Power Kite Forum

Rotating Harness?

Jovver - 21-12-2009 at 12:34 PM

Anyone see this video?

Looks like a pretty crazy but amazing idea! I'd be afraid of missing a handlepass and getting dragged backwards with no way of reaching your CL safety. :o

carltb - 21-12-2009 at 01:02 PM

definatley not something i would try!! too many things that could go wrong with it.

f0rgiv3n - 21-12-2009 at 01:22 PM

:cool::thumbup: LOL . I was really skeptical at the beginning but the last part of it was HILARIOUS. Spinning around like that with no hands. I could see myself hitting that bar too often though.

jellis - 21-12-2009 at 01:29 PM

That is a great idea. I've built a few traveler bar types for the buggy and still think there is a place for this type setup. There is always a better idea just around the corner. Hooray for the experimenters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jovver - 21-12-2009 at 01:41 PM

Like I mentioned before, the only thing that would make this type of setup fool proof is an easy CL hook release. This may be a rare situation, but say you stop spinning, the Cl is behind you, and the kite is pulling like a truck... You better hope the kite crashes sooner rather than later, because the only thing you can do is make the best of that terrifying ride. I have no experience whatsoever on the water yet, but would it be possible to rotate more than you wish on a spin/ handlepass and get into serious trouble?

jellis - 21-12-2009 at 02:16 PM

I have used a belt type traveler harness for years and love the way it slides over against the rail and pulls from that side rather than trying to twist me towards the kite. Some of my buddies complain about their backs after a long run using the center fixed harness but this sliding method takes all that twisting pressure away. Just another buggier locking at it a different way.
jellis

Woodland - 21-12-2009 at 06:04 PM

Here's another one that looks a little more usable. It's called the Dynabar. I've seen it online before, but forgot about it until this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFCqfMQvNUA

It reminds me that I want one. Dang it!!

Kamikuza - 21-12-2009 at 06:08 PM

Looks like a development on the Dynabar eh ...

Kamikuza - 21-12-2009 at 06:08 PM

Looks like a development on the Dynabar eh ...

ripsessionkites - 23-12-2009 at 11:34 AM

didnt dakine make a sliding spreader before?

Kamikuza - 23-12-2009 at 06:39 PM

Think they made one with a hook that rotated up and down ...

lad - 23-12-2009 at 06:52 PM

The Paraskiflex harness has a large Panic Snap that rides along heavy line whose ends are attached to the harness near the hips - hence, a simplified Dynabar.