Power Kite Forum

Doors rule

tridude - 1-5-2010 at 03:32 PM

met a guy from Key West at Sullis today who owned a 159 Spleene Door as well.....................he was about 160 lbs and was on a 15m Waroo.....winds were 10 to 12ish........... we were both riding but only one of use upwind and jumping (wonder who).........probably 20 kites pumped but no joy.............had a hard time finding a place to land and pack out.......pulled the rear leaders to land the kite.................winds were lightish...............Spleene makes an awesome product................

Hardrock - 1-5-2010 at 04:21 PM

Sounds like you had a good day. Who went up wind. LOL

20 pumped? not enough wind?

Your going to have the whole crowd looking for Flysurfers.

Kamikuza - 1-5-2010 at 05:58 PM

Wish the guy I'm talking to would get the deal moving here :(

tridude - 11-8-2010 at 09:59 AM

10 to 15 mph hours winds @ Sullis yesterday.........it was up and down at best..................I was on the 12m S2 , Nate was riding strapless on my 13m Rev/6'fish, and we were the only ones riding...........took the Rev off Nate and jumped on the door............def increases the low end for any kite...........lastly a guy on a 12m Slingshot RPM asked to try it..................he wasnt doing alot on his board but on the Door he was upwind and jumping.....................these boards are truely awesome.................................

dylanj423 - 11-8-2010 at 10:52 AM

it was hard to justify the expense at first, but you are sure right... these boards rock... now i just need a little more wind than we have been having and i can try out my new synergy, too

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 05:59 PM

Great board, I loved mine ... hopefully love the new one more :D

borntofli - 11-8-2010 at 06:58 PM

Can you get going on the door sooner than a surfboard?? I have trouble w/ the flat twintips in the waves......Even it lightwind we always have waves....

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 07:17 PM

Haven't tried a surfboard ... but comparing my Square One (lots of volume and rocker) vs the Door - once I got the hang of the door, it was super-sweet!
Here on the lake, 10-15 knot northerlies means a "swell" of about 3 feet or more and whitecaps. So aside from the last time I was out when I got on the water as the wind arrived for about 10 minutes, before the waves caught up, I'm always riding in 'waves'.
At the beach of course, there's always waves. Worst day was probably 5-12' breakers at the shore line then about a 6' swell behind them ... only 2 sets of breakers so out beyond them was less of a hassle.
Oh, the other beach I've been too had maybe 6' waves but very aggressive pushing me back to shore. Required a bit of timing to get up and riding so I could ride over/through them before they hit me but doable ...

Carving through the flat water behind the waves ... priceless!

PHREERIDER - 12-8-2010 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by borntofli
Can you get going on the door sooner than a surfboard?? I have trouble w/ the flat twintips in the waves......Even it lightwind we always have waves....

An issue of weight needs to considered here . and planing speed a big TT and a surf board really closer than you think. a tall rider with large feet is gonna man handle a light wind board where a lighter rider on the same board would be out of control and uncontrollable... the edge control just isn't there. a surf board you ride on top more so a lighter rider gets a floaty effortless ride, "drives" it more so from on top, a big guy on surfboard can just bog through the water and not be so fun.

a smaller rider on a door, in flatter conditions, is gonna take it right down to lowest limit for sure. but if chop and swell are there its too much air in the first place and it will be hard to keep it together.

Kamikuza - 12-8-2010 at 07:57 AM

That's real interesting Phree ... ta!