Power Kite Forum

gettin' carded

PHREERIDER - 25-11-2009 at 01:25 PM

IKO card? CHECK!

cheap liability $39/yr and told it covers rescue cost from CG, not sure how that works nor do i want to find out. planetary coverage is the best part .

ragden - 25-11-2009 at 01:34 PM

How hard is it to get IKO certified?
I know I looked into it at one point, and it looked like more trouble than it was worth...

power - 25-11-2009 at 01:59 PM

What is IKO certification?

indigo_wolf - 25-11-2009 at 02:44 PM

Check here:
http://www.ikointl.com/iko.php?page=discovery-kiteboarder-pr...

They have certs for static, water, and snow kiting.

ATB,
Sam

kitedog - 25-11-2009 at 03:22 PM

The insurance looks good but getting certified looks geographically challenging. Phree...where did you get certified?

G

BeamerBob - 26-11-2009 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kitedog
The insurance looks good but getting certified looks geographically challenging. Phree...where did you get certified?

G

Yeah, and all the places to get certified are a long way away too!:rolleyes::roll:

Bladerunner - 26-11-2009 at 07:37 AM

Does anybody at all have certificates for buggy and atb ????

How about in Europe.

Bladerunner - 28-11-2009 at 10:18 AM

Can I take it that there is no such thing as official buggy / atb lessons in Europe or Great Britian ?

They are so organized I would have expected something to be available ?

If you are IKO insured as a water kiter does that insurance cover you in a buggy / atb ?

Chefmini - 28-11-2009 at 10:59 AM

I got my IKO Certification down in Miami. You have to be certified at Crandon Park if you want to ride at that specific spot. Got it after my lessons, water relaunch, self rescue, go upwind, kite set up. good to go.

indigo_wolf - 28-11-2009 at 11:56 AM

Quote:

Does anybody at all have certificates for buggy and atb ????

How about in Europe.

Don't believe IKO has certs for buggy or atb. Thought I have seen ATB classes in the UK/Europe... not sure about buggy. Don't recall seeing certs for either.

In some ways it a chicken/egg thing. Last year I went looking for power kiting insurance for the AKA for Power Kiting. Insurance companies get very skittish as soon as wheels are concerned.

ATB,
Sam

Krohn1999 - 29-11-2009 at 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
Can I take it that there is no such thing as official buggy / atb lessons in Europe or Great Britian ?

They are so organized I would have expected something to be available ?

In Germany the Governing Body is the GPA (German Parakart Assocation). Here there are many schools for Buggy and ATB. There are also certified Instructors that give you a written and a Practical test for buggy, there is no License for ATB as of now but they are working on it. We use the FISLY Parakart class 8 Rules.
This is the only way to get a "G number".
With the G number you can ride at any Buggy spot in Europe (Several spots are closed to people with a License) and you are qualified to join the racing circuts in Europe.
You are not required to have a license from most Insurance companys but I'm sure it helps when somthing goes wrong.
Most Insurance companys cover all kite sports automatically, others charge you a small amout every year. Most companys limit you line length to under 30 meters.
Holland (Buggy Club Holland) is very similar to Germany as far as the number goes. For Insurance you would need to ask Ozzy.
The other countries in Europe have systems in place, but I don't know how they work. I'm sure that they are all similar. As far as I know they all use FISLY.

Chris

Bladerunner - 29-11-2009 at 09:34 AM

AHA,

I thought something like GPA must exist !

I'm curious. I am KC96 with NAPKRA . If I get to Germany can I ride / race on my NAPKRA number ? If not, how could I be sure I can ride / race once I get there ahead of time ?

[NAPKRA = North American Parakart Race Ass. our race group ]

Krohn1999 - 29-11-2009 at 03:11 PM

The best thing to do is contact Jens Ball (President GPA) and ask him.
1vorsitzender@gpa.de

Do you have plans on comming over soon? Let me know we can meet up and I'll show you some great Buggy beaches.

Chris

Bladerunner - 29-11-2009 at 05:51 PM

I only wish I was ! Rip will be heading over soon. He is a much better Rep' for Canada anyway !

PHREERIDER - 29-11-2009 at 07:07 PM

any active instructor can certify you. crandon park is a spot to ride, but it has a park charge, you must be card holder to ride there or be in a lesson w/ an instructor. it has a limit of # of riders @ any one time . you can launch across the road for free and ride with rest of the locals.

not that big a deal, demo basic stuff like chefmini says. i ride with the local pros often and recently asked him about it along with ICP for IKO. hit a 4 hour session fri on a holy west wind, oh what fun! it's about time

wanjia - 29-11-2009 at 08:24 PM

i am curious ,if everone got the certificates?
what is the certificates???:sniff:

ripsessionkites - 29-11-2009 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Krohn1999
The best thing to do is contact Jens Ball (President GPA) and ask him.
1vorsitzender@gpa.de

Do you have plans on comming over soon? Let me know we can meet up and I'll show you some great Buggy beaches.

Chris

i've been talking with others in europe, and NO your NAPKRA doesnt work. Until we prove ourselves as a Racing League we're pretty invisable. Im working on getting NAPKRA on KBA but that takes time. In Canada / USA we need to do a lot more racing, setup a structure, examiners, and be global.
NAPRKA has event insurance, not personal insurance from my understanding.

depending on where you go as a tourist, you may or may not need a buggy license. If you plan to race, GPA / BCH / API, also there are small crews that buggy race too, Kraft 4, Vp Riders / etc, both will exam you and give you X-Number.

Ill be putting KC / US on the map in September 2010 at World Cup. Look for the PINK SKIRT in the Vids. ROFL.

why do i need IKO Cert to kitesurf? who going to check me when i kitesurf?

Bladerunner - 30-11-2009 at 05:40 PM

Wanjia, go to the link in this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo_wolf
Check here:
http://www.ikointl.com/iko.php?page=discovery-kiteboarder-pr...

They have certs for static, water, and snow kiting.

ATB,
Sam

At present I think it makes sense that NAPKRA is not accepted. I am a member but have never been in a race . We are still WAY behind in this stuff!