Power Kite Forum

Getting lessons in nc!

md2pigeon - 26-4-2011 at 07:11 AM

Well its official i will be taking kitesurfing lessons in nc in a few weeks! has anyone else on here had any experience with kity hawk kites? Over the phone it sounds like everyone is pretty chill and eager to teach newbies.
Here is the link to thier site let me know what you think and if anyone wants to go down with us let me know!

http://www.kittyhawk.com/kiteboarding/introduction.cfm

bigkahuna - 26-4-2011 at 07:24 AM

Good stuff! You've picked what in my opinion is the best place on the planet to learn how to kiteboard. I've never taken lessons at KH kites, but I've demo'd some of their gear. You're right, they are about the coolest of the dealers up there. Water temps are still kind of low for this time of year, although the air temps have been in the 80s (I'm south of Hatteras) the water is still in the lower 60's. Could warm up quick though but be sure to bring a wetsuit just in case. Oh, and absolutely bring your booties to protect you against oyster beds.

ragden - 26-4-2011 at 07:33 AM

Last I heard, water temps in hatteras (on the sound side) were pushing 70 degrees. I'd bring a wetsuit just in case, but you probably will not need it, unless you just arent tolerant of cold water.

What the dates you will be down there? There are a couple guys I know who are going to be down there for the first week in May.. Maybe you guys could hook up after your lesson? I might be down there the weekend of the 14th, depends though...

Good luck!

bigkahuna - 26-4-2011 at 08:06 AM

I've only been going in the ocean, but the latest surf report said the sound was still 64. Doesn't sound right since it's been in the 80's almost every day, but that's what they're reporting. I'm just South of the middle of the coast so we tend to be a bit warmer than up there also. I've been wearing a 3/2 in the ocean and have been comfortable. I've seen guys in spring suits and others going in just baggies. I guess it depends on your tolerance and the air temps. By May we could all be board shorts (hopefully).

ragden - 26-4-2011 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkahuna
I've only been going in the ocean, but the latest surf report said the sound was still 64. Doesn't sound right since it's been in the 80's almost every day, but that's what they're reporting. I'm just South of the middle of the coast so we tend to be a bit warmer than up there also. I've been wearing a 3/2 in the ocean and have been comfortable. I've seen guys in spring suits and others going in just baggies. I guess it depends on your tolerance and the air temps. By May we could all be board shorts (hopefully).

Gotcha. Hopefully it wont be wetsuit weather for very much longer.. I'm looking forward to leaving the wetsuit at home...
:smilegrin:

markite - 26-4-2011 at 08:30 AM

that's where AJ works so he may chime in here.

md2pigeon - 26-4-2011 at 08:47 AM

Thanks For the heads up on the wetsuit!
I currently dont have one tho... any suggestions on brands or where to buy?

md2pigeon - 26-4-2011 at 08:50 AM

Ill be down there the weekend of may 21/22
If any of you guys are going to be in the area im deff down for meetin up im new to the sport/culture that is kitesports
so deff down for meeting people who have been into it for a while

chris - 26-4-2011 at 09:01 AM

Two thumbs up for KHK. Jon Gates is a good instructor whom is employed there. But anyone you work with at KHK will know their stuff. They have a ton of gear, including wetsuits. Might be clearing that stuff out in May.

I've been riding in boardshorts soundside in Nags Head for the past two days. Water temps in the low 70s. Feels great!

ragden - 26-4-2011 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris
Two thumbs up for KHK. Jon Gates is a good instructor whom is employed there. But anyone you work with at KHK will know their stuff. They have a ton of gear, including wetsuits. Might be clearing that stuff out in May.

I've been riding in boardshorts soundside in Nags Head for the past two days. Water temps in the low 70s. Feels great!

With that report right there, I wouldnt worry about getting a wetsuit, unless you PLAN on riding into late fall when the waters start to cool down (unless of course your home riding spot will also be cold water)...

Unfortunately, that is a bit late in the month for me.. I dont think I'll be down there for that weekend, sorry...

bigkahuna - 26-4-2011 at 09:22 AM

If you don't already have a suit, then don't worry about it. It's more than likely we'll all be in shorts by then anyways. An insulated rash guard might be worth having though, same goes for booties. There are lots of surf shops in Nags Head and that area. Shouldn't have a problem finding what you need if you don't already have it.