Power Kite Forum

First High wind session on syn 10

borntofli - 8-7-2010 at 04:42 PM

Winds 23-27 and kind of gusty, at least for here... Gulf was rough, our local bouy is at 9 feet.....

Dive the kite and away I go.. This thing is so quick, I over steer it alot... But its good for when I have it where it shouldn't be, a little yank on the bar and no delay if moving where you want it..

Had my best runs ever... Wind was not quite straight onshore, so going south I headed out to sea a bit... Got up and over some fairly big waves, some controlled, some a flying leap.... WHAT FUN..

Still can't change directions without getting down in the water...My attempts to stay up end up in either losing power and sitting in the water or aerial flight downwind..... Keep trying...

I started out wanting big kites to go out when the waves were small, thinking it was easier..... More wind is easier, Power and speed = control... Sort of....

This is the summer of surf and wind... One tropical depression went onshore 100 miles south today and another one coming next week..

Kiters and surfers come to Corpus, IT'S ON !!!!

AD72 - 8-7-2010 at 05:15 PM

So did you use the Rip or the SX?

Kamikuza - 8-7-2010 at 05:20 PM

Sweet :thumbup: glad somebody got some wind!

I'm hoping to head down to Hamamatsu tomorrow for 2 days of what is supposed to be 20 knots all day, Sat and Sun :wee:

Dude watch this video - http://vimeo.com/12997937
Somewhere in there (0:55 I think) he gives a good first person view of a sliding turn - you can see what he's doing with the kite and the board and when in relation to each other. Turn the board hard upwind and turn the kite back the other way ... ride it out :lol:

Tried it out 2 sessions ago and now I'm doing it! Well, maybe 1 in 10 is a fail and maybe 4 in 10 is ugly, but hey :D
I got one super-sweet turn - carved around under power like a snowboard carve through powder ... I got the stoke oh yeah

borntofli - 8-7-2010 at 05:28 PM

I used the sx... The rip will be for the speed 17 and flatwater gulf....