Power Kite Forum

Is this a good kite for a beginner kiteboarder?

houstonwarren2 - 23-10-2010 at 10:31 AM

Newbite to boarding here. I'm an old-school skateboarder, skurfer and snowboarder; however, I have a good feeling that those old hobbies have very little to do with my ability to kiteboard. I've watched a bunch of videos on the sport and read too many posts to account for but when it all comes down to it, I am just trying to decide if the following kite would work (not be perfect...but work) for me to learn on. I plan on taking lessons and using a practice kite to learn how to fly it but wanted to snap up a good deal on one that was offered to me through Craigslist in trade for my mountain bike. The setup in question is:

11m Slingshot Rev2 Kite & Amp plus Raptor Pro Kiteboard

It is supposidly in premium condition and has very little use. Assuming that that is correct, is this too much kite for the average person to handle after a proper intro to the sport?

I'm 40 now and don't want to bust my...well...anything if I can get away with it :singing: if I don't have to but I don't feel like buying an arsenal of kites to start off with since the price on this one is right (free by swap). I looked it up online and it appears to be a 2009 setup?

Thanks in advance for any help. I read the forum rules and feel that this should be the right place for this question since many of you have been through this before.

bluefunelement - 23-10-2010 at 11:02 AM

11m us good size for your avg size person - SS Rev2's are good kites but it;s best to have an experienced kiteboarder ask some questions of the seller or buy from someone you know and trust.

Lessons are the most important thing next to common sense and caution to keep you from getting your butt handed to you.

manitoulinkiter1 - 23-10-2010 at 01:35 PM

Hi

An 11 meter Slingshot Rev2 is an awesome kitesurfing kite.
It is 2009.
They are super stable, you can learn on it and will not likely outgrow it.
Slingshot kites are as well built as any inflatable out there.
Depending on your size the wind range should be form about 13 -15 mph to 22-25. I wouldn't use it at the high end of the wind range until you have some experience though.
The Raptor Pro is a pretty good board, I've never used it but the reviews were good. The size of the board is fairly important. You don't want one to small to learn with, again the size will depend on your weight and the amount of wind your learning in.
I have no idea what an Amp is. Maybe you meant pump?
I agree with bluefunelelement you should get lessons, but if the price is right you probably won't regret the kite or board.

Hope that helps
John

Taper123 - 24-10-2010 at 12:32 PM

One local company gives lessons at the Texas City Levee. Great place to learn to ride as it's usually fairly flat water. Lessons speed up the learning curve and emphasize safety. Kites are fun, but they can hurt ya :P

Bladerunner - 24-10-2010 at 01:11 PM

Sounds like a good package to grow in to . As you appretiate, you need to take a few important steps to prepair yourself .

Lessons are without a doubt the way to go but getting a good trainer kite and learning to fly it without even looking at it , 1 handed will set you up to speed through the lessons. Even practicing your 1st body drags with it before lessons if you can.

HQ has a great trainer for folks who want to play on the water called the Hydra. It would be the kite I would suggest you get to train for your Slingshot.

Taper123 - 24-10-2010 at 01:25 PM

If your in the Houston area... come check out the rest of the kite spectrum at Dead Bird. It's a month a way, and everything from kiteboarders, buggiers, blokarters, single line, stunt, revs... if it flies, someone there will have it or be flying it.