Power Kite Forum

Novice kitesurf board size?

gabe - 12-12-2010 at 09:19 AM

What size of surfboard I should get to star learning kitesurfing?

I am 150 lbs, riding a 150 TwinTip, with 8.5m Bomba, 12m Synergy, and rarerly 19m Synergy.
Any advice?
Thanks
Gabe

tridude - 12-12-2010 at 11:51 AM

5'8 to 6 foot fish.................this will give you a bit more bottom end but loose ride, great ride strapless in flat and smaller waves

6' to 6'2 thruster.................harder rail for responsive/fast turns.........awesome if you have a regular dose of head/overhead conditions

ripsessionkites - 13-12-2010 at 10:40 AM

gabe, where you planning to kitesurf? squamish? van island?

my vote gets a FS Radial M or L.

if it gets warmer soon, i can try out the Blunt II sooner than later.

bluefunelement - 13-12-2010 at 11:15 AM

what type of riding and conditions do you expect?

gabe - 13-12-2010 at 12:39 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking to use it on Columbia Beach, Boundary Bay, Spanish Banks, Ambelside in high winds /maybe @ Nitninath/ from anywhere 3 feet to 8 feet waves, not so much at Squamish, and in Europe on a Lake with swells up to 6 feet. Maybe Southern France in the summer, Perpignan area 6 feet, or Biaritz lots of feet...and I keep on dreaming.
I see it is not only the size /just like my wife says/ what matters but the shape and a lot more...
Cheers

tridude - 13-12-2010 at 12:56 PM

Gabe I just assumed you were talking about a surfboard..................great repost but Im just one good comment away from a ban so Ill refrain with my sidebar comment...........:lol::lol::duh:

In the conditions you spoke of Im thinking thruster over fish BUT find a nice flat, shallow area and learn to ride strapless before you take on big swells......................