Power Kite Forum

my race chair for NABX

dirtslide - 2-6-2011 at 06:56 PM

here is the kite chair getting ready for 2012 nabx event .now lets see what rip brings to the table :roll:

001.JPG - 105kB

Scudley - 2-6-2011 at 07:03 PM

nice wheels, will they fit on your buggy? Cause I bet those little front casters are going to wobble like mad at speed.
S

Kamikuza - 2-6-2011 at 07:07 PM

Aw hell yeah! Lookit that thing! :thumbup:

dirtslide - 2-6-2011 at 07:08 PM

they wont even be on the ground ,this is just the start of the project the front will be completely changed to a singal wheel (freewheel) with pegs for steering .

002.JPG - 87kB

Bladerunner - 2-6-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scudley
nice wheels, will they fit on your buggy? Cause I bet those little front casters are going to wobble like mad at speed.
S

Exactly !

Won't you need something like the "3rd wheel " you had on it last week as well?
EDIT Clearly you are going the route I pictured . You posted at same time I guess.

That thing makes Oregon / Washington beaches a whole lot easier for you as well NO?

:wee:

Scudley - 2-6-2011 at 07:13 PM

we need to go to 72nd to test them out.
S

dirtslide - 2-6-2011 at 07:18 PM

need a seat belt and all my gear for those back roads, or maybe we ask to use the golf coruse :dunno::singing:

flyjump - 2-6-2011 at 07:55 PM

Dude that is wicked sick! I can't wait to see that thing in action

g00fba11 - 2-6-2011 at 08:12 PM

That is just so cool...... awesome!!!!

airin - 2-6-2011 at 10:18 PM

Looking amazing, dirtslide! :thumbup:

Seanny - 2-6-2011 at 10:32 PM

Someone tape some footage! I've been dying to make a video using the song "Passenger" by Deftones :D

This would be epiccccc.

ripsessionkites - 3-6-2011 at 01:55 AM

i got something for you ... chair racing it is. your chair is sweet.

i have a set of 17" disc wheels coming, perfect for wet beaches.

see you this weekend

dirtslide - 3-6-2011 at 08:22 AM

i know i will never be able to keep up with you in the buggy so i had to come up with somthing where I may have a little advantage .got a ton of wheelchair skills now so i thought use them. now Im looking forsome weights to hang low from the axle for a bit of lower balist. Im sure we can beat my old record that we set last time.:lol: hey coolbreeze dont you think these wheels will look amazing on your apexx ,you should pickup a set they are only 1800 bucks:cool2:

snowspider - 3-6-2011 at 08:32 AM

HOLY SH** !!!!!!!!!! someone is getting an A+ for creative problem solving.

Coolbreeze - 3-6-2011 at 08:39 AM

Only $1800....... what a deal. I don't think I could get that past City Hall, the dept. of mergers and acquisition's. Looks good though.

CB

dirtslide - 3-6-2011 at 09:08 AM

hahaha ,I found mine barely used for 1000 so i went for it .always wanted a set but didnt want to sell the house to get them :bigok:

gilligan - 3-6-2011 at 09:52 AM

Ok, that is bad-ass. Cheeers and good winds!

WELDNGOD - 3-6-2011 at 11:58 AM

awesome Bro! You are the man!

mougl - 3-6-2011 at 08:00 PM

DS....

That.
is.
freaking.
AWESOME!!!!

There's NO way I'm missing NABX this year!!!

WIllardTheGrey - 3-6-2011 at 09:20 PM

Soo... how many sets of tires are you gona burn off at NABX this year?...

dirtslide - 3-6-2011 at 09:42 PM

well boys we had it out today on the beach and on grass at Gary Point and holy sh#t you can ride it just like a buggy and steer with the front wheel .Scud has video of it and maybe he will post some up. anyway looks like it is going to work just need some fine tuning and then practice the hell out of it, maybe even have a few crashes to remember the old times coming home with roadrash from knee to ankle .as far as wear i hope they will stand up ok but they are sandrail dune buggy tires and I should be able to find some in vegas it is in the middle of the dessert.

