Power Kite Forum

HQ Beamer V- 5Metre Update

z3ddie - 24-3-2011 at 11:01 PM

Well having had it out for an hour on the day of purchase with the supplied 20m dyneema lines, yesterday I pushed it out and swapped the lines for lighter 25m lines and boy what a difference!
I spent a good hour tuning the lines - they were the old ones off my 4meter Beamer so were well stretched but still took quite a bit of adjustment.
Wind was good and steady, probably around 8 to 10 mph and all I can say is what a buzz this kite is.
HQ say they have made refinements over the version 4 and I can certainly vouch for that.
The handling in the turns is fantastic fun, with enough ooomph in it to break a decent sweat.
I didn't try any jumps as I am still getting used to the power of this thing, the step up from a 4m to a 5m is quite high and you can really feel the difference in the power even in light winds but got a decent bit of scudding in and felt totally in control of it.
I love everything about this but if you are going to purchase one I really do suggest you ditch the 20m lines and get some good quality but lighter lines as the difference in performance is amazing. I even mailed the kiteshop I use and suggested this, in fact when I bought it the guy in the shop was very surprised that it came with 20's and not 25's. Will try again to get some video of it - major fail on my behalf, didn't check the battery on the camcorder - Doh!

The overall packaging is nice - decent rucksack, redesigned without the big zip and the new handbood is really nicely laid out with good illustrations for starters to the sport and as usual a qood quality ground spike with a big bright dayglo head so you can't loose it in a field or snow.

It's gonna be a good summer :singing:

PistolPete - 9-4-2011 at 09:48 PM

Thanks for the review, please post any updates you have as I am interested in getting a 4m or 5m Beamer V... Are you using it for a buggy and/or landboarding? I put 15m extension lines on a 3m Beamer IV and noticed (1) cleaner wind, (2) a longer sweep thru the power zone, (3) but more line drag (4) more flying room/area needed as (5) it turns just as quick but takes longer to complete a bigger sine wave.. . Line extensions are fine on big kites I have tried them on but are really noticeable (drag/droop) on small kites. Thinking of going for a 4m, and if I need even more grunt then a get a 5m too. I got an old used Samuari2 4m but gave up on it as I think the 3m Beamer IV has such better/smooth control that it makes up for the bigger burst power the 4m Samuari2. Also wondering if I should step it up to the Ozone Method 4m? Don't really want a narrow high aspect ratio Yakuza or Crossfire. The Method runs $500 for a 4m Kite Only, not convinced it is worth that when I can get Beamer IV 4m for $300 or a Beamer V 4m for $325 with Lines and Handles ? Welcome your opinion :roll:

z3ddie - 10-4-2011 at 01:01 AM

Hi Pete - thanks for your posting.
I flew a 4m Beamer for a year before upgrading, I loved it and flew it on 25m lines so when the new V5 version came out I took the chance to upgrade, like I said putting it on the supplied 20m lines was a bit of dull experience but the difference in the kite with lighter 25m lines is awsome. Great control and lift on it, it has been redesigned quite a bit from the V4 and looks awfully pretty I have to admit.
I don't fly with boards or buggies, I just enjoy the thrill of flying it and my other kites feet firmly down (only at times mind you) But the guys in the kite shop told me they have tried it on a boad and it is a blast, like me they also extended the lines.
You are certainly correct about the cleaner wind, it was quite gusty here yesteday and dropped it back to the 20m lines but that only lasted about 10minutes. It just doesnt feel right on shorter lines, but then again I am a bit of masochist for being dragged around the park.
Now I am getting more confident with it I am getting some serious air time as well. My flying friend hasn't been around for a while but hope to get some video footage on here when we get together.

PistolPete - 10-4-2011 at 09:14 AM

Thanks for the quick post! Convinced me to go for the Version-V and make some 25m and 30m lines up. I have found short extension lines work fine but the long extension lines put the joining knots too close to the middle. When you loop the kite the line wrap is near the middle of the lines too...causing tangles. Encourage you to demo a buggy if you get a chance. The board took me longer to learn (get pads for everything-Helmet, Hockey Shoulder Pads, Elbow Pads, Hockey Hip Girdle, Knee Pads, Gloves, and High Top Boots for ankle support) + learn to longboard/skateboard first :spin: Looking forward to the video and enjoy your new kite :thumbup: