Power Kite Forum

1st board - OR Mako King?

bigben91682 - 24-3-2011 at 10:12 AM

I'm starting to think about picking up my first board to learn on this summer (another first board thread???). I'm a big fellah, 6'4" 260# so in looking at big boards. I'm contemplating picking up a door of some sort but I'm also thinking about the mako king (165x45). I've read a lot of good things about it.

I like the versatility of it, as ultimately I see myself on a directional surfboard, but I want to learn on a TT. It's high flotation and size (in TT mode) seem to lend as a good beginner board that I could ultimately convert to a directional. Also sounds like an upwind machine which I'm sure I'd appreciate in the beginning.

I should mention that I'm not really interested in boosting, just smooth cruiser that I could eventually take into the waves - or use as a gateway to a true directional.

So, does anybody have time on a mako king? Is it a good starter?

wind-dave - 24-3-2011 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like a Mako King would be perfect for what you want. I have a buddy about the same size and he loves the King.

It will do just what you want, learn on it as a bi-directional, change the fins to the directional position and have a blast.

A lot of people ride larger flat boards (doors) around here in the inland gusty stuff. Most of the guys on the King say it's a lot more loose and carvey but still perfect in the fluky winds here.

Hope this helps.
Dave

markite - 24-3-2011 at 02:20 PM

I have a King and a 140 Wide. The King is a great riding board, it is a bit on the heavy side and will not get quite the same very bottom end as a door but far more versatile than a door. I ride my set up in mutant mode and it still rides upwind great using as a TT even in mutant fin configuration. In the mutant mode it rides more like a directional but the concave does make it edge great. A lot depends on your wind conditions - if you want to scratch the very bottom of the wind barrel for getting out then a door will get you a couple of mph lighter start - you'll still need a bit more wind at 260 lbs to get up riding. The King is a super smooth riding board and you do have the option to go strapless.
A buddy of mine that weighs about 240 will grab my board to start riding when I'm busy using my surfboard at the lightest wind.

bigben91682 - 24-3-2011 at 02:26 PM

I'm not looking at it as a low wind board as much as wanting a wide range board that can still go in lower winds. I'm hoping for a one board quiver that will last me while I learn and progress....I'm not expecting the bottom end of a big door, but I am expecting a better top end....which it sounds like the king do much better in higher wind and more chop.

Markite, wanna sell yours?? :)

markite - 24-3-2011 at 03:11 PM

hmm I could... I'm a dealer for Ocean Rodeo as well as Peter Lynn, I could just replace my own - I'll shoot you a U2U.

arkay - 24-3-2011 at 05:57 PM

great board!