Power Kite Forum

Water in my bladder

AD72 - 18-4-2011 at 08:47 PM

My second time out on a tube and first crash my kite completely deflated. It was an easy self rescue. I was having such an good time and it was time to stop for the day so I wound up the lines and swam into shore. It was then I realized it was only the valve that must have popped open on impact. I pumped up the kite today and it holds air just fine. But when I started to put it away I noticed it had some water in it. I think I have chased most of it out. Freshwater fortunately. Any advice on fixing my personal bladder problem?

flexiblade - 18-4-2011 at 09:14 PM

rubbing alcohol perhaps?

Kamikuza - 18-4-2011 at 09:31 PM

Valve popped open? Jeez, how?

I've seen the local shop guy run a hair dryer (carefully) into the bladder to dry out and remove sand but he pulled the bladder out of the kite ... if I were you, I'd just hang it up for a day and let it dry out.

I home-made some kite-hangers - http://kitanga.co.uk/ - and use them to wash the salt-water off my kites occasionally ...

AD72 - 18-4-2011 at 09:40 PM

I screwed up a jump and got spun around and the kite hit the water. I puled on one of the steering lines and got it to relaunch. It looked fine but as it reached zenith the whole thing inverted and then plummeted. I figure the valve must have popped open on impact and then when I relaunched it I essentially forced the air out of the tube. I wish I had the gopro on then.

indigo_wolf - 18-4-2011 at 10:09 PM

If you have chased most of the water out....
  1. This procedure might require a helper.... furry or otherwise, preferably without claws. :o
  2. Inflate bladder
  3. Warm the bladder in the sun for briefly.
  4. Lightly tap along the bladder from the wingtips to the center.
  5. Invert the kite so that the wing tips are facing upwards.
  6. Deflate the bladder.
  7. Repeat if necessary.
  8. Line dry in shade to complete.
Inverting the kite should cause any moisture to pool towards the center. Tapping the bladder breaks any surface tension between the bladder wall and the water to facilitate the pooling action. Warming the bladder puts any moisture closer to it's vapor state. Deflation creates negative pressure in the bladder forcing moisture out as vapor or water mist.

Hope that helps.

ATB,
Sam

AD72 - 18-4-2011 at 10:20 PM

Thanks! I will give it a go tomorrow.

Kamikuza - 18-4-2011 at 11:46 PM

Yikes :( I like the screw down system on the Cabrinha's eh :)