Power Kite Forum

19m 05 north rhino for light wind beginner

md2pigeon - 29-6-2011 at 08:12 PM

you guys have been great in the past looking to pick this kite up from a pkf user but need opinions on if this kite would be safe for me to use thanks in advance!

tridude - 29-6-2011 at 08:35 PM

how are you on the 10m Bandit........................If you can handle a 10 on water tells me you have experience in higher winds and you should be able to handle the 19 BUT you need to invest in a battery air pump..................thats alot of pumping

bigkahuna - 29-6-2011 at 11:54 PM

As best as I can recall, there wasn't a North Rhino 19m in 2005. There was an 18 and a 20 though. I had a North Rhino 16 (2001), a Rhino II 20m (2003), and a Rhino 06 20m (2006). The Rhino 06 was the last C kite they made before switching to bows. The Rhino II was an awesome kite at the time but the Rhino 06 was a major disappointment. Here's some reviews of the entire series:
http://www.kite-surf.com/userreviews/index.php?bid=&kid=...

I'm a big believer in the latest generation of bows and SLE's, these newer designs have massively improved inflato stability, wind range and relaunch-ability. No way I'd go back to a C-kite any more.

md2pigeon - 30-6-2011 at 04:18 AM

Tridude
I learned on a new epic infinity(16-17m) and an epic renegade 11m. I have only been able to take the bandit out once or twice since i bought it and its brand new! local winds are just not the best right now the average is about 10-12 so im looking for something that will enable me to get more water time in im getting tired of just not kiteing.

Bigkahuna
do you think this would do the trick until i am able to buy another light wind machine? at this point im not being extremely picky as i need a kite that will enable me to get more water time and the bandit just isnt doing it right now.

That brings up another option ive been thinking about selling the bandit and buying just a light wind specific kite like the ozone zephyr or epic infinity i learned on

Thanks!

bigkahuna - 30-6-2011 at 04:46 AM

How much do you weigh? If you weigh under 200 lbs, a recent 14-16m bow / sle would be my recommendation. My wife (who weighed about 110 at the time) took out my Bularoo 16 in 12 mph winds one time and was -lit-, I on the other had, was barely able to stay up on the board no matter how hard I sined the kite. For the average guys here, their biggest kite is a 14 meter. I have a 20m Waroo, but I also weigh 240 lbs and I like to go out in light(er) winds. I don't know anything about a 19m Rhino, nor have I flown the 05 Rhinos. As I said, I had an 06 Rhino 20m and it was a major disappointment. Dumping it and getting my Waroo / Bularoo quiver made kiting sooo much nicer. What's your budget?

PHREERIDER - 30-6-2011 at 04:59 AM

never heard of 19m rhino, they made a 20m. takoon made a 19m ..mamoot! any way .

a newer 14/5m will be more efficient and far better. waste of $AND bladders will spoil it in a short time. relaunch on that thing will suck.

md2pigeon - 30-6-2011 at 07:11 AM

Im about 5' 6'' 185lbs the winds locally have been light lately between 8-12 usually we get a few good days but not many right now. Im looking to spend between 6-700 i already have a four line bar i can use so a bar is not needed but i would like to be able to go out and kite everyday (i know that is not ideal esp right now) but i want a kite that will give me the best chance at riding in light winds. Should i sell the FONE or just keep saving money for the ozone zephyr or epic infinity?

van - 30-6-2011 at 07:20 AM

Just getting a bigger kite doesn't mean it will get you going in lighter wind. Most of the LEIs are not light wind machine when they go up in size. There are a few LEIs that are designed with smaller bladder to keep the weight down but the majority is not. They are meant for larger riders in medium wind. The larger LEIs are heavier as they get bigger because of the leading edge. If you are spending $6-700, then look for a used Flysurfer Speed in the deluxe fabric.

md2pigeon - 30-6-2011 at 07:46 AM

Van

What size would you recomend in the flysurfer speed? Im so interested in this sport but these winds are killing me anything i need to do to get out thier and get board time im willing to do

tridude - 30-6-2011 at 08:56 AM

MD, I have alot of time on flysurfers and Speeds. Not a good beginner kite. The Pulse and Pulse 2 however are awewsome beginner kites. A 13m Pulse or 14m Pulse 2 with a lightwind board will have you up and plaining in 10/11 kts. Another option is the 15m Wainman Big Mama. Delta shape design with alot of low end grunt. relaunch is damn near automatic as well. Its aqua auto zenith if you will. I have the 12 and 9m and love them both. Work well in the buggy too. The kite has tunable options so you can set it up for your personal style. Good luck!