Power Kite Forum

Tragedy today on the beach :(

Jaymz - 1-8-2011 at 06:55 PM

There was a tragedy today by our local riding spot, Sandy Hook NJ. A few of us were out kiteboarding and a fast moving storm rolled in around 6pm. Wicked lightning all around so we left our gear on the beach and ran to wait it out.
Before we got to the parking lot, saw a CLOSE bolt of lightning on the beach in front of where we park which unfortunatly hit a guy still on the beach with his family. Park rangers worked on him and performed CPR for 15 minutes without success. Paramedics arrived and rushed him to the hospital. God Bless Ralphie and his family. So sad.

When the strom blew in we were still on the beach and another rider said getting struck by lightning is as likely as hitting the lottery. Don't bet on it. Please be careful out there.

RedSky - 1-8-2011 at 07:03 PM

Terrible news.

awindofchange - 1-8-2011 at 09:37 PM

Terrible news indeed. Our prayers are with the family.

Jaymz - 1-8-2011 at 10:00 PM

http://www.redbankgreen.com/2011/08/man-killed-by-lightning-...

shehatesmyhobbies - 2-8-2011 at 03:49 AM

Such terrible news. Thinking of his family. Glad you are okay!

labrat - 2-8-2011 at 04:27 AM

Very sorry to hear that. Thinking of the family.

Sounds like you guys were still out when it happened. Even when action is taken, it seems like sometimes, you cannot move fast enough.

ragden - 2-8-2011 at 04:29 AM

That storm last night was something else. I was driving home through that mess and it was pretty insane. Glad you were okay, and sorry to hear about the guy on the beach. Btw, the article doesnt load for me. Is it just me?

Sad news. :( Thanks.

snowspider - 2-8-2011 at 05:38 AM

I've gotten in the habit of rolling every thing up at the sound of thunder because these summer storms are so fast and the lightning is way out in front of them. I'm out with my guys all the time and "there but for the grace of god go I" , so sad.

PHREERIDER - 2-8-2011 at 05:46 AM

we got the same down east, very violent multiple structure strikes and fires.

sad news, a 22 year old guy walking with his mother was killed in the same fashion a few years back.

cheezycheese - 2-8-2011 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ragden
Btw, the article doesnt load for me. Is it just me?

Sad news. :( Thanks.

me either...

sunset-Jim - 2-8-2011 at 07:11 AM

GREAT NEWS
I just read from that link (had to go to the home page) but the breaking news is that he actually survived.

ragden - 2-8-2011 at 07:26 AM

Corrected link:
http://www.redbankgreen.com/2011/08/man-revived-after-lightn...
And yes, he did survive.. amazing...

Leojim - 2-8-2011 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaymz
another rider said getting struck by lightning is as likely as hitting the lottery. Don't bet on it. Please be careful out there.

In the USA, supposedly about 40-60 deaths per year from lighning strikes. It's amazing how many actually survive. There are likely at least that many lottery winners each month. So you have BETTER chances of winning the lottery. Of course, taking prudent action in the vicinity of lightning storms is vital to reducing ones odds of getting struck.

This is off course on average since my personal likelyhood of getting hit by lightning is infinitely higher than winning the lottery. "You gotta play to win" (or lose as the case me be LOL)

Bottom line: Very good news that the person made it through. What a story they will have to tell.