Power Kite Forum

mabe hitting the lake tommorow need advice

Looking_Up - 11-8-2011 at 08:15 PM

Looking_Up - 11-8-2011 at 08:25 PM

Accidentally hit enter so here is my pickle I have found a lake that I know has a large flats area when the lake gets low should be grassy knee to waist high good for learning winds will be primo direction but not shure if they will be strong enough
For those who don't know I weigh 290 took my first water lessons on the big door at this weight in winds from 15 to 25 on a 11 m turbo and road unwind but had trouble with the starts so I still had to take the walk of shame several times I have learned that I was choking the kite and by the time the wind picked up I was wiped out so after the background

The winds will be 15 building to twenty I have a 19 v2 and a 14 havoc that I plan to use with more wind I would pull out the 16 v2 I built a ply door modeled on the biggest door + little top down rails and foot pads and straps

Think I have enough kite and board or should I wait for more wind
Also arc or havoc

burritobandit - 11-8-2011 at 08:28 PM

Which lake?

Looking_Up - 11-8-2011 at 08:33 PM

The only one in the middle of the desert ha
Colorado city lake tx

Kamikuza - 11-8-2011 at 09:15 PM

At your weight, learning, on a big door (170x50) in 15 to 25 knots - I'd be using a 13m bow (which sucks below 20 but you can work it) or a 15m delta ... although I'd probably just stay on my 16m bow ... when you're learning, you need the power you can get - but you need to give yourself space to crash too.

Havoc 14 is a hybrid delta - some kind of C-kite hodge-podge :D buddy has one here and it seems gutless - yesterday, I rode all afternoon on my FSer 19 and he walked. And walked and walked. It won't start coming alive until about 20 knots for us fatties.

Stick with the V2 19 and then the 16 if it gets over 20 IMO ... just my opinion ;)

Looking_Up - 11-8-2011 at 09:47 PM

Thanks the 19 and 14 are pretty close but the havoc is alittle more high performance I think mainly for frestylers but I will definitely stick with your advice oh Ye lake rider from the far east
Made the door from 3/4 ply painted graphics and sealed

Brent_P - 12-8-2011 at 04:01 AM

A word of advice from my learning experience.

When I would show at the beach and the wind was 20+ mph I would get nervous and pack up and go home because I felt it was TOO windy.

For newbies starting out learning you have some pretty crappy board skills (I know I definitely did) and you will need this strong wind to keep you afloat as it is a natural tenancy to fight the kite and edge too hard (especially during water starts) causing you to sink.

Granted, obviously the higher the wind the harder the crash and definitely a higher probability of being rag-dolled once you do fall, however you will need this wind otherwise I guarantee you will be constantly sinking until you improve your board/water skillz :D

Good Luck!!!

ragden - 12-8-2011 at 05:00 AM

When you dive the kite, point the board downwind... the biggest mistake most newbies make is trying to turn the board upwind too soon... You need to get planning and pick up speed BEFORE turning upwind...
;)

PHREERIDER - 12-8-2011 at 05:18 AM

use the 19, and you'll need considerable breeze, like 20.

the 14 and v16 should be similar in power.

you need power! when the 19 FEELS lit , it will be 25+.

get out and ride ! let it run! have some fun. probably will feel fast, but you'll get used to it , control will come. try not worry about the up wind stuff. speed control/ board control will be first on your mind.

Looking_Up - 12-8-2011 at 07:01 AM

May get skunk today the wind is barely going to average 15 mph until later then they are only forecasting 17 mph

Straps all tight medium or lose on the kite

Looking_Up - 12-8-2011 at 07:40 AM

Just checked the arc calculator and I think I am going to get wet whether or not I actually have enough wind we will have to see

PHREERIDER - 12-8-2011 at 07:59 AM

all loose, with the load at hand kite speed is everything.

it'll behave better and be less stall prone.

the limiting factor will be breeze. your gonna need solid air

Looking_Up - 12-8-2011 at 08:03 AM

Thanks for the strap info I am still watching the weather right know its still on the low end
Pray for wind
Yesterday it looked great but I think it is looking steam

slopecat - 13-8-2011 at 06:15 AM

I had my 2nd water lesson earlier this week. I improved over my first, but still probably didn't ride for any more than about 20 feet. It felt good to be more comfortable and improve on some things but the slow progression for me is frustrating.

Quote:
For newbies starting out learning you have some pretty crappy board skills (I know I definitely did) and you will need this strong wind to keep you afloat as it is a natural tenancy to fight the kite and edge too hard (especially during water starts) causing you to sink.

I think this was what I was doing wrong. Trying to edge too much from the start. Something I need to keep in mind for next time. My only board experience was a 3hr session behind a boat. I think I did quite well for my first time. The power delivery is so much different from the kite though. I know I have a lot to learn.

Quote:
When you dive the kite, point the board downwind... the biggest mistake most newbies make is trying to turn the board upwind too soon... You need to get planning and pick up speed BEFORE turning upwind...

The couple of times I did that, mostly by accident, I did shoot out of the water and planed out immediately. I just couldn't keep it going. I tried to edge right away. Not sure why really, I had a whole lake in front of me and plenty of room.

The posts from brent_p and ragden sound like they were written just for me! When I read them them a day after my session they made perfect sense.

I can't wait to get out and try again. I think I am close to putting it together and really going for my first ride.

Bladerunner - 13-8-2011 at 08:38 AM

One of my biggest hurdles was keeping the kite calm while trying to get set into my board. ( old C kite days ) " kite 1st " became my instructors mantra .

I have a feeling the auto zenith of the arcs will win over the Havoc at that point. Since you can stand, relaunch of the arcs will be less of an issue but a potential PITA. Incentive to think " kite 1st " !

Have you studied and practiced SELF RESCUE " ? If not you MUST work on this skill with whatever kite you choose BEFORE you go out and ride !!!!!

Just my thoughts!

Looking_Up - 13-8-2011 at 09:27 AM

I am familiar with tube self rescue and I have a contingency for total arc failure but have been unable to locate a said technique for self rescue of an arc
My plan _ I always were my life vest when on the water alone
Wind up the lines and stuff it in the backpack and swim or float because of the life jacket to the nearest shore walk back to camp

PHREERIDER - 13-8-2011 at 12:04 PM

arc rescue , roll up lines, on a flagged unit. place tip on tip and roll(WITH BAR) for tension pressure and control, sit or lay on board and off you on your down wind float plan into shore, clammed unit will sail in similar to tube, have to keep rolling it up as you go and eventually strap up with leash . with wind and tidy roll up its actually quick, the LE valve flood is the critical point if its a long haul like over 2miles, really have to kept it inflating in the drag

vest is good, keep at it.