Power Kite Forum

invention

Houston AirHead - 27-1-2011 at 03:49 PM

I’ve got plans for a gizmo that would take the strapless kiteboarding community by storm; I’m just not sure where I should start inquiring about who would want orders. I think I may need to make a trip to the patenting office first.

erratic winds - 27-1-2011 at 04:26 PM

Google has a patent search as well, you may not need to leave the house :eureka:

Best of luck. I know a guy who patented an idea, it's taken him all over the world, and now it's sold off and he's onto the next idea. The invention dream is still alive and well in the world!

stetson05 - 27-1-2011 at 06:09 PM

you don't really need an approved patent. I am pretty sure you just need to apply for a patent and that I hear is pretty simple. If the idea takes off you proceed with the patent process like you always intended

arkay - 27-1-2011 at 07:13 PM

If you are serious about the invention then I would be careful about doing searches your self if your invention has not been properly disclosded or filed. I'd talk to an ip lawyer that can help you file if you've never done this before. He'll also help to you to determine where your invention should be disclosed and what the rules are. For example if you post it on here (aka the public), then you are pretty much screwed from getting a pattent int he EU.

Houston AirHead - 27-1-2011 at 09:24 PM

:thumbup:
I think I have heard that as well, (apply for patent), then proceed. I’m going to make the device myself first,
2. test and revise,
3. apply for patent,
4. then start looking for promoters.

If anyone here on PKF is as enthusiastic about strapless riding as I am I would be willing to discuss my idea over email or u2u.

I’ll say this much, although I haven’t tested the idea, I know for a fact my device will end up in everyone’s kite bag, or permanently with them when strapless riding.
I’m going to the hardware store this weekend to make the first prototype for my next skim-session.

I won’t be able to reveal my idea unfortunately, until I have started distributing the initial promotional models. It will be worth the wait though. Wish me luck! Oh, I will offer discounts to all PKF members!
:bouncy:

* i hate that feeling you get when you start talking about your ideas. The feeling in your gut that tells you," you better hurry before someone thinks of it".

the worst is, when you see your idea on t.v. or in a magazine.

dylanj423 - 28-1-2011 at 06:24 AM

when i was 10 or so i talked to my mom about how we should put tvs in the back of car seats!

Houston AirHead - 28-1-2011 at 07:01 AM

lol, I HATE THAT FEELING! ^^^

van - 28-1-2011 at 08:32 AM

haha... you know those little fans that you get for the beach that hangs around your neck?? I made one in second grade ( 1979) out of a little electric motor, 2 C cell battery and a paper propeller so it wouldn't hurt you!! My mom thought I was crazy!!! It got taken up in class by the teacher and never returned :lol: I could have been a rich kid if I knew how to mass produce them.

Houston AirHead - 28-1-2011 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by erratic winds
The invention dream is still alive and well in the world!

Ah-men

The "American/invention dream" is what is going to bring this great country out from it's current political "funk" :thumbup:

XdisasterXdrewX - 28-1-2011 at 01:24 PM

When my dad was a kid (probably like 1970's) he made this thing that was tape wrapped around a stick and a man walked up to him and asked him if he could patent it. My dad, being only 12 years old, told the man that he could.
You may know of it as a chinese yo-yo.
Haha I could be rich right now off of a little festival toy.

http://www.xump.com/Images/Products/FlingZingChineseYoYo-300...

geokite - 28-1-2011 at 01:53 PM

Better hurry up Houston, those with ESP are trying to figure out your invention! Quick!

jk...

indigo_wolf - 28-1-2011 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dylanj423
when i was 10 or so i talked to my mom about how we should put tvs in the back of car seats!

The year was 1984-85... graphics were still done in green on a Tektronix or a monochrome Mac. I don't even recall what we were scanning on. Somewhere, there is still hard copies of a computer generated diagram of something frighteningly similar to this based on a Yamaha XS400RJ.... complete with strain-gauges and tilt sensors. Life was interesting when it seemed that horizons were open and endless.

ATB,
Sam

treblehook - 28-1-2011 at 04:51 PM

Velcro shoe bottoms ??????:puzzled:

erratic winds - 28-1-2011 at 05:36 PM

11-year-old me's idea = cardboard periscope+low magnification to have a better view when in a crowd, was inspired by the pope being in town.

18 year old me finds out you can buy a "pope scope". :megan:

geokite - 28-1-2011 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by treblehook
Velcro shoe bottoms ??????:puzzled:

Bought that sort of thing for use on a skim board (on the shoreline, no kite). Worked ok, but didn't allow for very much movement of feet; you had one jump onto the board, one chance to get your feet right.

Still have some of the velcro, really strong stuff.

Houston AirHead - 28-1-2011 at 06:07 PM

i think they already have a velcro shoe to board combo doodad thing for sale.:frog:

Flying G Zeus - 26-2-2011 at 08:51 PM

Strapless surfboard rider. To discuss further send me a PM. Happy to discuss.

BTW, have 12 yrs. experience owning a manufacturing business (not kite related). Lots of experience as a builder/ feasibility analyst/ etc.