Power Kite Forum

Zebra Slope 4 qm mini-review

herc - 13-3-2011 at 11:22 AM

Today, i was able to test a (libre) zebra slope depower opencell kite.
for those who do not know, zebra kites are inexpensive but nonetheless high quality kites. inexpensive, because they have no complicated design that needs hundreds of ripstop panels to be sewn together. in fact they have just two differently coloured fabrics for each cell, hence the name zebra. bad thing is, that this design reminds about all those CHEAP and crappy entry level kites and alos about early day paragliders (that are also crappy compared to today's paragliders!)

but dont let yourself be fooled by the design! those zebra kites are amazing!

i could not believe the amount of depower this zebra slope has. because it has just one pulley for depower. but this pulley is moving not only the C-row, but the C+B rows are cascaded together and go to the pulley. so the AoA adjustment works very nice!
the 12sqm zebra has two pulleys per side, so the depower effect should be even better.

the 4 sqm zebra slope does turn fast, too (no wonder because it is so small...)

the slope did not show any tendency to overfly, it was rocksolid at the zenit. it was also very lightwind stable. the wind dropped occasionally, but the zebra was very unimpressed and was sitting at the zenith with no problems. so things look promising for the 12sqm slope beeing a very very good lightwind kite, almost on par with big buggy kites like PL reactor or similiar kites.

image from the web (http://www.vliegersenco.nl)

p.s. anyone knows if all single-pulley depower kites actuate the B+C row together ? or is this a new trick?

herc - 13-3-2011 at 11:35 AM

another picture from www.zebrakites.com

Bladerunner - 13-3-2011 at 07:38 PM

HMMMMMM

I was attracted to the Zebra from the 1st time I saw one. I'm not a racekite fan so passed on some good deals used.
NOW we are talking my kind of kite ! I will be very interested in your opinion of the 12m . Do you have one to try?

Might have to get Ripsession to bring one in ???

ripsessionkites - 14-3-2011 at 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
HMMMMMM

I was attracted to the Zebra from the 1st time I saw one. I'm not a racekite fan so passed on some good deals used.
NOW we are talking my kind of kite ! I will be very interested in your opinion of the 12m . Do you have one to try?

possible for the spring / summer season

pick your size, 12.5 is the biggest

www.zebrakites.com

herc - 14-3-2011 at 02:42 AM

sadly , there was just the 4 sqm zebra slope to test.
i am very keen on testing the 12 sqm slope! it might be a real lightwind machine! the slopes use lightweight 40g/sqm fabric. the slope is somehow like a buggy kite with added depower. so all lightwind parameters preserved, with added depower bridle.

please note, that the 12 sqm has a double pulley depower system, while the smaller sizes have a single pulley per side.
so in theory the 12sqm is on par with the established brands like ozone frenzy or hq montana.
if i buy a slope, it will be the 12 sqm, because i live in inland conditions with wind dropouts and gusts. perfect terrain for a depower kite that will stay up also in lulls, and will not rip you off your feet in gusts.

Bladerunner - 14-3-2011 at 06:46 AM

WOOP WOOP !

I'll have to be nice to Kite Mamma !

12.5 sounds good for the winds we got last year 0.5 bft ! :wee:

Quote:
Originally posted by ripsessionkites
Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
HMMMMMM

possible for the spring / summer season

pick your size, 12.5 is the biggest

www.zebrakites.com

herc - 29-1-2012 at 08:22 AM

finally, there is a video showing the potential of the zebra slope:

http://vimeo.com/35450735

(later in the video around 1:00 min the jump potential of the slope is nicely shown)
now i am even more tempted to buy the cheapest, jet very good depower kite available..