Power Kite Forum

First board?

mougl - 27-4-2011 at 06:18 PM

With buggy space coming at a premium here and inland winds usually being trash it finally dawned on me: I live 10min from the beach where the wind may not be big but it's consistent....get on the water dummy!!!

200ish pounds and light winds (usually 10ish to 15ish on a good day) I will hopefully have a V2 19m soon...what size board should I be looking for?

bigkahuna - 27-4-2011 at 06:24 PM

I weight 240 lbs and am very happy with my CrazyFly 149x49 twin tip. The key things to remember are flat rocker and board width, these will help you get up on a plane faster which is critical for lightwind kiting. A flat rockered surfboard would work also, but a twin tip might be easier to get started with.

PHREERIDER - 27-4-2011 at 06:27 PM

140+ X 42+ (cm)

Kober - 27-4-2011 at 07:05 PM

Good beginner board on sale.....
145x43
http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=cab%5F2010%5...

My arrived 2 weeks ago and waiting for first lesson

arkay - 27-4-2011 at 07:41 PM

the wider the better.
at least 140 if not 150, no longer than 160.
for my area, i like the Ocean Rodeo Mako, doors are a nice light wind board.
what is the water conditions you'll be in?

mougl - 27-4-2011 at 07:51 PM

water conditions are usually nearly flat...once in a while it will kick up to 2-3 feet but thats rare

the wind is my main concern...10-15 mph on a good day lol

Kamikuza - 27-4-2011 at 08:34 PM

Big door-type board that you'll keep for light winds later. Flydoor L maybe?

lunchbox - 27-4-2011 at 09:09 PM

Yep...flat rocker and board width is key...one thing that is not mentioned to much is volume...I like a little volume as well to keep you up in a lull...my first board was an old Slingshot LFT....worked great! Now I ride my old school flat rocker fish surfboard...

bigkahuna - 28-4-2011 at 03:26 AM

For some reason I misread your post and thought you had a Speed2 19, sorry. My recommendations are pretty much the same, but I hate to break it to you the Venom 2 19 has pretty weak bottom end. I used to get really frustrated trying to fly my modded V19 in anything under 18 mph, which is the main reason why I switched to inflatos. Don't get me wrong, the Venom 1/2 19 is a nice kite (I just bought one!) it's just that it's really more like a 16m inflato with no bottom end power.

With that in mind, I'd probably go with Lunchbox's suggestion and go with a surfboard. You'll need that extra volume to float you while you try to generate speed with the kite. In fact, you might want to try using a smaller kite and a bigger board. A buddy of mine flies a 12m inflato on a 9' surfboard in conditions that most people can't even fly a kite in. Maybe borrow some boards and see what works best for you?

Kitesurfing in light wind is not easy. I'm sure you have the kite flying skills so that will help, but developing the board skills in such light wind will be challenging. Naples is on the Gulf side, right? Not even sure how easy it is to find surfboards there. Have you been to the ocean side during the winter? I was in Stewart a couple winters ago and they had awesome conditions. Might be a good place and time of year to develop board skills.

mougl - 28-4-2011 at 05:20 AM

Board skills should come without too much trouble I would think. I spent a few years strapped to a wake board and before that I have years of surfing and skim boarding under my belt. That's sad news about the V2. Was hoping to use that as my light wind kite. I may have to look into an inflato or 2. I thought about A surf board but I really don't want to go directional If I can help it. Door and silver arrow sounds like the key here. Unfortunately I can't afford that set up right now so...

Maybe I'll give the water a shot at JIBE and go from there :)

Thanks for all the input guys! This forum rocks!!

bigkahuna - 28-4-2011 at 05:41 AM

With your previous experience you should be able to catch on real fast. Just don't try to learn on a light wind day, that could end up being very frustrating. Another, and much less expensive, kite to consider is a Waroo 20m. They don't make them any more but you may be able to find one used. Mine's the best big kite I've ever flown (and I had a FS Speed 2 19 and a Guerilla 2 22m). Turns like a 16m but has the power of a Mac truck. I'm able to go out easily in 15mph (and I weigh 240 lbs) and if I'm desparate can go out (and downwind) in less. I'm frequently the only guy who is able to go out here because of that kite (and the other guys are all 180-ish lbs.).

Don't be too disappointed about the Venom2 19, it's a good kite. It's just that PL's bottom end isn't quite the same as other kites. Get that kite into it's proper wind range and it's a lot of fun. For me, that's about 18 mph. For someone who weighs 200 lbs, it'll be less but I doubt you'd be able to do much below 15 mph.

PHREERIDER - 28-4-2011 at 06:00 AM

successful light wind riding is tough... for a big guy even harder.

after about a year on big kites and dropping 25 lbs. the low end of arcs starts to come around. went from nuclear conditions on a 16m tube then V16 and eventually a V13 at 190 lbs. in 12-14 mph.

key points besides weight,
-fast board! slick, flat and fat any kinda bottom stuff is a hinderence.
-DEPOWERED! get the kite to perform at the edge of window.
-point of sail with "continuous fall" head and body position.

when i started the light wind boards i WANTED to use were beyond my board skills and controllable concave boards made just getting out and in control easier. trying to LEARN on a fast board is brutal(esp. without boards skills)

the "get out(on the water) in light air" for the beginner is really fantasy. you need decent air and a controllable board.

take your time and TRY ALOT of stuff til you find what you like. there will be plenty to try at JIBE should the wind get up.

lunchbox - 28-4-2011 at 06:08 AM

I'm about 215, with wetsuit and gear about 220lbs. If memory serves correct, low end on the v2 19m for me with my old school fish was 12-13mph (and I'm signing like hell and not staying upwind). Granted, flat water, might be different. Also, that 12-13 is sustained wind (i.e. anything below that, dips to 9-10), forget it. Please note, there is my experience...other people might have different results.
If you have the funds, I would definitely recommend a Speed 2 19m...they are awesome light wind kites and sounds like, would work really well in your light winds.

Kamikuza - 28-4-2011 at 06:11 AM

The other thing to progressing is to NOT make the mistake of going out in too light wind ... is very frustrating.

I've said it before ... it's a real pity I can't get the Square One to the US for a "Pass the beginners plank" cos it's a fine board to learn on - until you want to go upwind :lol: