Power Kite Forum

Converting from Land/Snow to water

p8ntballsk8r - 21-3-2011 at 07:26 AM

I've been Snowkiting and ATB landboarding for just over a year on a 12m Frenzy. Now I'm selling that off and getting an 06 Slingshot Octane so that I can focus on water (and bigger tricks with less pain for failure!) for a bit.

I'm looking for recommendations on gear to buy. Most likely, I'll be going with used stuff just because I'm a broke college kid. I think that all I need is a wet suit that is buoyant and a kiteboard.

Since I'm more of the freestlye / big air and big tricks rider, about what size and style board would I want? I'm 6ft, 170 lbs if that matters and I'll be riding mostly the 12m Octane and maybe a 9m if it's really windy.

As for the wetsuit, what should I look for? Definitely new to this market.

What should both of these things end up costing me on the lower end of the market? I've been able to get away with old/used gear in the past without any problems. (My snowboard was bought 2nd hand and I've ridden on it for over 6 years, and my ATB land board is an old ambush warrior. My frenzy was an '05.) I'm very able to adapt to situations that are less than ideal and I'm quick to pick up new things.

Finally, I don't see any videos of people wearing a helmet on water. Are they not needed? Do you ever take hard enough falls into the water and smack your skull where you wish you were wearing a helmet? I've got a lot of valuable stuff rattling around up there and a Medical to keep for my career.

erratic winds - 21-3-2011 at 07:42 AM

Re: Helmets on water. They are a very good idea, and several companies make a water-spec helmet now. On my first day ever, a lesson on kitebeach@maui, there was a guy who tanked off a trick attempt and didn't move after. Other kiters rescued him to shore and he was resuscitated. EMT's showed up soon after. Apparently he hit the water hard enough to get knocked out, and then started drowning. Only the other kiters who got him to shore saved his life.

:dunno: merely my scary story. I always wear my helmet flying any kite. You used to never see helmets on snowboarders/skiers, now it's approaching the norm. Water sports will probably catch up too.

ragden - 21-3-2011 at 08:06 AM

Definitely get a helmet.

Boards are a rather personal thing, but I'm sure you'll find something that suits you. I have an 07 Spleene Rip 134 that I may be parting with soon, if you are interested. Will probably post it on the forums sometime in the near future. Need to order my next board first though.
:)

I would recommend getting out there and trying different boards before you settle on something. You will probably end up wanting to get two boards. A light-wind board, and a stronger wind board...

As for wetsuits, you will need to try them on and see what is comfortable. I am still using a wetsuit I bought in California some 6 yrs ago for body boarding. Works great. Not as windproof as some of the newer suits, but it keeps me warm.

tridude - 21-3-2011 at 01:10 PM

Whats your weight? The reason I ask is this series Octane fly about 1 meter small than its actual size. Keep in mind this is a c-kite, are you ready?

p8ntballsk8r - 3-4-2011 at 09:35 PM

#@%$#! so I'm going to be underpowered if I'm used to a 12m frenzy on snow?

slothart - 3-4-2011 at 09:42 PM

What water temp will you be boarding in?
That will indicate how thick and how much coverage you will need in a wetsuit.

carltb - 4-4-2011 at 02:01 AM

a good board size to start with is a 140x40 as getting up and plaining isnt as easy as land and snow.
as for wetsuit, it all depends on how cold it is, i use a 3,4,5mm suit allyear round but during the winter i add hood gloves and boots.
a helmet is optional but only you can put a price on whats inside and whether its worth keeping!!
the last thing, under no circumstances use a board leash. learn to body drag

Bladerunner - 4-4-2011 at 10:18 AM

YES, you will be drastically underpowered on a 6m !!!!!!

Good news , it will work for learning to body drag. Like Carl points out it is essential to learn to upwind body drag + self rescue BEFORE going out ! This kite will work for learning that but will sit waiting for 20mph ++ winds later.

Go to www.kitesurfingschool.org for lots of good info.

The majority of folks wear helmets around here. Photos can be misleading. It isn't all airtime. You are just seeing the " money shots" .

p8ntballsk8r - 4-4-2011 at 10:46 AM

looks like the temp will fluctuate between 39 and 61 depending on the season

slothart - 4-4-2011 at 06:41 PM

My experience with wetsuits comes from scuba, so you may be able to go slightly thinner then the recommended thickness since you won't be spending all your time in the water, but I agree with the explanation and chart this site provides:

http://www.wetsuitmegastore.com/wetsuit/6-wetsuit-temperatur...

My preferred suit is a 3/2 (3mm on the core and 2mm on the limbs for flexibility)... It is a comfortable thickness that doesn't feel restrictive. I've done a handful of cold water dives in a full 5mm suit and I find that thickness uncomfortable enough to choose to wait for warmer water.

Kamikuza - 4-4-2011 at 06:51 PM

I bought me a Hyperflex Access wetsuit this year ... http://goo.gl/XzYLK ... I'm out in say, 5 to 10°C and am not dying :lol: bit of me get uncomfortable but it's bearable for sure!