Power Kite Forum

*video* .......The Beginning........

Kober - 21-8-2011 at 08:48 PM

nothing special ..... don't WATCH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......lol

small video of me finally getting some first runs on kiteboard .......
not sure how many water starts I did before it click and by end of day I was able to make long runs with few small jumps .... not on video since battery died ....(lol) ...... hopefully tummorows session will add that extra footage ......

Kober

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7JhwfR0BiM

RedSky - 21-8-2011 at 08:59 PM

Very nice camera work and edit. I guess flat water helps when first starting out. I'm a buggier and never tried to kitesurf. My friend had a quick go last year and failed to get up and riding. The waves I don't think helped him. Maybe he should try flat water first. Can't be easy though.

Well done.

John Holgate - 22-8-2011 at 12:21 AM

Nice!! Gonna have to try this one day.....

arkay - 22-8-2011 at 01:07 AM

Nice! Keep it going! Doing great for just getting out! Board start downwind, butt in, and no man wrestling the bar ;)

Where were you flying?

ripsessionkites - 22-8-2011 at 02:24 AM

keep it up ... did the wind pick up later??? you looked underpowered to start.

what Ark said, you're fighting that bar and its pulled all the way in ... once you get planning you can let the bar out (half arm length) and let the kite fly.
if you're bar hungry reduce the trim strap a little.

ride on!!! :cool2:

shehatesmyhobbies - 22-8-2011 at 06:03 AM

Good job Kober! Hopefully I'm next.

chudalicious - 22-8-2011 at 06:27 AM

Me too! I so want to get on the dang water!!

bobalooie57 - 22-8-2011 at 06:32 AM

:thumbup: Great job, Kober. You sure are gettin' it all, seem to be quite the natural! Go get'em! :roll:

Mostly Harmless - 22-8-2011 at 07:01 AM

Looks good. Your hands are too far apart on the bar, move them closer to the center.

Kober - 22-8-2011 at 07:40 AM

Thanks for comments .......

Wind was strong thru whole session ..... I just did not realize how much more power from you kite you need to ride on kiteboard when comparing to land kiting .....
............As you notice I did pull bar all way in and kill kite power right after start .... and point board upwind right after getting up..... and after watching this video first time I did see that my hands are too far apart as commented before ..... somehow this video did show me what I am doing wrong ......
After crashing in deep water few times I start to practice all maneuvers with my feet not touching the button every time board got away from me ...... Its hard ......

Awesome experience and so different from land kiting .... you can crash all you want and not get hurt .....lol.....
Snowboard skills are not helping since its completely different game ..... sometimes I thing my snowboard habits make learning harder ....

@ chudalicious ....... time to get that Flysurfer wet !!!!!!!
@ arkay ...... Sandy Hook NJ , bay side
@ RedSky ...... strong clean wind, big board and flat water helps..... thats what I been told .....

Kober

Looking_Up - 22-8-2011 at 07:57 AM

Wind was just a hair light but if you hadn't been choking it it might have been plenty
I had the same issue my first time out when I let the kite run it seemed effortless but when I tried to man handle it I just couldn't seem to get up and going just up and down much like u were

ripsessionkites - 22-8-2011 at 08:07 AM

Use your Rabbit!!! Youll love the power to finese of it.

Again nice first run.

rocfighter - 22-8-2011 at 05:47 PM

That was a real good video. And once again you have shown you are a natural kiter. But a bit harder than your first buggy try HUH?? Keep it up and have fun. See you soon at WBB.

Kober - 22-8-2011 at 07:08 PM

Another windy day ..... and I have to work to 5pm ...... thats ok ..... I can still go and ride for an hour ...... and then ... one of my clients forgot that I am coming at 12 and lock all doors at job site ..... WOW !!!! 5 min later I was driving to Sandy Hook with BIG Mama in my trunk ,,,,,,,,,
wind was 12-16 and this kite like me a lot since i have no problem getting up and ride for 6 hours !!!!!! one break 20 min thats all have ...... I was able to stay upwind most of time and ride both ways along with other kiters ,,,,,,, I am so happy that I found so much fun in kitting .....
Now I am back home and everything hurts ...... legs mostly ..... my hands, my ass ,,,,, lol....
Hopefully kitting will not make me jobless and broke ....lol..... But it definitely makes my HAPPY !!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

slopecat - 22-8-2011 at 07:53 PM

Congratulations!

I hope that will be me in two more days. Next time out will be my 3rd water session and I don't feel like I have taken my first ride yet. I am hoping I can put it all together.

Forecast shows winds of 22 gusting to 30. Should be plenty good for my 10m Key. The wind in my neck of the woods has been so weak for so long I haven't had many opportunities to get my feet wet.

Nice job with the video too. Its providing plenty of inspiration for me.

Kober - 26-8-2011 at 07:47 AM

Thanks slopecat
Hopefully you get yours first ride ......
...... same here .... not too many windy days at time when I am not working ..... next month we will have more opportunities as windy days will be not as rare ......

slopecat - 26-8-2011 at 08:14 PM

My third session was a tough one. 30+ mph winds with gusts to 40. I self launched my 10m but had my hands full. After a couple of crashes and relaunches I was too close to shore so I bailed. Never even got the board on my feet. I decided to wait for the wind to ease while the experienced riders were ripping it up.

Later in the afternoon the winds eased to 18-20 and I tried again. I had help launching several times but my lines and bar were giving me trouble. After getting things sorted out I had an hour or so at the end of the day to give it a go. Eventually it was too light for the 10m (with my skillset anyway) and had to call it a day.

I made little progress. I maybe had one 30' run. Its been a steep learning curve for me so far. The wind should be picking up here in another couple of weeks. Hopefully that will lead to more sessions and more success.

abelbenjamin820 - 2-9-2011 at 02:34 AM

so cool.. wish i could surf like that.. :)

Powerws - 3-9-2011 at 08:36 PM

Looks great to me. I will buy my buggy at WWBB, but then I want to get this gear! Great job! Looks hard!