Power Kite Forum

Being ground daily

arkay - 15-5-2010 at 09:49 AM

I wasn't doing the grinding, I was being ground.

Went out flying is erratic winds yesterday. When I was setting up it was mid 20's gusting over 30 on land so I figured it would be stronger on the water. A few "heavy" ppl came in with 10's so I could go 9, 12, or v213... I should have taken the 13... but I took the 9 lei.

Was fine when I setup, but when i got to the water I had to completely power the kite to fly it. I had about 2" of throw before it would luff. Needless to say I was already setup and was going to fly. (oops) Then the gustiness came; not used to this much gust on my beach. lull of 10, ave 20, gust 30. That's really rare wind for here; the wind is usually like turning on a fan. So the 12 would have probably been too much fun to handle in the gusts. Should have taken the 13 to test it out :) I haven't flown it in over 22 yet, i'd love to feel how it handles with the gusts to 30. Though I did enjoy having a flaring kite try to pull my anchor weight down wind :wee:

So here are some pretty ovbious lessons
1) Using a kite at its max to get it to fly blows. I'd rather fly a bigger kite and depower it al the way.

2) 7-22-33 keeps you on your toes :D

3) Yeah your setup already, but take the hit and get a new kite

wind-manzo-051410.jpg - 72kB

Hardrock - 25-5-2010 at 07:58 AM

Sounds like the inland wind around here. If I get a nice 10mph day, expect crazy gust and lulls.

PHREERIDER - 25-5-2010 at 08:06 AM

back breaker for sure.

strange breeze last couple days EVERYWHERE, coast to coast seems like.

North thing with water too . usually tells me gonna be a weak breezy summer

Txshooter38 - 25-5-2010 at 06:57 PM

All we get in south central texas is gusty. If it is over 10mph it is gusty....I feel your pain.