Power Kite Forum

water kite questions

Windeavor - 2-7-2009 at 09:46 AM

Researching next purchase which will be a water kite. Two questions. Between a bow, c-kite and foil is there one style that is generally more durable long term assuming the equipment is well maintained? Second on the foils does salt and fine sand become a PITA to remove from the inside? I know about cleaning land foils but would think the addition of saltwater may make it more difficult to remove salt deposits and fine sand.

BeamerBob - 2-7-2009 at 09:50 AM

The foils are going to be more durable because they don't have vulnerable parts like high pressure inflatable bladders. Most kites have dirt outs that you just get the worst of it out through. Don't sweat the dusty stuff.

snobdr - 2-7-2009 at 10:06 AM

There are good and bad for both foils and inflatables. If your looking into water kites your best bet is goto your local lesson center (it best to have lessons in the water) and see what they recomend/use. They might also have deals on lessons with discount on gear.

BeamerBob - 2-7-2009 at 10:34 AM

Just a heads up. Your local lesson center (great advice to send you there) won't use or recommend foils in most cases. They tend to by and large use inflatables like they were taught with. Your equipment advice there will consist of which inflatable kite would be best for you. You will have to strike out on your own or seek further advice here if durability is high on your preference list. I don't want to sound anti-inflatable, but durability isn't one of their strong points even though I'm sure there are performance characteristics where inflatables excel.

dylanj423 - 2-7-2009 at 11:05 AM

i recommend an arc.... big range easy to fly..... auto zenith.... last a loooooong time.... a venom or synergy would suit you well, i believe... avoid the phantom for water

flysurfers are great kites, but suited more for an experienced kitesurfer

inflatos...know nothing

Windeavor - 2-7-2009 at 12:41 PM

Thanks guys! I definitely will be taking water lessons however they will sell me whatever they have. It's my own responsibility to research all options to make the best educated decision for myself based on my findings. I'm not going to depend on one instructor or school to tell me everything there is to know about kites and quality. Knowledge from the vast experience of users on this site it very much appreciated! Thanks again.

arkay - 2-7-2009 at 04:34 PM

I'd research what equipment the school use, because they will all use different equipment and you will likely get comfortable on what they teach on. So I'd seek out a school with equipment that you are likely to use. I've found that schools generally use hybrids or bows. C-kites are higher performance so they are not the best for a beginner, and foils are too expensive for schools... since after all people learning tend to crash the kite :(

In getting on water, I personally chose to get a relativity cheap but good quality hybrid and learn on that. So that if I crashed it or destroyed it I wouldn't be mentally damaged that much. I also got one that was easy to fly so that I could focus on learning board technique and worry less about flying the kite. Then transition to a better kite, and in that time and once you develop your water skills, you'll likely have tried other kites and will be able to demo kites so that you can find one that suites you well.

Arcs are fun, very very nice to fly, I've never flown one on water but those I've seen flown on water were great in the air but a pain once they hit the water. This is only an observation; I could be wrong here.

Bladerunner - 2-7-2009 at 05:48 PM

Peter Lynn Arcs are something to look in to .

If properly kept they are very durable. They have huge openings at each end + the middle so clean out isn't an issue.

Arcs have a unique " Auto Zenith " feature. Very handy during that point in learning when getting set up in your board is clumsy. You can forget about the kite while getting set up with your board. Auto zenith makes for far fewer ( almost no ) kite crashes.

Windeavor - 2-7-2009 at 05:56 PM

Yeah I've been checking out the PL Synergy. Looks very nice.

DAKITEZ - 2-7-2009 at 09:51 PM

If you want to take a little drive I can let you try out a synergy and neo. Problem is you will need a few sessions to just get use to the bar and another few to get use to the de-power.

I plan to get out on the water this year as well as another local. We can all go out together and laugh at each other trying to get going on the boards :lol:

nwsurfwakeskate - 3-7-2009 at 12:32 AM

depends on where you're wanting to take your riding.

Foils:
Get you on the water in lighter wind
Jump Higher
Glide longer
More Tuning options
Pack Smaller
Last Longer (pin holes are no biggie, no bladders, no valves)
No Pumping (hard work on larger kites, plus pumps break a lot too)
And in most cases are self sufficient (no need to get a launch or a land)
Advanced users can drift launch

SLE's
Mainstream
Cleaner line plan
Better support base for repairs
Handles High shifting winds better in my opinion
Easier to do assisted launches
Have the ability to self launch at the edge of the wind window if you can attach the chickenloop to something. (works great for onshore wind spots where there is no beach down wind but plenty to the sides)

Personally I fly both.

SLE's for the nuking days when its frequently gusting into the 30's and maybe 40's and Foils from about 13mph up to around 28mph winds.

I'd say try and get a Flysurfer Pulse 2 or Psycho 4.

If you're gonna go the SLE route look at the Eclipse Thruster 08-09 or Nano 08-09, Ocean Rodeo Rise 07-09 and Naish Cult 08-09 or Helix 09 and if you want to go cheap then check out Waroo's from 07 and newer.

once you know how to ride you should be able to get demo's on just about all of those inflatable kites as well as many others. most dealers follow the try before you buy marketing approach.

good luck and have fun!

Windeavor - 5-7-2009 at 07:17 PM

Thanks all for the insight.
Dakitez I may take you up on that offer.
Friend of mine just took his first water lesson in Alameda and it went well.
Alameda seems a great spot for breginners as it is shallow and generally has side shore wind.

AD72 - 5-7-2009 at 11:01 PM

I will be in Alameda on Saturday July 11th giving the Pulse a go in the water. I was sold on the water relaunch video and that it can be used on land. I have done a bunch of body draging in the water and scudding on the beach, 3 seasons of buggying so far. I must get on the board this season with the Pulse!

The school in Alameda uses inflatables and has all the gear to rent for lessons. I remember that I had to book with them in advance since they are busy on the weekends in the summer.