Power Kite Forum

DC Area riders

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11

Knolee - 25-3-2010 at 08:22 PM

In other words you're going kiteboarding at a secret spot....

Maven454 - 26-3-2010 at 03:22 AM

Todd and I have been discussing WW this weekend. Both of us were thinking drive up Saturday and back Monday though.

Frathouse - 26-3-2010 at 04:20 AM

I'm going kiteboarding if the conditions allow. Not sure yet but I'm most likely going to Dewey beach.

ragden - 26-3-2010 at 06:06 AM

As Frat's designated water-safety official, I'll be wherever he ends up deciding to go. Gotta have someone on the water to keep an eye on him.
:saint:
Winds look great for Wildwood this weekend. I hope you guys have a blast. I definitely couldnt stay until Monday as I have to work that morning (it isnt a holiday is it?), but it does look like you guys are going to get some epic conditions there. I hope you guys have a blast.

Maven454 - 26-3-2010 at 06:37 AM

Not a holiday. I'm just going to take my "alternate off Friday" on Monday instead of Friday. Assuming that we go.

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 10:10 AM

So who IS going to Wildwood on Sunday?

Todd - 26-3-2010 at 10:24 AM

I don't think I'm going to trust that storm pushing in quickly on Sunday, I could be wrong and miss an epic day.

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 10:33 AM

Well, I think i'm gonna go ahead and book a reservation for the Ferry and take my chances. Forecast is looking pretty good. Starting to look like I might be out there solo though.

bobalooie57 - 26-3-2010 at 10:39 AM

rdavis, if you can get some video, post it to make us all jealous, and psyched for the Bash! :bigok:

Todd - 26-3-2010 at 10:45 AM

rdavis is a closet video junkie who doesn't share :evil:

ragden - 26-3-2010 at 10:46 AM

I think I might have read somewhere that leebrianh might be there on Sunday... So, who knows, you might not be alone after all. If you are in the Dewey area on Saturday, Frathouse and I will be at Comfort Point tomorrow. Not really sure how much of that beach is rideable on a buggy though...

bobalooie57 - 26-3-2010 at 10:48 AM

:lol:

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
rdavis is a closet video junkie who doesn't share :evil:

I just feel inadequate after watching certain peoples nicely edited HiDef videos, lol.

Todd - 26-3-2010 at 10:56 AM

I'll let you borrow my GoPro HD if you want to... won't be much fun for you trying to keep up though :P

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ragden
I think I might have read somewhere that leebrianh might be there on Sunday... So, who knows, you might not be alone after all. If you are in the Dewey area on Saturday, Frathouse and I will be at Comfort Point tomorrow. Not really sure how much of that beach is rideable on a buggy though...

Thanks for the heads up on Brian.

I'm planning on being down in the Dewey area tomorrow (Sat.), but i'll be in Seashore Park, probably at Keybox Rd. The beach is usually rideable at low tide, which is around 1pm. I'm probably gonna try and get down there by around 11am.

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
I'll let you borrow my GoPro HD if you want to... won't be much fun for you trying to keep up though :P

HA HA HA... :P

lad - 26-3-2010 at 12:33 PM

I'd hop on over to WW this weekend too - except I'm already booked to go to NABX (sans gear) and don't want too much of a good thing! :P

shehatesmyhobbies - 26-3-2010 at 03:53 PM

Can't wait till spring bash.Seems like there will be a couple of good show downs! I am sure Rian will rub it it when he gets back from Dewey and WW this weekend. I am not able to slip away from all the crazy overtime at work.

I hope everyone has great sessions wherever you may be headed!

Todd you are right though, he does have lots of footage yet to air! Get to editing dude!:D

Tibi - 26-3-2010 at 04:51 PM

I'm planning on coming to WW this Sunday. Martin was posting on the NJbuggyclub saying he'll come there on Sunday, too. Any thoughts about a meeting place in WW? I guess in front of the Apollo would be a good choice for the SE wind? ... It's gonna be cold!

rdavis - 26-3-2010 at 04:57 PM

I was just going to head to Crocus Rd. down by the pier. Do you know where I'm talking about Tib?

Tibi - 27-3-2010 at 04:22 PM

Yup. I'll see u there.

rdavis - 27-3-2010 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tib
Yup. I'll see u there.

Looking forward to it. I should be in the area around 11am.

ragden - 2-4-2010 at 09:09 AM

Looks like a pretty nice day at Wildwood tomorrow. SSE winds, could be fun. Tide isnt exactly favorable, but I might head down to try some kitesurfing... Anyone else coming out?

Maven454 - 2-4-2010 at 09:14 AM

Parent's in town. Can't.

Todd - 2-4-2010 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
Parent's in town. Can't.

Bring them on down!

Yeah, WW is calling me......must resist...

power - 2-4-2010 at 09:55 AM

Will anyone be kitesurfing at the spring bash?

ragden - 5-4-2010 at 05:44 AM

Saturday actually turned out to be a pretty decent day. Water riding there is awfully hard with the waves. Course, it didnt help that wind was soo light that I was trying to ride my door. Almost didnt have enough power for it. If I had had more power, and a board with a little more rocker, I probably would have been fine. But that door kept going under every time I hit a wave, or bit of whitewater. Very frustrating.

To add to it, I didnt bring my buggy. If I had, I would have been cruising up and down the beach with little to no effort. Oh well.. Live and learn. I might have to pick up a directional for those white-water rides... :)

Looking forward to the buggy-bash. As for whether we will be kitesurfing during the bash, I'm not sure. I might bring my boards, but I'm not positive yet. Most people are on the beach, not the water. We'll see.

edit:I'll caveat that by saying if we see side-shore winds during the bash, I'll probably bring my boards... Just really need a directional for ocean riding... :)

tridude - 5-4-2010 at 05:55 AM

Quote:
Saturday actually turned out to be a pretty decent day. Water riding there is awfully hard with the waves. Course, it didnt help that wind was soo light that I was trying to ride my door. Almost didnt have enough power for it. If I had had more power, and a board with a little more rocker, I probably would have been fine. But that door kept going under every time I hit a wave, or bit of whitewater. Very frustrating.

To add to it, I didnt bring my buggy. If I had, I would have been cruising up and down the beach with little to no effort. Oh well.. Live and learn. I might have to pick up a directional for those white-water rides... :)

Looking forward to the buggy-bash. As for whether we will be kitesurfing during the bash, I'm not sure. I might bring my boards, but I'm not positive yet. Most people are on the beach, not the water. We'll see.

edit:I'll caveat that by saying if we see side-shore winds during the bash, I'll probably bring my boards... Just really need a directional for ocean riding... :)

try more rear heal pressure and lean back hard as you blast thru the chop/waves....................

power - 5-4-2010 at 05:56 AM

Sounds like fun at wildwood, can't wait till the spring bash. Are you working tuesday or would you be interested in hitting up dewey or some other local spot? If I can't make it to dewey I'll try to find another local spot on the water.

ragden - 5-4-2010 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
try more rear heal pressure and lean back hard as you blast thru the chop/waves....................

I can do that going one way, but have a hard time the other. Guess I just need more practice. :)

Power-
I have stuff I have to do on Tuesday. Cant make it anywhere. Sorry. I would seriously recommend caution with any local kitesurfing locations. The Potomac is not an easy, or especially safe kitesurfing spot. Not to mention having to have the local coast guard pull you out if everything went nutz, would probably not be so good. Patience bud, wait for the weekend...
:)

power - 5-4-2010 at 08:54 AM

I'm thinking terrapin? I know that's a somewhat risky spot but a few of the guys on eastkb said it would be alright as long as it wasn't a NW wind. Have you been there or brownies or AZT and if so how do they compare to dewey?

ragden - 5-4-2010 at 10:25 AM

I've been to Brownies (once, not a good session, nearly lost my board into the rocks). Never been to Terrorpin. AZT is awesome. If you can get there, thats the spot I'd choose. Lots of reasons. My three favorites spots to ride on the east coast here (in no particular order) are Azt, Dewey, and Comfort Point. For full on south winds, I'd say AZT. SW - Dewey. NNW - NNE Comfort Point.

Best of luck bud. I hope to be out this weekend, just dont know where yet.. Hard to judge by wind reports as nothing is accurate yet...

power - 5-4-2010 at 11:27 AM

I'd love to get out too this weekend. We'll see what tomorrow brings, where exactly is brownies? I'm not totally sure I'm going yet, it really depends on the wind direction.

ragden - 5-4-2010 at 12:36 PM

Brownies is good on a SE, and a NE. There is a pretty large wind shadow when going out in either straight south or straight north, though North would probably better. For the exact location, I'd suggest checking the map that is posted at the other site... I dont have the link handy, sorry.

power - 5-4-2010 at 12:56 PM

Wunderground is showing a south wind picking up around 1400. Frathouse, can you go? I know I'll look silly by myself with a plydoor and an oversized wetsuit with tiny boardshorts that don't even close, but I've got to get out!

Frathouse - 6-4-2010 at 04:14 PM

Alright Power I hate to say it but your long on your way to earning a Darwin award if you start going out by yourself this early on. Look I completely understand I want to get out on the water asap. Just got myself a 15m Speed3 deluxe yesterday and a 2010 flydoor XL and all I want to do is skip out on work. So if you would just stop reminding me that I can't get out till the weekend it would be greatly appreciated:P. Okay so I am totally looking forward to seeing what you can do on the water. Just remember don't be STUPID, kite with someone you trust in a safe location, and in general be safe (as you can be in this sport). I won't be driving around Darwin award nominee's. Sincerely your disgruntled, sarcastic, and well meaning friend.

-Frathouse

:wee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0p-U1LBbQ

Knolee - 6-4-2010 at 05:51 PM

Nice Brad!! I bet that feels nice to write in the sig. Hope you like it.
See you out there!

power - 6-4-2010 at 07:27 PM

I have to say, earning a Darwin award wouldn't be that bad.... jk.

And I thought I was anxious to get out??? You must have gone mad by now!! It used to be that you and I would be sitting on the beach while we were drooling watching ragden and his massive kite, but now I'm all alone! And two new boards?? We'll see how my plywood beauty compares to your flashy fiberglass...
To be continued...

All jokes aside, I can't wait to get out on the water with you guys and see how we all do, congrats on the new gear, I new you were going to pull the trigger on that speed 3 at some point, the question was when:singing: Hopefully a session this weekend? We'll see how the weather plays out. Hilarious video;)

ragden - 7-4-2010 at 04:20 AM

When I first stated kitesurfing, it was WEEKS between my sessions. And I don't just mean one. It was almost a month between my first session and my second. Not sure how I pulled that off, but I waited around for the right conditions a lot of the time. Unfortunately, the places that are good for beginners require the right conditions. Which really sucks. However, its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to water sports. So much can go wrong so quickly, it is just not worth the risk.

Having said that, this weekend is starting to look like it might be decent. Hard to say as different reports are conflicting right now. Only time will tell. Unfortunately, I will have a full car, so I cannot offer a ride to anyone. Hope to see you guys out on the water some day soon.

Frathouse - 7-4-2010 at 05:02 AM

The only day I have open is sunday right now. If I do go out your welcome to come but it would really help if you could get a ride to my place from someone and also someone to pick you up later.

power - 7-4-2010 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for the offer Frat, I can definitely get a ride to and from your place so we should be fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the right conditions!

Knolee - 7-4-2010 at 11:28 AM

What kind of conditions are we looking at? And for what spot?

ragden - 8-4-2010 at 05:59 AM

Looking at Dewey/Rehoboth area. Choice wind directions are either NE, or SW. NE puts you at Comfort Point (shallow on a low tide), or Dewey Beach (always shallow). Dewey is rideable on a west, but its pretty much straight on-shore. Anything between West and SW is rideable there. North gets gusty at New Road, while anything with East in it will get gusty as well. Comfort Point is choice on a NNW - NNE. NW is rideable but choppy. Full on West is going to be a bit gusty and choppy as all heck. Any south there is super gusty, while an ENE is a bit gusty, its at least manageable. I've ridden on a full East there, but not recommended...

We are hoping conditions will line up right for Dewey Beach. Current predictions say WSW, but wind speeds are right around 10mph. If it will just pick up a hair, we will be golden...

power - 8-4-2010 at 08:37 AM

NOAA, accuweather and wunderground are all showing 15-20 knot winds, coming from WSW. I know you have more experience rag, but it seems like a straight onshore breeze would be the best wind because you could just cruise up and down the beach. I know you have to get upwind but that's not hard with the right gear and wind.
So no one is available for Saturday rides? I guess sunday is my only day if that's the case, at least for getting to dewey. Anyone want to fly local?

ragden - 8-4-2010 at 08:50 AM

What day are you looking at? Wind predictions for Today look GREAT. But I'm stuck working. Friday and Saturday both look like WNW winds at decent speeds. Sunday is WSW, but speeds are at 10mph tapering off in the afternoon. This is all looking at the following website: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Dewey+Beac...

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, boy wouldnt that be nice. I'd love to see more wind for this weekend, particularly on Sunday as that looks to be my free day as well...
I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for more wind.

power - 8-4-2010 at 04:03 PM

According to accuweather, wunderground, noaa and weather.com, saturday is looking great for wind. Forecasts were showing between 15 and 25mph. Only accuweather is showing good wind for sunday, I think sunday's not going to work out.

shehatesmyhobbies - 8-4-2010 at 04:49 PM

Gave it a shot over here in DE today! Winds were about 15 to 20 with 25 mph gust. Talk about a ride! Didn't last long before it was getting unsafe with the kites I had with me! Only using a apex 5 m. It was kicS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-n my butt when it would lose power on the gust then pop in the power window. Nothing like a 25 foot sideways slide to get your blood pumping! Can't wait for WW!

power - 9-4-2010 at 08:29 AM

Glad you finally got out shehates. As far as this weekend, if no one's going to dewey, I'll probably head to terrapin or matapeake, anyone want to go there? Sunday looks decent for dewey but there are conflicting forecasts for the bay bridge area.

dtoast - 14-4-2010 at 10:04 AM

Was in Isle of Palms, Charleston last weekend on the sand for the first time...I love smooth sand and clean winds.
Anyone going to be around this weekend? Sunday is looking good for some time at the bowl. NNW winds at maybe 14mph

ragden - 14-4-2010 at 10:17 AM

I'm only seeing 9mph on Sunday currently (looking at NOAA forecast). Saturday looks stronger, but too much west. Might head to CP (Comfort Point) if forecast goes over 10mph consistently. Really depends on how the forecast changes between now and then...

lad - 14-4-2010 at 10:37 AM

I'm prob going to Dewey just to see a little of the free music fest this weekend - might bring some gears (but I'm still not ready for the water just yet....)

ragden - 14-4-2010 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lad
I'm prob going to Dewey just to see a little of the free music fest this weekend - might bring some gears (but I'm still not ready for the water just yet....)

Free Music Fest? Hmm.... that could make traffic a complete pain the backside... Might have to reconsider my plans... heh. We'll see, I suppose. Winds might not even hold up... All depends on the weather... heh

ragden - 21-5-2010 at 11:21 AM

ESE Winds tomorrow at Dewey. I'm hoping thats at least a little side-on-shore. Will probably be getting down there a little before noon to try to take advantage of the winds. Hope to see ya there. :)

rdavis - 21-5-2010 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
ESE Winds tomorrow at Dewey. I'm hoping thats at least a little side-on-shore. Will probably be getting down there a little before noon to try to take advantage of the winds. Hope to see ya there. :)

You heading to ocean side or bay side? If I go down, i'll be heading to Keybox Rd. on ocean side. Low tide is supposed to be at 10am, so i'm looking to be there around 8:30-9...depends how motivated I am in the morning, lol.

ragden - 21-5-2010 at 11:29 AM

We were thinking ocean side. Not sure where Keybox is. I was thinking tower road. Which has showers? Would be nice to rinse the gear clean afterwards. If keybox has showers... we'll be there..
:smilegrin:

edit: course we can always drive up to tower road to rinse off afterwards i suppose...

rdavis - 21-5-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
We were thinking ocean side. Not sure where Keybox is. I was thinking tower road. Which has showers? Would be nice to rinse the gear clean afterwards. If keybox has showers... we'll be there..
:smilegrin:

edit: course we can always drive up to tower road to rinse off afterwards i suppose...

Yeah, no showers at Keybox, but it's only about a mile south from Tower Rd. I always head to Keybox because it's a smaller lot and less chances of a crowd when dealing with the buggy. Everyone else goes there first because of the showers too. I'd say give me a call when you get in the area, but if I get there by 10am and you're not showing til around noon, then I prob won't have my phone on me. If you're going to be on the ocean side though, then i'm sure i'll see you at some point. :thumbup:

power - 21-5-2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:

So you're going to give the waves a try? Have fun, waves add a lot to kitesurfing, especially if you're on that WAM.

sofa king - 2-6-2010 at 03:13 PM

just got my kiteboard in the mail.
whens the next meetup?:thumbup:

silvereaglekiter - 3-6-2010 at 03:43 PM

I was up in your neck of the woods today & noticed signs for Polo matches. Great Meadow park Is any one close enough to check out if we can get access to the fields. Its 2+ hour trip for me but It would be worth it if the fields workout for us

ragden - 4-6-2010 at 10:42 AM

Probably heading to Dewey this coming Sunday, 06 June. Winds are looking decent. Might have to leave early in the morning though. Hope to see some folks there. :)

rdavis - 4-6-2010 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Probably heading to Dewey this coming Sunday, 06 June. Winds are looking decent. Might have to leave early in the morning though. Hope to see some folks there. :)

I'm planning on heading down one day this weekend. Was looking to do some local flying tomorrow (Sat.) and head down to Dewey on Sunday, but the local forecast for Sunday is now showing about 20mph local, so I may switch and hit Dewey Sat. and stay local Sun. Have to play it by ear, see what the forecast says in the morning. Where you heading Mike? Bayside or Oceanside?

ragden - 4-6-2010 at 11:29 AM

SW winds? Bayside. :)
Local forecast looks pitiful for tomorrow. I'll definitely be down there Sunday...

rdavis - 4-6-2010 at 12:00 PM

Wind forecasts for Dewey that i've seen for Sat. and Sun. are both about 12mph avg. Here in Dover though, near where I live, they're forecasting about 12mph on Sat. and 20mph on Sunday, which is why I was looking to stick around Sunday. I want to try and get my landsailer rolling, and those winds may be just what I need. :yes: As far as the beach....I'll just be heading down to hang out, try and catch up with a friend. I wasn't planning on trying to do any flying, maybe some static stuff on the beach, but that's about it. Plus they're forecasting chances of some of that yucky weather, so i'll have to see what going to happen with that. :no: If I do manage to come down Sunday i'll keep an eye out for the Flysurfer. :smilegrin:

ragden - 4-6-2010 at 07:28 PM

Forecast changed. Looks like steady 14mph tomorrow, and stronger Sunday. I'm heading out first thing in the morning (if the forecast holds overnight), and i might come back Sunday, not positive. All depends on how I feel after tomorrow. Let me know if yer going to be there... Still got that harness you wanted to try on... :)

sofa king - 5-6-2010 at 07:43 AM

where do you guys go in dewey? i mean where is a place to set up on the bayside?

rdavis - 5-6-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sofa king
where do you guys go in dewey? i mean where is a place to set up on the bayside?

New Rd. It's actually just south of Dewey, in Seashore Park. Doesn't look like i'm going to make it down there though.

ragden - 6-6-2010 at 08:13 AM

Bummer dude, you missed a fun day. Winds were flukey though... Still, had a good time. No pictures, camera stayed home with Sunnie...

rdavis - 7-6-2010 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
Bummer dude, you missed a fun day. Winds were flukey though... Still, had a good time. No pictures, camera stayed home with Sunnie...

Yeah, I was pretty bummed about not making it down. :sniff: I got the rest of the summer though, and I will be joining you guys on the water at some point. :yes: What was the water temperature like? Getting warm yet?

ragden - 7-6-2010 at 07:09 AM

Plenty warm. Was in shorts and a t-shirt all day. Got a little too much sun, but otherwise was great. Sorry you couldn't make it. I heard Sunday was nukin. Kinda glad I didnt try to go...

rdavis - 7-6-2010 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Plenty warm. Was in shorts and a t-shirt all day. Got a little too much sun, but otherwise was great. Sorry you couldn't make it. I heard Sunday was nukin. Kinda glad I didnt try to go...

Yeah, it was pretty nukin around here yesterday too. Met up with Rich and Frank for a little fly time at local spot. Wanted to get the landsailer going, but the tires were shot, so that was a bust. Decent day though.

ragden - 7-6-2010 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdavis
Quote:

Yeah, it was pretty nukin around here yesterday too. Met up with Rich and Frank for a little fly time at local spot. Wanted to get the landsailer going, but the tires were shot, so that was a bust. Decent day though.

