Power Kite Forum

Reactor II 5.5m

BigMikesKites - 21-9-2009 at 01:21 PM

Peter Lynn Reactor II 5.5m Review

Since the new Peter Lynn Reactor II came out a couple weeks ago, I've been wanting to try it out. Of course as things always go when you get a new kite, it rained for the past two weeks here in Dallas. So I didn't get to put it through the paces like I wanted to.

Finally, today I got with my buddy Eric and we went out to fly this kite.

Bag: The bag is excellently made. It is definitely a step up from the 'Access Line' of kite bags. But this is a Pro line kite and I would expect nothing less from Peter Lynn. The mouth is a bit small I thought, but it keeps the kite secure and well protected. With this kite comes a snap strap to keep it taught when in storage.

Line: Typical Peter Lynn Power Kite lines. Nothing special here. The standard true and true quality materials that we have come to expect from Peter Lynn.

Handles: Standard Handles

Stake: Standard Peter Lynn stake. Mine was absent a sheath as I have had from my other Peter Lynn kites. I'm not sure if that is standard, or if I just got unlucky.

Kite Killers: None supplied

Flight: I mentioned all the rain we have had lately. Well, the wind was so non existent today that the flags couldn't get off the pole. At the time of flight the wind speed was 1.3 mph with a max of 3.1 mph as noted with my windmeter.

Yet, the force was driving us to get this kite off the ground somehow. It took a little coaxing due to the lack of wind, but once we got it airborne, she flew beautifully. I was completely amazed at the Power behind this kite at such small wind speeds.

It is quick in the air too. Turning is crisp, responsive and accurate. We even put it at the edge of the window (wherever that was today) and it had no tendencies to do anything but slow down and wait for your command. With no wind and brakes, this thing whipped around like a dog when someone pulls its tail. Unbelievable!

Looking closely at the kite you will notice the lack of bridle lines on this kite. Not only are there alot fewer than most kites, but they are alot thinner lines. Almost the thickness of brake lines on most Power Kites. They are definitely of a different material than what I have become accustomed to.

Speaking of material, when Eric first unfolded the kite...get this, I'm undoing lines and he hurries to unfurl my kite for the first time. Nice. LOL. He couldn't wait to see it.

Back to the story...when he unfurls it and picks it up, his first comment was how heavy this kite is. 'Feels like Denim' he says. I don't know about denim, but it is definitely heavier than other kites of a similar size. But this in no way affects performance.

Synopsis: Wow. Amazing kite. I will have more to report when I get some wind. I can't wait to get it on the buggy and try it out. The kite is a bit on the pricey side, but it is worth it in every respect.

To be continued:::

UPDATED: Flight 2

3 mph winds. BAH. What do I have to do to get some wind around here. Wait, pack up the kite to leave....then the wind picks up.

Still alot of fun. Waiting for closer to 10 and break out the buggy.

acampbell - 23-9-2009 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Akulakat
Peter Lynn Reactor II 5.5m Review

Back to the story...when he unfurls it and picks it up, his first comment was how heavy this kite is. 'Feels like Denim' he says. I don't know about denim, but it is definitely heavier than other kites of a similar size. But this in no way affects performance.

The RII is actually a teeny bit lighter than the original. But you've beaten me to the air with it and I can't wait to fly mine too. thanks for the review and heads up.

lunchbox - 23-9-2009 at 11:31 AM

Quote:

Now this concerns me because I was really hoping that the new RII's fabric would be something similar to that of the ripstop they use on the YaS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s. Light but strong.

I was happy to see Angus's reply because I don't find my RI that heavy at least compared to my old school beamer II's.

Anyone know why they don't use a lighter fabric like the yaS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s? Is it durability, stability or what...or am I just crazy and there is no difference???

acampbell - 23-9-2009 at 01:47 PM

They use at least 3 different types of fabric throughout the kite according to the application.

Actually, considering that I compared weights of the 4.9m R I to the 5.5 R II and they added two more cells to the 5.5, the fact that is is lighter at all is impressive. (I allowed for the difference in size by calculating lbs/ sq. m)

BigMikesKites - 23-9-2009 at 04:29 PM

i think eric was used to his other kites. Mostly Flexifoil. It doesn't fly like it is heavy. To me, it is just 'different'. I guess I could weigh it compared to a twister or something.

But weight isn't something on my list of concerns when it is a dream to fly.

acampbell - 23-9-2009 at 04:58 PM

It's all good; I was not trying to contradict you but your post simply made me curious and led me look at it more since I had not flown mine yet. Nothing tells you more about the kite 'till you put it in the sky. tomorrow...

ripsessionkites - 23-9-2009 at 05:11 PM

true the RII is lighter than the RI ... just in material alone.

talking with Michel D. they went with Mirai material since its a little more forgiving. With the reduced bridles "3 cells apart" they need something that gives more. If you look at other kites say the Nitro Evo that using Porcher or Skytiger that using Icarex that doesnt give as much they can have to put bridles per cell or only 2 cells apart.

lunchbox - 23-9-2009 at 06:03 PM

Quote:

But weight isn't something on my list of concerns when it is a dream to fly.

Very true...can't wait to fly one...saving as we speak!

Thanks for the information Angus and Rip!

RonH - 23-9-2009 at 07:39 PM

I have had about 4 hours on mine. :wee:

All I can add here is it flys even better in 15mph! I would not hesitate to ride with the 5.5 in winds up 20 if I had the space. the low lift really helps.

Ron

-mj- - 9-10-2009 at 04:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Now this concerns me because I was really hoping that the new RII's fabric would be something similar to that of the ripstop they use on the YaS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s. Light but strong.

Anyone know why they don't use a lighter fabric like the yaS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s? Is it durability, stability or what...or am I just crazy and there is no difference???

Actually the fabric used in the Yakuza GT is the same as PL uses for the access range, and not much different then what has been used for the R II (except the porcher reinforcements in the R II), (Porcher is the fabric Ozone used in the past for the Yak, and what made them good)

No brand bashing intended but these things are important to know IMO, (you should know what you pay for)

furbowski - 9-10-2009 at 05:19 AM

thanks for the review...

bet you wish you'd kept that twister!

keep it coming, I love the way you're getting right into this sport!

lunchbox - 9-10-2009 at 08:10 AM

Quote:

Actually the fabric used in the Yakuza GT is the same as PL uses for the access range, and not much different then what has been used for the R II (except the porcher reinforcements in the R II), (Porcher is the fabric Ozone used in the past for the Yak, and what made them good) No brand bashing intended but these things are important to know IMO, (you should know what you pay for)

Thanks for the information MJ!