Power Kite Forum

Waist vs seat harness

borntofli - 11-8-2010 at 05:26 PM

For water use which do you guys prefer?? Advantages for each?? I have only used a seat... Is it easier to ride toeside on a surfboard w/ a waist??

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 05:49 PM

I would guess yes, cos it seems to me they slide around ... with the seat harness & riding toe-side, it's leveraging the from the opposite side of your body and makes it hard to do ...

Got my seat cos apparently they keep the strain off the lower back. Lower tow point is supposed to make it easier to learn too ...
Cons are it rides up my bum but it's said that waist harnesses ride up into your armpits. People say seats restrict movement but for what I'm doing, I don't even notice it. Seems to put the bar further out of reach than waist harnesses though.
And seats don't look cool :rolleyes:

indigo_wolf - 11-8-2010 at 06:16 PM

Wondering if price is the only thing keeping a hybrid like the OR Session I/II off the menu?

ATB,
Sam

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 06:18 PM

Not me - I got one but don't fit it ... yet :)

arkay - 11-8-2010 at 06:39 PM

Seat harness is what I use, works great for cruising but waist moves up your center of gravity which is nicer to get good lean against

borntofli - 11-8-2010 at 06:55 PM

I'm trying to learn to gybe the surfboard, and am wondering if a waist harness would make riding toeside easier.. Free up my hips and have more flexibility?...

With a waist can you get more edge on a twintip???

I think I'll have to just get one and try it out.....

PHREERIDER - 11-8-2010 at 07:00 PM

done both ...seat is very stable stays down esp. for land stuff,, slightly confining but a marginal issue.

waist has more freedom it can slide up if your hanging out on land idle, not an issue on the water once control allows relaxed riding.

the biggest step.... your core strength for the waist has to be MUCH stronger, if its not, it will be or you'll drop it.

an issue of taste and feel has to be personally sorted out.

best of both worlds a waist that has retractable/convertable seat.

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 07:07 PM

Yeah I'd bet you could edge better with a waist on a TT ...
On my TT I've played with sliding around to toe-side then sending the kite back and carving to heelside ... but I gotta do it quick cos I #@%$#! out and slow right down before going to toe-side and so can't keep moving if I try riding for a bit :)

... aren't you supposed to have turned around on the board by the time you're on the opposite tack? I see the hooked in surfboarders riding toe-side a lot but they don't look comfy :lol:

zero gee - 11-8-2010 at 07:12 PM

I've used both types of harnesses over 20 some years. The OR Session harness is the nicest seat /waist harness that I have used. The leg straps keep the harness down but because the legstraps are suspended and not attached like the leg straps on a regular seat harness there is no restriction. I barely feel them. You can wear your boardshorts over them and it looks like a waist harness or you can remove them and you have a waist harness.

Kamikuza - 11-8-2010 at 07:22 PM

Dunno if I'd want parts of a harness under shorts ... have been spun around in/on the water a few times and felt like I nearly had my harness (and shorts!) ripped off ... could have been a low, embarrassing swim & Walk of Shame that time ...! :lol:

power - 12-8-2010 at 09:50 AM

waist

powerzone - 12-8-2010 at 08:30 PM

i used to use a waist harness till i broke a rib... now i'm on a seat harness and have no worries about the ribs..... i've recently tried the waist harness again... and didnt like it.

borntofli - 14-8-2010 at 06:01 PM

Got a waist harness and have had a couple sessions w/ it... Like Phree said it sucks standing around on the beach, but riding very comfortable...I think I have more leverage on the board w/ it..Don't think i've lost an edge once w/ it...

And no more poo stance....

Havn't tried the surfboard w/ it.. I'll still use the seat for a leisurely ride...