Power Kite Forum

board of choice

edk442 - 2-11-2009 at 02:29 PM

seems like i hear alot about spleene boards and was looking at getting a spleene RIP high tech series

whats your opinion of spleene boards? are there other brands I should be looking at. this is vague i know but i don't want to look so much at specific boards as i do about general craftsmanship, reputation, quality, value etc...

if you were gonna get a new board, what brand would it be!

bigkahuna - 2-11-2009 at 02:43 PM

I've ridden boards by most of the top brands over the years. To be honest, construction quality has improved across the board for all brands over the years. You really need to ride a board before buying it, what works for me may not work for you. Case in point, I paid close to $800 for a new Ocean Rodeo board and hated it, sold it to another guy and he loved it. Price is also not a clear indicator on quality, for example, I later bought a Liquid Force el cheapo board for $300, changed the fins and it's now my go-to board for waves.

PHREERIDER - 2-11-2009 at 02:47 PM

Jimmy Lewis or spleene . maybe the spleene?? both are supreme boards though.

burritobandit - 2-11-2009 at 02:56 PM

I've only heard good things about Spleenes, but they are kinda pricey (new, at least.. i rarely see them on ebay).

When shopping for a board you're going to have to consider the type of water you'll be riding (flat, chop, surf, combo of some/all), your body weight (heavier rider usually = bigger board unless winds are strong), and the windspeeds (light = bigger board/strong= smaller board) you'll be riding in.

One thing that makes board shopping easier is that you can demo them at pretty much any kiteboarding shop for a fee. I've seen $30 and $35 fees, and varying policies. One shop I've been to lets you pay $35 for the day and they will let you demo multiple boards, but you can only take one at at time. Another lets you take only 1 board per day. At both shops they apply your demo fee as credit towards a board purchase.

PHREERIDER - 2-11-2009 at 03:00 PM

i agree with BK, the ride is the real deal

high quality is great but currently i'll jump on anything that rides great

good example KGB good all around design favoring freestyle but great easy ride for about $300.

the more you ride the more you'll know

ripsessionkites - 2-11-2009 at 03:16 PM

ive never heard a complaint about the Spleene boards we sell. I have been riding a Underground board for awhile but this season i'm going for a Spleene.

my opinion doesnt count, since we distribute these. they are truly well built boards along with other good brands like Nobile / Underground / Litewave / etc

ragden - 3-11-2009 at 06:16 AM

I've got a couple spleene boards, and I love them. Problem is, I've never ridden anything else. Been meaning to try some other boards, just hasnt happened yet. I like what I have, so I dont generally try much else... I've been curious to try the Slingshot Misfits and Lunacy's though, just havent done it... The new Spleenes and Flyboards look really nice, both of my spleene boards are 07s... If you can ride before you buy, I think you'll have a much better time with it... :)

edk442 - 13-11-2009 at 10:18 AM

what are some good beginner boards? boards that specifically designed to get you up faster and easier. the spleene door gets a nod in that department, but damn thats a big board! i've heard width is more important than length when your beginning so what size should i be looking at if i'm 5'11" 180 pounds and will be riding on flat water and just looking to freeride for the moment

ripsessionkites - 16-11-2009 at 10:43 PM

spleene fun tech series

tridude - 17-11-2009 at 06:43 PM

Lattiude also makes a sweet board 2 $250.........................................

tridude - 17-11-2009 at 06:56 PM

appreciate the KGB bump.................a fine board no doubt...........