Power Kite Forum

Think I saved $2,500 on a speed 3 ?

Bladerunner - 30-5-2010 at 04:57 PM

Well we got a shot at Rip's new 15m Speed 3 Deluxe edition.

It is a sweet kite. Flies in our typical 2 - 5 knott wind and looks BEAUTIFUL in the sky.

Then I flew it.... It does feel much lighter than my 13m Psycho 13 did but didn't seem to turn dramatically faster than the 13 did? We don't have much space but the 3 of us that tried had a heck of a time getting any decent air. The Synergy was flying and was working almost as well ?

I fail to see how it generates enough power for water in those light winds?

Just before I left the wind picked up and Rip got one of the most amazing jumps I have seen on land. One of those that you don't touch completely down then get a second lift . SAweeeeeeT !!!!!!
This is going to be a sweet floaty jumping machine once the wind breaks 5 knotts but I'm starting to accept that jumping in less wind than that is still beyond physics? Good thing because that fine machine is beyond my budget. :thumbup::thumbdown:

Is it like there is a magic minimum speed that this kite lights up? An 8m open cell FB was WAYYYYYY more powerful and offered as good of jumps in todays wind ???

arkay - 30-5-2010 at 06:38 PM

I didn't think the 15 flew in that little wind, but the sa 19...

tridude - 30-5-2010 at 07:07 PM

the 19m SA2 is awesome..............my SA2 was way better in 5mph winds than the lauded PL Reactor II............I think it was an 8.6 could have been the 10 but I was off and running in the bug while the Reactor II and pilot struggled.........................even better I paid $1275 for the SA2 in custom "red".............................but I understand and was a skeptical myself until I took the SA plunge............8 kts and the Door is all I need for a water session...............the guys at JIBE will vouch for that............................:thumbup::thumbup:

tridude - 30-5-2010 at 07:13 PM

17m SA 1.5 in 10 to 12 mph...........................vid says it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhWxscpv1Uk

Bladerunner - 30-5-2010 at 07:41 PM

It's the 10 mph thing ? My 15 Syn likes 10 mph?
Somehow I had hoped to be jumping in our near non existant wind. I'm starting to realize it just doesn't happen. It is nice to get a ride early and all but I can do that a lot cheaper with a F.B. ?
I'm looking forward to some amazing jumps with this kite with some real low winds but somehow I'm flip flopping back to my arcs.
I'm just thrilled to be able to flip flop at all !!!!!
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !
:bigok:

The Pulse and the Charger both had me giddy with delight at 1st fly. I was expecting that kind of a reaction to getting a chance at my Beloved Speeed 3 Deeeeluxe Dream. Instead it was like an awkward date with someone who costs way too much for your liking ! She doesn't respond to a spanking , the way the Chargers do! :smug:

arkay - 30-5-2010 at 09:14 PM

:moon: :bisou:

shaggs2riches - 30-5-2010 at 09:18 PM

This is a very interesting straight forward review. Ever since I started even researching kiting the thought of wielding an SA has been a dream for me. I hope that one day I have the necessary skills to pilot one to see what this low wind power is all about. Thanks for the review, glad you got the chance to try before dropping that kind of cash. Cheers!!

Shaggs
:thumbup:

tridude - 30-5-2010 at 11:17 PM

Ive read the. S3 is a bit light on the bottom end but much better on the top.................with your weight Ken/correct board Im thinking 10 mph should do it on water................on a landboard or skate def..................when I say 10mph Im upwind and jumping. Theres pics of Powerzone in the gallery on my 19 in 10 to 12 mph winds doing 10 to 15 foot table tops.................................you wont get that from a Syn or Charger................Powerzone owns a 15m SA 2 and has flown the 15m S3 so he should have the intricate details but $$$ is the LIMFAC......are sub 10 mph wind sessions worth that kind of $$$.......

Bladerunner - 31-5-2010 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
.Powerzone owns a 15m SA 2 and has flown the 15m S3 so he should have the intricate details but $$$ is the LIMFAC......are sub 10 mph wind sessions worth that kind of $$$.......

I think you hit it ! I'm starting to figure out that sub 10mph jumping just isn't worth chasing or throwing money at.:ticking:

I am sure this is going to be one heck of a kite and I expect it to light up at 10. I am just going to have to accept the fact that on those low wind days we have that I'm better off just thinking about enjoying a good earthbound ride .:no:

BeamerBob - 31-5-2010 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
the 19m SA2 is awesome..............my SA2 was way better in 5mph winds than the lauded PL Reactor II............I think it was an 8.6 could have been the 10 but I was off and running in the bug while the Reactor II and pilot struggled.........................even better I paid $1275 for the SA2 in custom "red".............................but I understand and was a skeptical myself until I took the SA plunge............8 kts and the Door is all I need for a water session...............the guys at JIBE will vouch for that............................:thumbup::thumbup:

The 8.6 Reactor II would struggle in 5 mph winds. The 10.8 would already need a strop so you could hold down the power once you start moving in the buggy. There is no mistaking it in the sky. It is cartoon big, much like a SA 19 fills the sky I imagine.

Bladerunner - 1-6-2010 at 06:15 AM

Yes ,

I think I will probably purchase a big Reactor and accept that I'll stay earthbound under 8 mph. Then fly the heck out of that speed at 8 + :cool: