Power Kite Forum

Kite Board + Boat?

solarix - 4-8-2009 at 07:13 PM

Has anyone tried a kite board behind a boat?

I tried it out of "desperation" the inland winds simply are not good enough on my local lake.

It did not work, I could not push the board over the water no matter how hard I tried.

Jerry

edk442 - 4-8-2009 at 07:39 PM

never tried but heard you can, you just have to lean far back so that your front tip doesn't dive into the water because of the shallow rocker

BeamerBob - 4-8-2009 at 07:45 PM

what do you mean by "push the board over the water"? I'm a wakeboarder and an aspiring kiteboarder, but don't know what your phrase means. Maybe I help you learn something or you teach me something. Good either way.

burritobandit - 4-8-2009 at 07:58 PM

I've kitedboarded behind a jetski and we were up and planing, but it felt very different because of the reduced rocker. We were using a Liquid Force Drop 132. We couldn't really pop off the water, and switching from toe to heel was hard because the kiteboard's fins really locked in (i think they were 2 or 3cm fins)

What kiteboard were you using?

FloRider - 4-8-2009 at 08:25 PM

How bout we throw the reverse scenario in here too. Any luck using a wakeboard behind a kiteboard?

BeamerBob - 4-8-2009 at 08:30 PM

I've heard that the heavy rocker on a wakeboard makes it too much drag to work well behind a kite.

WIllardTheGrey - 4-8-2009 at 08:33 PM

Some old guy here in Florence uses a skim board to cruse with, If I had a wet suit I would give it a shot.

nwsurfwakeskate - 4-8-2009 at 09:09 PM

kiteboard behind boat = really fast locked in feeling with no pop.

wakeboard behind kite = no going upwind and difficult edging.

wakeboard bindings behind a kite seems sketch to me unless you are really good and riding wakestyle

kite pads and straps behind a boat feels really sketch and difficult to cut toeside or pop off the wake.

with all that said the only time I've ever actually beaten the boat (aka cut so hard I got infront of it) was on a kiteboard. felt kinda cool but other then that it was sort of boring to ride behind a boat.

krumly - 4-8-2009 at 09:10 PM

No problem using a kiteboard being towed by a boat. Never having having wakeboarded or snowboarded before, that's how I learned to ride my kiteboard. FWIW, I was usually behind an 18' Lund with a 90 Hp outboard. Having a towing post helped - kept the rope up a bit.

krumly

solarix - 5-8-2009 at 07:16 PM

Basically, I could not plane the board at all. I let go at the point where my fingers were pinned between the handle and the board due to the pain of it all. I never reached anything close to being in a plane, more like inside a wave tube. After 4 attempts I could no longer hang on and gave up in frustration. I believe the boat was too fast too hard and too low, no "lift", but,, I wonder about my experience as well.

18' 175HP top speed 48MPH. Not sure what that compares to.

Jerry