Power Kite Forum

Interesting self-launch & self-land techniques

Kamikuza - 29-6-2010 at 09:44 PM

Those LEI riders are crazy! :lol:
0:24 for the launch and 2:37 for the landing ...

Hardrock - 29-6-2010 at 11:36 PM

Man that was awesome. Thanks for posting.

If he launch and land like that, I should be able to do something without help.:lol:

B-Roc - 30-6-2010 at 09:22 AM

both the launch and the landing seem like a great way to loose or damage gear.

Jovver - 30-6-2010 at 09:27 AM

Fool proof technique me thinks... :crazy: I did get a good chuckle out of that though. All I could think was wtf... especially when he threw the bar away.

stetson05 - 30-6-2010 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc

Mama probably bought his gear, or he has enough money he doesn't care. Either way I think I will try the technique any time soon.

ripsessionkites - 30-6-2010 at 10:00 PM

oddly this is common practice for solo riders, ive seen a lot of the landing first hand and it does work.

never seen that type of launching before, but it simulates what the kite would do on water.

arkay - 30-6-2010 at 11:21 PM

lol. There's a few reasonable ways to self launch an lei. I'm not sure that's one of them :) It's kinda like a drift launch, but not really. You can peg down a corner like an arc, or setup backwards walk up wind and roll launch (what I do), reverse hot launch in lower wind (starting le down), or with an sle (or super depowered lei) you can anchor the chicken loop grab the kite and launch it at the edge of the window.

stetson05 - 30-6-2010 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ripsessionkites
oddly this is common practice for solo riders, ive seen a lot of the landing first hand and it does work.

never seen that type of launching before, but it simulates what the kite would do on water.

So that kind of landing isn't really that bad?

arkay - 30-6-2010 at 11:53 PM

I've never seen anyone land like that. if you've got a 5th line people just yank it or on a green line you can pop the safty and anchor the chicken loop, or most experienced flyers just bring the kite to the edge of the window and use the landing loops to jerk the LE to be upwind. I'm sure there's videos around here somewhere :)

power - 1-7-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc

Launch seems sketchy but the landing is just like a huge overfly and the kite just hindenburgs.

Bladerunner - 1-7-2010 at 09:25 AM

I have seen the locals doing this landing method for a while now. I have seen a similar launch but it was more like a drift launch using the war.
The landing must me Do-able or cool because it is taking off.

Bladerunner - 1-7-2010 at 09:25 AM

OOPS:ninja:
double post

PHREERIDER - 1-7-2010 at 09:46 AM

drift on a tube is easy, the sand scuffs it a lot after a few and your stuff is just getting tattered sooner . a roll over solo start is less damaging and i prefer it, actually opens up at about 45 degrees and quite docile right to the edge . if you let it fall back into the wind window you get a pull but all controllable.

the over fly drop is ok if its light and you have room , i am usually too tired and too lazy to make chase. and just let it fall. it is pretty cool though when it drops LE down and stays perfectly.

an edge drop gives more control even in heavy air

they are both leashless events only ninja skills maintain your safety and disregards the safety of others. if you're at private spot why not but around others its a poor choice