Power Kite Forum

Hatterass and the outer banks

rocfighter - 1-8-2011 at 01:33 PM

Hello my cousins daughter and her boyfriend are heading down to hatterass august 5th and he is interested in checking out kite surfing. They asked me if I knew anyone that may be willing to give a lesson. I told them I would ask here and get back to them. So thanks in advance. Oh yeah they are both Adults.

bigkahuna - 1-8-2011 at 01:40 PM

Last I checked, Real Sports and Kitty Hawk Kites had the best facilities for kitesurf lessons. Personally, I like the folks at Kitty Hawk better. You won't find a better location to learn than here on the Banks. Summers are usually pretty good and so far this Summer has been better than most.

action jackson - 1-8-2011 at 01:47 PM

+1 for Kitty Hawk Kites Resort in Rodanthe,NC MP40............aj

Jaymz - 1-8-2011 at 07:05 PM

Another for KHK in Roadanthe. Took my first lesson there last summer. Nice resort and great instruction. Too bad the wind never got over 12mph the week we were there. Got in alot of body draggin.

md2pigeon - 2-8-2011 at 04:43 AM

I also took lessons there earlier this summer deff a great place to learn and everyone is super cool to newbies

ragden - 2-8-2011 at 05:28 AM

So.. the question here is, are you looking for someone to hook them up with free lessons, or are you looking for professional lessons?

Personally, I would recommend they pay for the lesson from either KHK or Real. As most people have recommended KHK, I would lean towards there. So... first day you have decent wind, go do your lesson. Then, once you have the basics down, the next day, you go to a different launch point, and get someone to go over your basics and make sure you have everything down pat. And then to "keep an eye on you". Or, you could pay for a multi-day lesson. Depending on skill level acquired from the lesson, they could walk away from it confident enough to ride without assistance, but its never a bad idea to have someone watching out for you on your first couple of days...

elnica - 2-8-2011 at 10:27 AM

If you have a trainer they could borrow that would be a good thing for them to use before the lesson. My lessons wouldnt have been that productive without the time spent on the trainer. Even if they cant practice until they get to Hatteras, they can practice there for a few hours on their own and get the basics down without paying the $100 per hour for it (or whatever the lesson cost is..). Then they can go to their lesson and not loose as much time getting a feel for turning the kite and all that.

It also depends on their commitment to kitesurfing, if they are just taking a short 2-hr lesson to see if they like to fly a kite or if they are really serious about wanting to kitesurf (6-8hrs of lessons). In two hours I doubt they would get very far if they have never flown a kite before. Also, my experience with "saving money taking a couples course" is that you loose money because you are only getting 1/2 of the time on the kite that you would if you did a private class (you share an instructor so you have 1 kite). If your weight is very different from your partner then it will be even harder to do the actual board riding stuff in a couples lesson. It's much better to do a 2hr private class than a 3 hour couples lesson. This might be different in hatteras, I took my lessons in miami.

Just my 2 cents...

bigkahuna - 2-8-2011 at 12:28 PM

+1 on taking / buying a trainer kite.