001.JPG - 93kB

dirtslide - 3-6-2011 at 10:00 PM

here is a better look at wheel and tire.:cool:

002.JPG - 89kB

rocfighter - 4-6-2011 at 04:47 AM

DS this thing is out of the park. We need some speed trials of this thing.
Oh and best of luck with the road rash!!

nocando - 4-6-2011 at 03:26 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

nocando - 4-6-2011 at 04:55 PM

Hey dirtslide over here we have a buggy pal from up in the tropics who has
a major case of MS.
If your chair mods are documented is there a chance of a copy so that i can pass them on to Rob.
He usually gets around in his motorised chair towing his buggy.

Mods may save him lotsa grief.

dirtslide - 4-6-2011 at 09:38 PM

all he needs is a set of fatso wheels and a freewheel then just add a set of pegs to the freewheel atachment and set belt and you are ready to kite your wheelchair . just a bit scary compared to the kitebuggy but wicked fun none the less .let him have a look at the pics of my chair believe it or not that is a standard wheelchair uder there somewhere :spin:

Scudley - 4-6-2011 at 10:25 PM

As promised video of road test. High quality version uploaded.
S

ripsessionkites - 5-6-2011 at 01:38 AM

DS, you should have joined us at the beach and the other location today

lots of running space + good winds, 7m day.

nice wheels again.

rocfighter - 5-6-2011 at 05:59 AM

Cool video guys, We need to see DS fliing though! But a great insperation man best of luck with this and other projects.

deanaoxo - 5-6-2011 at 08:12 AM

You are truly inspirational!

pure aoxomoxoa~!~

dirtslide - 5-6-2011 at 08:13 AM

no footage but i did ride that bad boy later on in the day . what i need to do is add the front pegs so there is a place for the feet to rest on then you will see me ride the crap out of that wheelchair bug:crazy:

Bladerunner - 5-6-2011 at 08:24 AM

I am slightly confused about this project ?

You already pilot ab better buggy than I do ? That new Fexi seems just the job?

I see this as a great way of being more mobile on beaches but don't see how it can do what the Flexi' does for you?

Was there room to Kite during the Tall Ship Festival? Are we welcome?

Scudley - 5-6-2011 at 09:03 AM

By the time we left on Friday no room. They told us their expectation: 50 000 to 100 000 visitors this weekend.
He is not giving up the flexi. It is just another way of doing what DS does best: showing off.
S

BeamerBob - 5-6-2011 at 01:03 PM

After watching "wheels" at the Nitro Circus show in Vegas last night, I'm not sure the wheelchair is a hindrance. Much respect to the guys abilities and attitude. Same for you dirtslide.

dirtslide - 5-6-2011 at 06:42 PM

just having fun with this ride ,want to break my PB with it though .that was all of about 10 mph :rolleyes: , mostly wanted something for the beach this fall and it will be fun to roll around down on the playa next spring. thanks for the kind words from you all . well everyone but scud ;-)

Scudley - 5-6-2011 at 07:20 PM

hey, I meant that thing about showing off in the nicest way. You are really good at it, one of the best.

S

dirtslide - 5-6-2011 at 08:09 PM

oh you meant showman not showoff :roll:

Scudley - 5-6-2011 at 08:41 PM

I think a showman gets paid cash, or do you think that is why God gave you the horseshoe?
S

popeyethewelder - 25-6-2011 at 01:08 AM

wow...way to go DS, brilliant

qman - 22-3-2016 at 11:58 PM

Hey Dirstslide, great to see other wheelchair users kiting, i am a para and recently started buggy and am having a great time. we adapted a Peter lynn buggy and it works great. originally we used a lever for steering but then went to a tiller type set up and created a foot rest to get my feet off the steering pegs. works great now and had great fun. I find the approach of adapting a wheelchair for kiting an odd one. Wheelchairs are well suited for day to day life but are generally very very poor for sport and recreation. even with the freewheel (which i am very familiar with) a wheelchair is really a pretty poor substitute for a buggy. The wheel size, COG, steering, robustness etc. all mean it is surely much more effective and much much safer to use something built for purpose. Why try and kite from the chair?

dangerdan - 23-3-2016 at 02:01 PM

qman - this post is over 5 years old and the last posting by dirtslide was almost a year ago

by: dirtslide
4-22-2015 at 11:27

Bladerunner - 24-3-2016 at 02:17 AM

I will try and get a hold of D'sliddy and tell Him about your adventures. He is a real great guy! I'm sure He'll share tips and tricks with you! :cool: