Power Kite Forum

plywood board

kitesurfer - 2-2-2011 at 08:42 AM

I just did a search on plywood and got NOTHING. the plywood door discussion has sprung up again over on the ARC's forum. I've been searching for a BIG DOOR on all the used places and no doors out there it seems. so i'll build a BIG DOOR in case my sling shot Glide is not big enough with my sa19 for our light summer sea breaze. any supporters?

markite - 2-2-2011 at 08:59 AM

okay, not supposed to point to other forums, but there is a kiteforum that has a list of categories on the sidebars and one heading is board builders - lot's of info there.

I'm sure Blake will chime in here at some point or send him a U2U - he builds a door out of plywood and will share some of what he has learned - main thing keep it simple.

Houston AirHead - 2-2-2011 at 09:13 AM

if you can, find a nice BIG piece of pine. light, strong, cheap but make sure the grain is running the long way

WELDNGOD - 2-2-2011 at 09:36 AM

http://kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm I came up w/ this

truman - 2-2-2011 at 09:49 AM

If someone from my area has som CAD skills I have a cnc gantry router with a cutting area of 2' X 4' be something to play around with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qLsRZkLewo

WELDNGOD - 2-2-2011 at 11:08 AM

aluminum buggy parts!

van - 2-2-2011 at 11:30 AM

WG,

what you got in mind? draw it up and send it my way. My CNC can handle aluminum with no problems. (sorry about hijack)

markite - 2-2-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
If someone from my area has som CAD skills I have a cnc gantry router with a cutting area of 2' X 4' be something to play around with

nice! are you heading to the lake Simcoe event out of Keswick in a few weeks? Man, Jim will want to talk to you (Jellyfish boards). Do you know Tim down in Ajax with his nice workshop for buggy building? - sorry hi-jack on the thread,
send me a U2U

macboy - 2-2-2011 at 03:27 PM

Look for Plyboards on instructables.com - that's where I got my info.

tridude - 2-2-2011 at 04:12 PM

I have a 154cm plydoor here at the inflatorosa......................

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

Plywood boards

Blake - 2-2-2011 at 04:55 PM

Hi Guys

Here are a few shots of my plwood Doors that I make for friends.

All I can say is...keep it simple and elegant!

Blake

IMG_0687_1.JPG - 138kB

Plywood Doors

Blake - 2-2-2011 at 04:56 PM

Another shot.

IMG_0671.JPG - 126kB

Kamikuza - 2-2-2011 at 05:51 PM

There's a thread up at arcusers.net now on this topic ... Traig from MonkeyAir.com likes to go travelling with a kite and set of pads then hit the hardware store and knock up board on location :lol:
Apparently they work fine, but are heavy.

shaggs2riches - 2-2-2011 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
Hi Guys

Here are a few shots of my plwood Doors that I make for friends.

All I can say is...keep it simple and elegant!

Blake

those look decent. what type and thickness of wood is used? I'm having no luck getting my metal plate for an ice board, but wood is cheap enough to acquire. Is there any concave or camber in them (rocker???) or are they completely flat on the bottom???

macboy - 2-2-2011 at 09:49 PM

Blake can give you more info but IIRC they say there is enough flex in the wood to not need any rocker. I laminated my plyboards but the one with the rocker - not worth it for the effort it took. Get a sheet of 1/2-5/8" (?) and go to town. Marine ply helps :lol:

shaggs2riches - 2-2-2011 at 09:53 PM

would plexi-glass work to make one???? Got a board but this seems fun...especially if the end product works

stetson05 - 2-2-2011 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shaggs2riches
would plexi-glass work to make one???? Got a board but this seems fun...especially if the end product works

I saw a video of a plexi-glass board not to long ago. seems like they were trying in in Europe somewhere

Kamikuza - 2-2-2011 at 11:51 PM

I remember there were assorted problems associated with plexiglass ... it wasn't as easy as just buying some and cutting to shape ... IIRC there was a weight issue. And I don't mean me ;)

The whole idea of a door is a big flat board, especially for light wind. Doing the "3D" edge contours gives additional flex for handling chop - you can see it working in my videos on the Flydoor ...

And they say, once you go ghetto - you never go back :lol:

truman - 3-2-2011 at 04:03 AM

an idea for the pads would be the foam they use for those kids puzzle matts stepped on one the other day and thought hmmm?

Kamikuza - 3-2-2011 at 06:06 AM

Just keep breaking your Doors like I do - I got a spare set :lol:

tridude - 3-2-2011 at 06:41 AM

cargo straps, 4 bolts and hardware, surf wax.......................done

Doors - CAD DXF file

mdpminc - 3-2-2011 at 11:04 AM

I created a DWG/DXF file of the door shapes shown in the attached picture.
DWG/DXF can be used for CNC programming to router the shape required.
http://rapidshare.com/files/446007206/doors.rar

If you require a different math data format u2u me.
Cheers

MyDoors.jpg - 93kB

macboy - 3-2-2011 at 12:15 PM

I used the same foam you mention - worked just fine. I also have a couple lightwave footstraps (new) in the garage. Fins too. U2U me - I'll make you an offer you can't refuse ; )

van - 3-2-2011 at 02:15 PM

thanks for the DXF file. I'll load this into Mach3 and see if the GCODE is usable. I need a better software package to convert DXF to GCODE for my CNC. The wizard in that app always does a poor conversion. Thought about getting MasterCam but the price is ridiculous.

Blake - 3-2-2011 at 03:30 PM

Shaggs

U2U me and I'll fill you in on the construction.

I will tell you guys that using one piece of thicker wood ends up being way too heavy! My boards come out at the exact same weight as a real "Door", every time. That's why I use two thin layers of plywood in my boards. I tried the router trick by cutting away the upper, outer material near the edges, still turned out heavier!

Yes, there is rocker in them, very little but it is there.

These are vacuum bagged on a rocker table and are covered on the top with a very light veil cloth, and the bottom has a heavy layer of a tri-axial cloth, all bonded with West System resin, works great!

Blake

IMG_0667_1.JPG - 143kB

van - 3-2-2011 at 05:56 PM

Those boards look simple but stylish.

Blake - 4-2-2011 at 10:41 AM

Hi Guys

To all the guys that U2U'd me, give me a day or two as I'm flat on my back with the worst cold I've ever had!

Blake

markite - 4-2-2011 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
I'm flat on my back with the worst cold I've ever had!

that'll teach you stand around out on a frozen lake for a whole weekend - crazy kite people!

Blake - 5-2-2011 at 03:39 PM

Thanks Mark!

I have now replied to all the folks who U2U'd me.
If any of you have questions regarding the construction or materials I use in my boards feel free to contact me.

Blake
(feeling better)