Power Kite Forum

New to the sport - Need advice

roque - 14-4-2011 at 07:24 AM

Hello!

I am new to Kitting and I am looking for information to help me get what I need in order to start right without breaking my neck.

I joined this community yesterday and I am really glad to see all the help and advice you guys are giving to fellows like me. Thank you!

I weight 130 lbs and am interested in kite boarding in the water only.
I would like to get a decent relaunchable kite that can get me through the process of learning and acquiring the first skills and be able to get me in the water as well.

Since I'm in Minnesota, I will be Kite boarding in lakes pretty much. The wind here blows constantly and sometimes more than anybody could wish for.
Also, what about boards? (Fins, sizes, etc...)

Thank you in advance for your help,

Roque

Seanny - 14-4-2011 at 07:28 AM

Wow! Is it me, or is there a sudden explosion of people wanting to get into this? It's a great thing to see :)

Welcome to the forum lad! Any four line foil kite from quality brands like Peter Lynn, Ozone, Flexifoil, Slingshot, Best, Cabrinha (I think they have a foil kite trainer?) between 2 and 5 meters will work great :thumbup: shop around to find the best deals. The only thing I'd say you might want to avoid is a Pansh Ace or Flexifoil Blade... all others are fair game.

indigo_wolf - 14-4-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seanny
Wow! Is it me, or is there a sudden explosion of people wanting to get into this? It's a great thing to see

Spring fever..... new fliers and quiver shuffling.

One of the few kites that's a water relaunchable trainer is the HQ Hydra.

It won't get you on a board, except in higher winds (proceed with caution), but is suitable for basic kite skills and body dragging in the water.

If you don't have any previous experience at all, and the water is your only goal in the end, your money might be better spent on lessons. Among other things, it will give you a chance to try out some equipment before purchasing your own.

Local Minnesota kiting spots can be found here:
http://localkitespots.com/kitesurfing/Minnesota

These spots are also where you will find some of the kitesurfing schools operating out of.

ATB,
Sam

macboy - 14-4-2011 at 12:51 PM

If you haven't got much water background (wakeboarding/water skiing/basic swimming skills) then DEF look into lessons. Hard to find but worth every penny. Ground sports background helps too - skateboarding, snowboarding?

Thank you for not wanting to jump to the moon with your first kite :lol:

Don't bother looking for a foil from Slingshot, Best or Cabrinha - it'll be a trainer of all trainers and be useless pretty quickly. Invest in the Hydra and you'll be in good shape. I think a small LEI might do you well too. I saw a 4m up for sale just the other day for $225 or so? U2U'd you the link.

John Holgate - 14-4-2011 at 02:45 PM

Here's the kite for you!! (well, according to the Flysurfer literature anyway) Could be a tad expensive though. Flysurfer Viron

macboy - 14-4-2011 at 02:58 PM

You're absolutely right John. Forgot about that (that's how new it is). Trés spendy but very well engineered and would serve you well. I've seen it in action on snow - not sure how much different it'd behave on water surface but was amazing on the snow.

Seanny - 14-4-2011 at 03:26 PM

I too forgot about that. Looks to be the safest kite you could possibly buy, with automatic relaunch as well. It will drain your wallet, that I am sure of. But it's a kite you will never want to get rid of. Ever. :)

awindofchange - 14-4-2011 at 03:45 PM

All great advice. I vote for lessons!!! If you insist on doing it on your own, the Hydra is your best bet.

Here's a blog of mine that may help you out as well.
http://kitethoughtsfromthefield.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps.

roque - 14-4-2011 at 07:25 PM

Thank you all for the input guys.
I really appreciate it.
It is awesome to have this kind of feedback.

Please let me know of anything else you might think of.
I am still collecting information and trying to make a decision before I put some money in.

Take care and be safe,

Roque

Bladerunner - 15-4-2011 at 04:24 PM

What is it with all the reasonable newcomers as well??? Nice!

www.kitesurfingschool.org is a good resource but trying to get a lesson is very valuable.

The Viron depower foil may look expensive over the Hydra fixed bridle but it will prove to be a much more useful trainer so worth it if you can afford it ? With both you will want a harness. You can get a simple 3m trainer for use on land pretty cheap + resell it with little loss if you buy + sell used.

Generaly going Quality used is a good way at 1st. You are usually very hard on your trainer + 1st depower kite.

As you understand taking your time and asking the right questions will save you a bundle + make your experience much better !

I always wear a helmet no matter what I am flying. It's a good habit to form.

Quote:
Originally posted by roque
Thank you all for the input guys.
I really appreciate it.
It is awesome to have this kind of feedback.

Please let me know of anything else you might think of.
I am still collecting information and trying to make a decision before I put some money in.

Take care and be safe,

Roque

hydra

md2pigeon - 28-4-2011 at 04:59 AM

Im new to the sport as well and decided to go with the hydra. it has been great to learn on and i will be taking lessons in a few weeks feeling a little more confident in kite control because of it