Power Kite Forum

Best all around wetsuit

power - 15-1-2010 at 10:56 PM

Looking for a wetsuit that will suit me for most conditions, basically looking for the most versatile and most common wetsuit size. Thanks.

arkay - 15-1-2010 at 11:04 PM

I really like my xcel x-zip 4/3. It's got a padded warm chest area so it's plenty warn for the cold but it's not too heavy so it not overly hot either! It's not a rear entry, you get in thru the neck and zip a collar over. so I find it lets in much less water then a rear entry. I've used it betweem 50 and 70; though at 70 you can really just kite naked :)

ripsessionkites - 16-1-2010 at 02:26 AM

ive heard good things about Hyperflex. im probably going to get one for the spring months when I have to return the drysuit back to BladeR.

also the cyclone series isnt that expensive neither.

if you ride cold water, the Lucifer would be my first pick.

DenisLaMenace - 16-1-2010 at 06:36 PM

this one is cool

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/star-trek-wetsuits-da...

Knolee - 16-1-2010 at 09:38 PM

Hyperflex doesn't have the greatest quality, but they come pretty cheap. If you're nice to them they'll hold up for two or three years. Get one at a shop though, online prices will be much higher...

xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX - 20-1-2010 at 06:41 PM

kitedog - 20-1-2010 at 06:57 PM

I'm loving my O'niell Mutant. It has smooth skin and the firewall chest. It's top entry and the collar which zips on can be changed out for a hood. 4/3 but not too hot when its warm and plenty warm when its cold. It's got this bead of sort of sticky stuff inside the sleeves and ankles that seems to keep the water out. Very flexible. Can't imagine a much better suit. I recommend it highly.

Oh yeah...the O'neill Super Freak Booties are good too! : )

power - 20-1-2010 at 07:44 PM

What's a 5/4/3? 5.43mm thick?

Knolee - 20-1-2010 at 08:30 PM

5 mm 4 mm and 3mm. Where movement is required like around the shoulders and other joints there will be 3mm. In places that don't see a lot of movement like your chest, that will be 5mm. The designers were making a balance between comfort and warmth. You'd hate to be stuck inside a wetsuit that was 5mm all around.
Hope this helps.

power - 20-1-2010 at 09:10 PM

Originally posted by xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX
Quote:

Not a waterproof or water repellent skin on this suit,

I thought wetsuits were made to allow water to get in contact with the skin and then have the heat of your body warm up the water?

ripsessionkites - 23-1-2010 at 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Originally posted by xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX
Quote:

Not a waterproof or water repellent skin on this suit,

I thought wetsuits were made to allow water to get in contact with the skin and then have the heat of your body warm up the water?

yes, thats is correct, however some "wetsuits" are using waterproofing material. i cant explain why but its suppose to keep you warmer.

if you ride in the winter and have colder climate adding a hood helps keep the warmth too. most people get by with just a 5 / 4 /3, booties and gloves.