Power Kite Forum

Yet another SkyDog kite in my hands!

rocfighter - 7-9-2010 at 05:21 PM

I received another test kite by SkyDog kites to try. This one is a 2.8 fb foil. Looks very simular to the 4m but it's little brother.
The wind was 10-20mph or so. And we had the buggies ready. Though this kite flies very nice and pulls hard. It lacks the sustained power for my big heavy buggy. I handed it to my son with his PL STD. And off he went. It pulled him with no trouble. I flew it static because I'm a tall guy and have trouble with the PL but realy wanted to try it. It flies very smooth and is fast to respond to the handles. It was a good evening of flying. But we needed to get home and packed up. I am looking forward to a little more steady wind and I will test the 2.8 in a big way.

silvereaglekiter - 7-9-2010 at 05:38 PM

I am trying to get a sky dog rep to wildwood this fall. I flew the 4.0 at jockys ridge this summer and really want'a get try one on a buggy. We were pulling 30+foot skuds with it on the dunes.

rocfighter - 8-9-2010 at 03:25 AM

I am friends with the owners. I will see what I can pull off. I flew the 4.0 yeasterday. Great stable puller and it absorbs a lot of gusts. Tighten up the breaks a bit and it pulls like a truck even in low winds. Had my big heavy buggy on 2 wheels a couple times yeasterday. with 10-20 winds, mostly 10!

BigMikesKites - 8-9-2010 at 05:08 PM

I just started carrying skydog kites. I love them. In my opinion, the Foils are nice beginner kites not really designed to be a buggy kite or anything, but they really fly nice.

The same goes for their 2 line stunt kites. All of them fly incredibly smooth.

JohnCostillo - 17-5-2011 at 12:14 PM

I am using skydog kites only in certain places. I agree with Akulakat, that foils are good only for newbies nonetheless, it flies well...

cpamieta - 23-5-2011 at 12:20 PM

hey rocfighter did you test the skydog sdt 4.0m? Thinking of getting it for landboarding, but can't really find much info on it.

rocfighter - 28-5-2011 at 05:41 PM

cpameita- I have the 2.8, 4.0, 5.5, They all fly well and pull hard. It was said erlier that they are not a buggy engine. But I use them to pull the Rat buggy often.
If you want to landboard I am not sure this is the kite. They do not lift. and will not help you jump with the board. If you want to be pulled hard you'll be in luck.

cpamieta - 29-5-2011 at 04:03 PM

o lol to late already bought it. Well no big deal, I want a kite to practice with. I got a 11 meter bow kite, but to scared to use it by my self lol, and such a #@%$#! to pump it.

thekitelounge - 24-6-2011 at 03:28 PM

The Skydog SDT series foils are entry level kites with surprising power.
Experience with 2.8sdt - Trainer for static, boarding and buggying. Like rocfighter says "Great stable puller and it absorbs a lot of gusts." Flys at edge of window when buggying. In heavy winds seen people static jump that are between 150 to 220lbs. Landboarding with the sdt 2.8 works great for new boarders learning as it will give you some time to correct mistakes made. Many have been trained and progressed easily to more advanced kites from this one.

Experience with 5.5sdt - Little bit slower on turning in lighter winds. In higher winds such as 12 to 20mph need more body strength to turn but a good adrenaline rush. Able to board and get some jumps in with the 5.5 and is stable when you are in the air. I weigh in at about 240 so if this thing can lift me can only imagine a lighter boarder. So far 5.5 has been used just for cruising around in a buggy on light wind days nothing serious. Due to the lower aspect it is a slower kite but with good power to keep you going.

Just my personal experiences and gathered information from people who have flown these two kites.