Power Kite Forum

Couple questions from a beginner

mtisuman95 - 26-7-2010 at 04:15 PM

Hey all, my names jonathan and i recently picked some gear and had some questions.

first here is what i currenty have

airush atv 5.7m
airush 9m flow
4 line bar set up w/short lines (8-9m)
extra set of 20m lines
pump
leash

the kites are in decent condition and have absolutely no leaks. i picked all this up over the weekend for $100 bux. Seemed like a good deal so i jumped on it.

i was initially looking at a trainer kite like a hq rush 300 or similar until i found what i mentioned above. I have a couple hours under my belt with a 7m i believe but its been several years. i took some lessons once and didnt have any real issues controlling that kite. My question is would it be pretty easy to get back and jump on the 5.7 with the short lines? should i still get a smaller trainer kite? The guy i purchased the kites from said i should be fine with the shorter lines because the power window is smaller, but i just want to get a second opinion before i go out and fly.

thanks yall. :wee:

Bladerunner - 26-7-2010 at 04:36 PM

I'm not familiar with the ATV but I am pretty sure the Flow is from 03 or 04?

Airush measured their kites by " projected area " back then so your 9 is more like a 12m C kite. Your 5.7 is more like a 7 ? ( my 7.3 was and 8.9 )

I would highly recommend you update the bar + kites to 5 line. There is a reason your friend HAD to sell these kites so cheap. People around here have been known to destroy them rather than pass them on thinking they are dangerous kites. I think that is extreme but you do want to be aware that kites have become more safe . You get what you pay for in this sport. Using these kites on land can be a real problem. If you live in a location with gusty conditions you may want to think twice about them?

Lots of folks flew 4 line C kites and lived. Just treat these kites with EXTRA respect and they will do the job.

Go to Ocean Rodeo's website and download the manual for their 5th line upgrade kit and then either order one or make one. The 5th line is much safer and easier to relaunch with.

You will be needing a harness.

YES - Getting a trainer kite is still a good idea. The best plan ( short of lessons ) is to get a trainer and learn to fly it blind. Get a training video and watch it then go forward + rewind . All in your mind!

mtisuman95 - 26-7-2010 at 08:34 PM

Ya the 5.7 is actually a 6.4 and the 9 is a 11.8.

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't adding a 5th line be the easiest option?

Thanks for the information! :singing: