Power Kite Forum

what kite for land and water ???

newboy - 12-7-2005 at 07:37 AM

is there a kit i can buy that does both land and water ?
im new to the sport and want to try both !
does it have to be 2 or 4 lines ?
and also do i only need a harness for land boarding
many thanks !:thumbup::yes:

bojin5 - 19-7-2005 at 07:59 AM

I have only just started flying power kites myself so my opinion is worth very little, but the peter lynn kites seem to cope with both water and land, I have seen people boarding and surfing with them.
From the advice I have got, you don't want to use a harness untill you are completely comfortable with the kite. Strapping into a harness means the dead man safety systems dont work.

There are lots of for and againsts when it comes to specific equipment, everyone has advised me to get some lessons from somewhere and try loads of stuff before buying, luckily where I am there are lots of kite schools so I will be going soon.

Bill_Benson - 21-7-2005 at 07:32 AM

Been hearing some good things about the Flysurfer Speed in other forums.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

fightingfish - 21-7-2005 at 08:31 PM

i'm rather new to traction kiting also. however, i've read much about kiting over the past months...and i started with a stable land kite to practice with.

i wouldn't recommend any new kiter go buy a flysurfer speed. those are serious kites, for a serious kiter. i believe they are called 'water-relaunchable foils', wich fits into what you looking for. however, i don't think a speed would be a good kite to learn on. try a 'trainer'-type kite to learn on. depending on your weight, go with a moderate sized land foil to learn with.

if you do want to jump right into water kiting, take a lesson. you'll see just from one lesson how complicated it actually is. at that point you might want to get a water/snow kite for starters....

at least, that's where i'm coming from.

Bill_Benson - 21-7-2005 at 09:04 PM

Yeah, I agree with Fightingfish, probably not a good kite for beginners, just putting it out there because it applied to the topic of water relaunchable foils. I believe FS makes a model called the "Rookie" for novice flyers and it comes in the smaller sizes.

surfinsmiley - 22-7-2005 at 11:07 PM

Flysurfer, Peter Lynn and Viokite are all great water relauchable foils well worth investigating.

Peter Lynns kites have an auto zenith feature which makes them really user friendly, esp. for begginers.

Viokite make a kite that is aimed squarely at the learner market, their intermediate level kite can be modified as your skills progress to provide lots more performance(lift).

Flysufers are probably like the BMW/Benz of kites, say no more.

You could also consider using an secondhand LEI for land and water, they can be picked up fairly cheap if you shop around.
They are easily destroyed if crashed into the ground to hard but so is a foil kite, so just be a little diligent and it will all be good.

Kites are addictive, you will end up buying more and possibly with a substantial collection. Something like the ozone Samurai 4m(NOT water relaunchable) is probably perfect to start learning with and then you`ll keep it and use it as part of your kite quiver as time goes on, it will always be usefull. Even if you use it for introducing your friends and family to power kiting.

Make a few choices and then post back on the forum to see what others think of your selection of "possible buys".

Have fun!

carboyfly - 4-10-2005 at 09:04 PM

i do both land an water. Foils work well on land and inflatables in water. Inflated kites are fine on land as long as you don' crash them.

I fly a shadow f-one which is a foil but made for water also. I donno if they still make this ktie but check it out

CHANNIN75 - 5-10-2005 at 02:31 PM

Well before you go and get wet.......best thing to do is get comfortable on the land with your kite.......best advice I ever got....."When you can fly with your eyes closed then your ready grasshopper"...........(Never said it was sane just great) But good luck and dont be afraid to ask for help.......

Flyin High
Shannon :alien:

speleopower - 28-3-2007 at 08:29 PM

I have been telling new kitesurfers for years not to get into big kites until you can fly backwards, upside down with your eyes closed. Because this is how you will end up the first time out trying to kitesurf if you can't fly a kite well.

Bladerunner - 29-3-2007 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newboy
is there a kit i can buy that does both land and water ?
im new to the sport and want to try both !
does it have to be 2 or 4 lines ?
and also do i only need a harness for land boarding
many thanks !:thumbup::yes:

For land ( and water ) all you need is a HELMET and a kite !!!!
Your best bet is to pick up a cheap, freindly 3m foil and learn to fly it blind, backards and upside down. It may be good to have it on a bar . You will never regret having the kite. It will be near indestructable. Once you have those skills down you will know better if you want a foil or traditional LEI. As mentioned, once you can keep a kite in the air you can look at inflatables for land. They are getting very cheap so you can pick one up and not be too upset if you wreck it. If you do you'll always have your foil !

Pablo - 29-3-2007 at 08:56 AM

Same advice I give to anyone getting into power kites, 3m, 4 line open cell foil, something friendly like a Beamer, Buster, Radsail.

Even if you're going straight for surf, the performance of these kites compared to a surf trainer is incredible, and in most cases they're still cheaper even after you add a bar.

powerzone - 4-4-2007 at 12:20 PM

www.powerzonekitesports.com

everything about kiteboarding with foil kites.