Power Kite Forum

Progress report - Macboy's kiteboard efforts

macboy - 20-7-2010 at 11:15 PM

So, we've found our little salt lake to have a perfect beach/shore angle for our most common winds and because it's a salty lake there are not really many others out on the water. Hit it again this past Saturday (as a much needed reprieve from the reno gong show going on here).

The report:
The V13 was the kite du jour, winds musta been about 14-16 knots so I think I coulda used a little more kite? Still the 13 did the job and was quick enough to work up good power and keep me going.

Biggest news: The kite didn't hit the water ONCE! And let me tell you, there was PLENTY of times when it really coulda but nope - notta once! Wahoo! I must be learning something.......

Goofy (my regular stance) - almost locked on but was a little underpowered for leaning back against the kite for upwind gains. Got rippin a few times and had to learn quick how to deal with chop but I survived. Biggest issue here is coming out of the water and pointing too hard upwind right from the get-go OR pointing too much towards the kite and stealing all the wind. Kept adjusting my landmark until I got something that was working. Hopefully it comes by feel once I "get it".

Switch (for me, right foot leading) - It's developing but feels awkward still. Only able to get up out of the water, crank the kite a couple times in a desperate bid to keep above water and then drop back down. Upwind is a bit away yet to say the least.

"Bit off too much" board losing launches: 0
"Over the frontside" board losing stops: 0
"Choking on my salt water snot" moments: 2 (HATE that feeling)

Seems to me the big thing to get used to is the speed...on the snow I can just coast gently but on the water I find I need to be doing everything I'm doing with purpose....like I "mean it". After getting used to the speed, getting adjusted to riding switch will be the only other hurdle and then it's time for some air!

Almost there? I hope so but hell...I'm having all kinds of fun in the process!:wee:

All y'all fightin' the same fight as me? Keep at it - it was just what I needed last weekend and I'll definitely not give up trying.

Kamikuza - 21-7-2010 at 12:55 AM

Good stuff! It's a rush, a buzz, a drug eh ... wife is like "You're still bleeding from cuts and grazes and you're going out AGAIN!?!?" and I'm like "What blood? I feel goo-oooood!" :lol:

Your legs are your suspension - or jump over the chop :D
Due to the wind directions here, switch/goofy for me (right foot forward) is my first and longest tack ... it feels pretty natural now :D more than my natural stance!
I love my lake ... fresh water is the bomb!

Speed seems to be the key eh - with enough speed you're going upwind fine ... the problem is, to get that speed I either gotta loop the kite and go downwind too far or ride with more sail up in higher winds - which gets freaky. I'm sure it's just like skiing/snowboarding - once you're used to it, it is the goodness :yes:

PHREERIDER - 21-7-2010 at 06:11 AM

way to go ! keep at it

shaggs2riches - 22-7-2010 at 06:04 PM

Nice work man!!!!! Really need to get out and riding myself. Seems like when its a windy day,I gotta do other stuff. Kinda looking like my skills on water won't be there this season but I definitely hope to be flying by next year. I hear you on the snow issue, really feel like its easier on hard ground. Keep up the good work!!!!!:wee: