Power Kite Forum

Ozone Frenzy

dai_pie - 14-6-2005 at 03:03 PM

I bought a samaurai a few weeks ago for buggying and jumping but as I live by the sea I now want to start kite surfing too.

As I'm very happy with my samurai I'm thinking of sticking with ozone & they say you can use a frenzy for kite surfing but is it water re-launchabel? I like the way its de-powerable and being a foil kite I reconed it would behave (relatively) similarly to my samurai.

Can any one advise, how do you rate the frenzy?

code - 29-3-2006 at 05:13 PM

Don't post much on the board and only get to check in here and there..so sorry this is a bit delayed. I know on Ozones website they mention that you can use the frenzy in the water as I've been considering the kite as a possibility myself. On land and snow the reviews are fantastic for the kite and everyone I know has been more then pleased with everything the kite has to offer. The downer to water use is like you asked..is it water re-launchable? The answer would be no. I don't own one, but am going by what I've read on Ozones website...they basically say that if the kite goes down you've gotta pack it in to land to re-launch.

Similar to yourself, I'm wanting to get into the water and have been flying on land for a bit. So I've been looking for the do-it-all kite as well..which doesn't seem to really exsist or maybe I just haven't found it yet. Down side to flying a kite like the frenzy in the water is that you're learning, so you're going to have some frustrations right there, then the frustration of having to pack the kite in every time you go down might just be enough to make the entire experience pretty bad.

So to answer your question...from the reviews I've read and friends I know that have'm they'll rate them atleast 9 out of 10 but for land and snow only.
Wish I had more money then I could give you a review from my own experiences :D

tridude - 17-4-2007 at 04:26 AM

Code,

I believe your do it all depower would be Flysurfer (land and water). DaVinch seems to have that market cornered so he may chime in with his inputs! OBTW, have you completed your demo of the Montanas? I sent mine back 2 AC with a full review. I havent posted yet, pending his approval to do so! Curious to see what you think about the new Montana!

B-Roc - 17-4-2007 at 09:25 AM

The ozone instinct is the water equivalent of the frenzy.

Around me there is one guy who uses his flysurfers on water and land and he loves them. I believe he's still flying the speed series.

another flies peter lynn venoms, pretty much exclusively and they are great on land and water but take more effort to setup and launch.

I was very impressed with the performance of the venom in the times I've observed it. Super stable in a huge wind range. The kite was so well behaved, at lunch, the rider simply latched it to his roof rack and let if float overhead until he was done eating. The auto-zenith feature is nice and the kite seems to offer decent traction, lift and upwind ability.

I think the arcs are the best thing you will find for doing it all. Or you'll need to go with an LEI like the instince and becareful flying it on land.

domdino - 17-4-2007 at 09:35 AM

Ozone do say you can use their frenzy on water, but it's only recommended for experts as it is totally unwaterrelaunchable! I used a 12m on the water once, and they are great, but they can luff a bit and if it fall out the sky its byebye kite and byebye life!

If you wanna stick to foils go for a flysurfer or a peter lynn (i use venoms on water these days, they are great and smooooth). The instinct is their water only kite, if you really wanna stick to foils and ozones then wait for the Vision to come out, it's their first closed cell foil!

awindofchange - 17-4-2007 at 12:43 PM

I third the Peter Lynn's for water and land use. Super stable kites, easy to learn with because they stay in the air with very little effort and can be used on snow, land or water. Totally water relaunchable.

powerzone - 18-4-2007 at 12:26 PM

Bump for Flysurfer kites.

water/land/snow.
BOW-like depower.
wide wind ranges.
Reverse launch.
Upwind performance.
total depower safety.
unassisted launch/landing even drift lauching and landing.
Durability (overpressure valves).
fastest kites to set-up and take down.
Free repair warranty.
High Resale value.

Bladerunner - 18-4-2007 at 04:03 PM

If you are looking to head out on the water, money well spent could go to lessons. A lesson will speed up your learning curve at an amazing rate. They supply all the right gear for getting started. Around here lessons are Seado assisted and it's definately the way to go. After a lesson or 2 going out with a foil will be far more practical. You will have learned how to self rescue, relaunch and the other basics if things go wrong.
If you wear an impact / boyancy vest it makes dealing with a foil a bit less of a hassle + makes good sense.
There are a few brands that make foils / twinskins for the water. I think Flysurfer $$$ would compare most closely to an Ozone on the water. Peter Lynn's seem to sell at a good second hand price but fly completely different.

powerzone - 22-4-2007 at 05:47 PM

Our local OZONE guru kiter has recently switched to Flysurfer .... he says "they feel exactly alike while flying, but the FS has the better safety and more depower"

he sold his 14m Frenzy for a Psycho3 13m..... now he wants a 10m Psycho3 to replace his 10m Frenzy....

hope that helps with your decisions....

SecondWind - 22-4-2007 at 07:09 PM

I really like my Flysurfers so far on land and snow.

Once I got familiar with (and learned how to pack up the right way) the long/complex bridles, I can set up and fly solo in less than five minutes - packing up also takes as long.

Should be in the water in the next week or so :thumbup:

leebrianh - 22-4-2007 at 07:19 PM

DaVinch, Let us know how Pshyco III does on water. - Brian

SecondWind - 22-4-2007 at 07:32 PM

Will do Brian.

powerzone - 22-4-2007 at 10:32 PM

what do you want to know about the Pshcho3 kites on water?

i've been on the P3 13m since October 2006..... i;m happy to answer any questions people may have.

the P3 is my favorite Flysurfer kite ever. i've used the TITAN 9.5m , Psycho2 13m, Speed 7m, Speed 13m, Speed 17m, Pulse 10m, and now Pshcyo3 13m

the Psycho3 kites are a little more difficult to reverse launch than any other FS model.... merely a technique issue or a mod/add-on which will help to assist in reverse launching.

after body dragging back to your board in the water, put the board ON your feet, adjust the trim strap all the way out, reach WAY up the leader lines, yank as hard as you can with both lines while pushing against the board. fly the kite backwards up 15 feet, let go of 1 line and fly to the edge of window with the bar pulled in and you'll be up and planing already. if the bar is sheeted out the kite will accellerate too much toward the window and generate maximum power in a burst IE "hot launch". so just keep the bar sheeted in to stall the kite out of the powerzone then you can depower the kite once you set your edge.