Yeah, had a feeling i might have been seriously overpowered on my 15 while out on the water. I've held it down before, but it gets to be a lot of work, and I was already sore from the day before. Besides, it felt good to lay around the house for a day. Slept in until 10am. Needed that... heh.

We'll have to hook up this coming weekend if there is wind...
I need a smaller kite for those higher wind days...

rdavis - 7-6-2010 at 08:00 AM

bump....I thought they fixed that glitch

rdavis - 7-6-2010 at 08:03 AM

Quote:

We'll have to hook up this coming weekend if there is wind...
I need a smaller kite for those higher wind days...

Sounds like a plan. I really need to get down to the beach, haven't been in a couple weeks, and I really need my fix, lol. I love the beach if you can't tell.

Rich was talking about possibly going to Solomon's Island and meeting up with Todd, Saturday I think, have to see how that plays out.

ragden - 7-6-2010 at 08:06 AM

We'll see what the winds say... :)

shehatesmyhobbies - 7-6-2010 at 11:56 AM

I would love to go either place. Not sure if his items are going to be in on time to go down there next weekend. I could possibly be up to a Dewey run. Would be great to see ragden in action on that kite board!

sofa king - 9-6-2010 at 07:08 AM

15mph winds tomorrow(Thursday), ill be down there 10am-4pm if anyone cares to join me

dtoast - 12-7-2010 at 01:46 PM

Don’t own any gear for the water, but going to be in Bethany the weekend of the 24th. If anyone is going to be in the area it would be great to meet up. I’m really looking to try and get out on the water, especially after being in Charleston last weekend and seeing kites everywhere, but not having the gear or knowhow for the water. Closest I got to being on the water was using my 6.5m to pull 6 people on a big floating trampoline 20 blocks down the beach and using my Beamer to pill myself around in a blow up boat. Surprisingly they both worked beyond my expectations.

rdavis - 12-7-2010 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtoast
Don’t own any gear for the water, but going to be in Bethany the weekend of the 24th. If anyone is going to be in the area it would be great to meet up. I’m really looking to try and get out on the water, especially after being in Charleston last weekend and seeing kites everywhere, but not having the gear or knowhow for the water. Closest I got to being on the water was using my 6.5m to pull 6 people on a big floating trampoline 20 blocks down the beach and using my Beamer to pill myself around in a blow up boat. Surprisingly they both worked beyond my expectations.

Doh, I'm heading to Chincoteague for about a week starting on the 23rd, otherwise I would meet up with you. I'm usually in the Dewey area every weekend if I can help it. Maybe next time!

WELDNGOD - 12-7-2010 at 02:26 PM

Hey Rian, what are you gonna be doin in my Fd' up state anyway? Didn't I put the word out that VA is kiter UN-friendly?:piggy:

rdavis - 12-7-2010 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WELDNGOD
Hey Rian, what are you gonna be doin in my Fd' up state anyway? Didn't I put the word out that VA is kiter UN-friendly?:piggy:

:lol: Yeah, I got the memo!

My friend's grandmother has a place on the island, he and his fiance take their vacation there every year during Pony Penning week. They invite me down to hang out. Other than the mosquito's, I really like it there. I brought my buggy down last year and had it sitting on the beach on Assateague. One of the rangers that was patrolling the beach had stopped and was watching me static fly, finally she got out and asked about the buggy. After I explained, she said I couldn't use it, simply because of the crowds. I understood though and it didn't really bother me. They didn't have a problem with me static flying and jumping across the beach. She was pretty cool and it turns out she was a kiteboarder.....she was diggin the buggy.

ragden - 13-7-2010 at 05:53 AM

If you are in the Assateague area, just be very mindful of what you are doing. There has been some bad press down there, and we would hate to lose access to the bay side for kiteboarding. Apparently someone landed their kite on a car in the parking lot, or some such other tom-foolery.
Thanks!

rdavis - 13-7-2010 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
If you are in the Assateague area, just be very mindful of what you are doing. There has been some bad press down there, and we would hate to lose access to the bay side for kiteboarding. Apparently someone landed their kite on a car in the parking lot, or some such other tom-foolery.
Thanks!

