Power Kite Forum

Looking at lessons

NathanDH - 21-4-2011 at 05:13 AM

Hello, my name is Nathan, I am interested in kitesurfing and just recieved my first kite (rush 4 pro 350), I will be taking it out this weekend.
I am interested in taking lessons in addition to my own work with the trainer kite.
Here is a link to what I am looking at: Air Charleston

I would be taking: Kite Zen, Core Basics, and Board Balance. This would get me going so that I could go out on my own, it includes kite control, safety and crash management, rigging, etc. It would total $587 and include approximately 7 hours of lesson time. Would appreciate if someone could take a quick peak and give an opinion, I really am not sure how to gauge, but to me it looks like a good option.

Thanks,
Nathan

Chad - 21-4-2011 at 05:40 AM

give this guy a call! beter price and a great teacher! can't hurt to get a second opinion

Traveler Terpening
Desert Wind Kiteboarding
www.desertwindkiteboarding.com
info@desertwindkiteboarding.com

bigkahuna - 21-4-2011 at 05:49 AM

A couple questions first:

1. What's your age?
2. What's your physical condition?
3. Are you a good / competent swimmer?
4. Have you done any board sports before (surfing, wakeboarding, water skiing, etc.)? (I'm going to guess you have no prior kite flying experience, right?)
5. Where are you located? Charleston?
6. What are your plans / goals for kitesurfing (flatwater, tricks, surfing)?

I'm a big fan of taking lessons before diving into the sport, so give yourself a pat on the back for choosing the right path. I don't know anything about Air Charleston, and I don't see any mention of a certification, so I can't comment on the quality of lessons they may give. Just looking at the website, though, I would say that you may not need all the lessons you've listed, but that really depends more on your skills and past experience. Once we learn more about you we will be better able to help you out.

PHREERIDER - 21-4-2011 at 05:54 AM

Lesson are a great way to go. I know most of the guys there.

for about every 1-2 hours of lessons YOU should have about 10hours of YOUR own application of what was learned and gives a fair realistic of "how long is this gonna take"

conditions selection is a big early hurdle to understand. your own knowledge of weather is extremely important. The instructor can give some guidance but its really all you. Local conditions like current , tides and area layout arrive with it in your head.

If you don't already know how to sail its the fundamental element to which the sport is based. a solid understanding and application i feel are paramount.

showing up with knowledge allows you and the instructor to get things moving much quicker.

you're on the right track. the lesson are $$$ but is nothing compared to the TIME it will take.

Kamikuza - 21-4-2011 at 05:58 AM

Welcome!

Yeah you gotta go through the dull stuff of rigging and launching and packing up and water starts over and over by yourself, till you don't think about it ... but lessons build confidence - on someone else's gear - which is worth the money!

Bladerunner - 21-4-2011 at 06:34 AM

+ 1 for lessons.

These guys look organaized but I don't see IKO or PASA certification ? Ask about that and get a card to prove your progress if you ever take more lessons.

I like a jet ski assisted lesson the most.

PHREERIDER - 21-4-2011 at 06:45 AM

they are all IKO, one guy maybe a master.

tridude - 21-4-2011 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PHREERIDER
they are all IKO, one guy maybe a master.

yep................your lessons will be with JP who is an oustanding instructor..............keep us in the loop on the date and Ill come down and meet you. Great spot too, especially while learning....................:thumbup::thumbup:

NathanDH - 21-4-2011 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkahuna
A couple questions first:

1. What's your age? 23
2. What's your physical condition? Not the best cardio wise, but I do a good bit of weightlifting
3. Are you a good / competent swimmer? I can swim well in the ocean, I grew up in Myrtle Beach, surfing/swimming
4. Have you done any board sports before (surfing, wakeboarding, water skiing, etc.)? (I'm going to guess you have no prior kite flying experience, right?) Surfing, a little two line stunt kite flying
5. Where are you located? Charleston? I live in Columbia
6. What are your plans / goals for kitesurfing (flatwater, tricks, surfing)? I believe it is called freestyle, a little of everything, but mostly just riding and jumping

To the person that mentioned sailing: I am actually an ASA certified keelboat sailer, I have been sailing a year now.

Thanks for all the help,
Nathan

erratic winds - 21-4-2011 at 02:37 PM

Ah, then you've got one of the toughest parts out of the way, reading the weather! Sounds like you're definitely on the right tack! ( ;-) couldn't help myself sorry)

tridude - 21-4-2011 at 03:39 PM

Air with JP as your instructor will be awesome....................there is one other shop in town (Isle of Palms) Oli Nah ran by Dan Floyd. He or Yanni are both IKO master instructors (like JP at Air) and both are awesome guys. Your lessons will take place at Sullivans Island, station 28.5 which is a great spot and with the sandbar and shallows an awesome location to learn. Enjoy your lessons and look forwa,rd to seeing you out there. Rules at 28.5 will be briefed by your instructor and please heed them! You dont wont to be the one responsible for getting the spot banned. Have fun, enjoy, and welcome to the madness...................................................