkiting the beaches of wildwood?

Snow on friday? How much? If we get enough, I reckon we could snowkite somewhere.. just need to find the right location for the wind direction...

Frathouse - 20-1-2010 at 07:02 AM

That what the local weather report said on wunderground for wildwood and annapolis. Not sure how much there will be.

shehatesmyhobbies - 22-1-2010 at 04:12 AM

I have word that sandy point has started setting up for the polar bear plunge for next weekend, not sure how much it affects the beach now. Still leaning towards WW right now. Conditions still look favorable.

ragden - 22-1-2010 at 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shehatesmyhobbies
I have word that sandy point has started setting up for the polar bear plunge for next weekend, not sure how much it affects the beach now. Still leaning towards WW right now. Conditions still look favorable.

If this is true, then there probably wont be much room to ride. :(

Checking forecast for Wildwood opportunities...

rdavis - 22-1-2010 at 08:20 AM

Intellicast hourly forecast is predicting SE @ 16mph by 10am on Sunday, and they're usually pretty accurate, at least for my area. This could shape up to be an epic day.

Todd - 22-1-2010 at 08:28 AM

Yes it's beginning to look epic... too bad it has to be on a Sunday :no:

rdavis - 22-1-2010 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Yes it's beginning to look epic... too bad it has to be on a Sunday :no:

Come on, you can do it! Rich and I are talking about driving over at 6am. Ferry ride wouldn't get us there until about 11am.

Knolee - 22-1-2010 at 08:46 AM

6am? C'mon, at least head out before the sun begins to rise :eureka:.
I have never taken the ferry, and I make it there in 3.5hrs every time in the off-season from DC. I've made the drive a few hundred times too. The ferry maybe more direct, but I'm almost positive it takes longer.

Todd - 22-1-2010 at 08:48 AM

No way no day.

5 hour trip to
+
Extreme amount of fun going balls to the walls
+
5 hour trip home

= Me not being to make it for work Monday morning when I have an 8am inspection.

Some other time for sure.

Knolee - 22-1-2010 at 08:50 AM

Todd, you must have been told otherwise but, "Sorry Boss, I was kiting" is ALWAYS an excellent excuse.:lol:
Shame on you..

rdavis - 22-1-2010 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knolee
I have never taken the ferry, and I make it there in 3.5hrs every time in the off-season from DC. I've made the drive a few hundred times too. The ferry maybe more direct, but I'm almost positive it takes longer.

For me, the ferry doesn't take longer, cause I only live about 30 minutes away from it. The only downside is, the first ferry doesn't leave from Lewes until around 9am, so getting to Wildwood early isn't possible. The upside is, when I do take the ferry, I have less than an hour worth of drive time and I get to relax on the way over.

That sucks you can't make it over Todd. Look forward to the next time we can ride together. Got the afterburners tuned up on the buggy, lol. :singing::smilegrin:

dtoast - 22-1-2010 at 09:00 AM

I would not be able to make it either this weekend. :(

power - 22-1-2010 at 09:01 AM

Hundreds of trips knolee? That's almost as bad as thousands of pockets
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  11