Power Kite Forum

I can turn around...... sort of......

borntofli - 13-7-2010 at 05:37 PM

Was out today, wind blowing 25 like it has been for a week.... Gulf is the usual whitewater boiling mess.....

Glad I traded for the 10 syn, otherwise i'd be sitting on the beach watching....

My turns weren't pretty, sometimes a dead stop slog and sink sometimes a rocket the other way.... Just need to find that elusive happy medium...

But at least it's not the usual crash and retrieve the board turn...

I've heard of people kiting in flat water, whats that like ???

Little baby steps, hopefully making ground...

PHREERIDER - 13-7-2010 at 06:41 PM

super smooth and as fast as you can stand it , flat water carving and smooth kite control !, oh man , like the ditch at sulli's 28.5! tri's pics of bob

it really teaches board control, load and release for surreal phlight ! landing at speed powered ! RIGHT TO THE NEXT POP!

best part its easy on the legs and can go ultra long sessions 4-5 hours.

greater variety of boards work well in flat

learn much quicker as well (current and swell not so friendly)

AD72 - 13-7-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PHREERIDER
(current and swell not so friendly)

Tell me about it. The location I go to has a flood tide with the wind later in the day when I can get off work to kite. I have yet to go upwind to return to the same spot. It is like someone turned on the treadmill at full speed.

dylanj423 - 13-7-2010 at 08:02 PM

funny... this is the first mention of current that i have seen on this forum, and today the current was kickin my butt....

i felt like an amateur until i just stood and felt what was going on on the water... it was gushing around my legs it was so strong... and it was going the same way as the wind... no wonder i kept losing ground

.... end hijack

Kamikuza - 13-7-2010 at 08:33 PM

:thumbup:

lives2fly - 14-7-2010 at 03:52 AM

Make sure the kite is almost at its zenith before you dig your edge in then you can dive it back the other way sooner in the slide and you are less likely to sink!

I used to have a flat water spot on a coastal lake. Clean wind, smooth water, ride in ay direction... then somebody drained half the water out for some reason!! and it wasn't deep in the first place!

So now i just get chop and surf! still its good for keeping the snowboarding muscles in shape for the winter!!

PHREERIDER - 14-7-2010 at 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dylanj423
funny... this is the first mention of current that i have seen on this forum, and today the current was kickin my butt....

i felt like an amateur until i just stood and felt what was going on on the water... it was gushing around my legs it was so strong... and it was going the same way as the wind... no wonder i kept losing ground

.... end hijack

i reference current quite a bit. it is a constant element here with the tides.