Power Kite Forum

Beating upwind

kitedog - 7-9-2009 at 08:54 AM

Question for you kitesurfers.

What kind of techniques do you use to beat upwind while overpowered? Does having a larger board hurt you in higher winds?

I was in 22 to 27 mph winds yesterday on my Pulse 2 8 mtr. Was switching between 1/2 pulled in on the trim strap and fully extended (fully depowered the kite was a little flakey and I only used that for walking the kite to and from launch or landing). My board is a 145 litewave and I weigh about 180.

My experience on the water is limited and this was the strongest wind I've been in since starting to kitesurf. It was a little schizo feeling because I'd feel well powered and think I was going upwind, letting go with my leading hand and twisting for maximum effect but then I'd look at my position relative to the shore and other kiters and I'd be losing ground. (I do loose a lot of ground on the carving transitions and heel to heel transitions I'm practicing, but I've been able to stay upwind in less wind during my last two sessions.)

Nate was on a Pulse 1 10 mtr with a 135 board. He had the kite fully trimmed and was lit -- boosting huge air! Then, he was going upwind like a banshee. Granted, he has a good deal more water time than I do but I was a little mystified as I walked my rig up the beach after being out in the water for an hour or more and struggling for every bit of upwind ground.

I did feel like I was getting blown off my edge at times...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg

manitoulinkiter1 - 7-9-2009 at 12:14 PM

Hey

I"ve never flown a Flysurfer (want to, will soon)
so I don't know the wind range of the kite, but if you can stay upwind in less wind then you were likely overpowered.
When learning people usually try to get upwind without enough power and if you can do that(in less wind) try a smaller board.
If you were you getting pulled off your edge you were likely overpowered. Put all your weight on your back foot and lean waaaaay back. I call that survival kiting and it gets to be a lot of work and not so much fun.
I have a OR Zen 135 by 43 and when I set the edge its like its locked on a rail, but as the wind picks up I get pulled off the edge by the gusts and lose ground. Thats usually when I grab my smaller board.
Hope that helps a little
John

syuzhak - 7-9-2009 at 12:42 PM

Stomp on your back foot, and push your way up wind. Keep the kite depowered...

Try keeping the kite low.

PHREERIDER - 7-9-2009 at 06:56 PM

kite should trimmed to depower.

you have to get your whole body into the balance with the kite

keeping the keep ahead of you @ about 60 degrees of the water

with the tide movement in the inlet it going to be tough

LOOK to an up line allow the board to point upwind as speed builds, wave peaks should be going under you, up the face with edging and over and on top of the board down the back then ride in the trough of the swells a bit then up the face with edge maintaining your line . as you come close to shore in these areas the current flow will move you down as well as being blown you just lose ground very easily. a big board will gain speed and be hard to handle with alot of power. kite power and edge control will come with feel . too much kite is usually the problem . it will get better just keep doing what your doing . relax, feel out the kite, feel out the board, edging and on top and toeside . equipment adjustment will only prolong skill development. the 145 and the 13m should really be all round set up . if the board has a concave bottom even better it will absorb more power.

my feelings with the FS is you have to run it really depowered to the edge and steady . as you Let the bar out suddenly the kite is probably races forward then suddenly back as you pull it back into the power zone loading up and dragging down wind, really sometimes you can't realize it and with in a few seconds you just been pulled off your line 50 yds at every surge .

hip and shoulder rotation, maintain focus on your point of sail and manage power for steady flow where your forward speed gives you control. it takes time and coastal tide movement can be tough .

settle into repeatable gear choice where skill can develop. trim for bar feel and kite response . solid powered up "on your toes"and still can walk back wards .

water starts eats up alot of position and turns can as well . longer runs out will help with ground lost on turns. better upwind lines are found as forward speed increase . once you get good planning and speed , edge control and depower in your point of sail you'll run up wind easy. but at 27 mph its gonna be fast.

kitedog - 7-9-2009 at 07:06 PM

I really want to get back out and try some of these suggestions but I doubt we'll see winds like that for a while. Thanks for the tips. I'd like to come out and check your spot Phree...

PHREERIDER - 8-9-2009 at 05:45 AM

i missed the sunday breeze , had some travel stuff.

got no wind here and this time of year is hard to predict

just keep doing it don't worry about the upwind thing it will be effortless before long