No worries, i'm always cautious when I fly. :thumbup: If I get to do any flying at all, it'll probably just be on my Blade doing some scudding and jumping after the beach has cleared. Plus, i'm assuming the incident you mentioned happened on Assateague up in Maryland....i'll be down in Virginia, completely different spot.

ragden - 13-7-2010 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

No worries, i'm always cautious when I fly. :thumbup: If I get to do any flying at all, it'll probably just be on my Blade doing some scudding and jumping after the beach has cleared. Plus, i'm assuming the incident you mentioned happened on Assateague up in Maryland....i'll be down in Virginia, completely different spot.

Oh, true. This was on the bay side in the MD area. Absolutely right. Thanks for the clarification. :)

sofa king - 22-9-2010 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

Oh, true. This was on the bay side in the MD area. Absolutely right. Thanks for the clarification. :)

You mean in the DE area, off tower's road?

rdavis - 23-9-2010 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sofa king
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

You mean in the DE area, off tower's road?

Sofa, we were taking about two different spots on Assateague Island. One spot is in Virginia, the other is in Maryland, south of Ocean City. Did you have a question about the Tower Rd. area? I'm local to that area and am usually down there fairly often during the summer.

Todd - 30-9-2010 at 04:58 PM

Sunday is looking pretty sweet for the Bowl in Baltimore, I'm in if it holds!

Maven454 - 1-10-2010 at 03:22 AM

You must be looking at a different forecast then I am. This afternoon however looks awesome. NNW in the teens all day.

Todd - 1-10-2010 at 04:45 AM

It was a different forecast last night, blowing straight out of the north. Now Sunday just might be a trip to the beach and visit with Donnie. If it holds :smilegrin:

ragden - 1-10-2010 at 05:44 AM

Saturday looks good at the Bowl, but I'll probably be in Lewes, DE, trying to take advantage of the water, while its still warm enough... :)

sofa king - 1-10-2010 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Saturday looks good at the Bowl, but I'll probably be in Lewes, DE, trying to take advantage of the water, while its still warm enough... :)

its still warm enough without a wetsuit? if so ill cya thar.

lad - 1-10-2010 at 11:14 AM

Last week the water, at least down at OC, was incredibly warm - but the storms might have changed all that now...

sofa king - 1-10-2010 at 12:05 PM

^^i know, i was in wildwood last week :D, but it was rather hot out then, tommorrow its gonna be like 70degrees....butttttt this is my last chance it looks like, so ill deal with the coldness if ragen is gonna with me :bigok: but just a heads up this is gonna be my first time on the water(again, the real first time didnt work out so well)

P.S. Todd, what/where is "the bowl" in baltimore?

Todd - 1-10-2010 at 12:12 PM

Middle Branch Park Baltimore MD (link)

ragden - 2-12-2010 at 09:12 AM

If heading up to Tug Hill doesnt work out this weekend, there are other options... There is the possibility that The Bowl might be rideable on Sunday. Looks like there might be too much west in the wind, but it might also work out. Hard to call.

Barring that, Wildwood would be rideable in NW conditions. It will be off-shore, bit bumpy, but the tide will be nice and low. Could prove to be a fun day if people are interested. I havent ironed out my plans and am considering all possibilities.. Anyone else interested?

Frathouse - 2-12-2010 at 10:13 AM

Dam I thought this thread was dead! :) I won't be heading to the tug this weekend. New years I will if the conditions are good. The bowl sounds like fun let's see if it sets up.

ragden - 3-12-2010 at 10:32 AM

Looking at forecasts again, I see too much wind in the predictions for the Bowl this weekend. Bummer, as I was looking forward to it. Wind is almost at 300 degrees... Just too much west.

Wildwood on the other hand might be amazing... Anyone game?

bobalooie57 - 3-12-2010 at 10:42 AM

@ragden, did you see this? http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=16027

ragden - 3-12-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobalooie57
@ragden, did you see this? http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=16027

Nope, didnt see that one. Thanks for pointing it out. I was on the NJBuggyClub though, and saw that they are planning on being out there.

Not positive I'm going to make the trip though... Might stay home and take care of stuff around the place... We'll see.
Thanks!

ragden - 15-12-2010 at 07:02 AM

Current wind forecasts for Sunday: Baltimore, MD 10-16mph NNW. Might change between now and then... Will keep an eye on it.. The Bowl could be epic if that holds... (though extremely cold)

Maven454 - 15-12-2010 at 09:54 AM

Just as long as I don't get dragged up that hill again, I'm in.
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11