Power Kite Forum

Wipe out - added Pics - Video TBD

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 04:21 PM

Thanks to all that came to my aid today.

I had a nice ambulance ride.

Waiting on x-rays.

HoPe to be out soon

Hurts like an sOB

martinipro - 4-4-2012 at 04:28 PM

Oh boy! Not what I wanted to hear!
Hope you're Ok!

mougl - 4-4-2012 at 04:36 PM

omg that was you?!?!?! I cringed when I heard there was an injury:no:

Hope everything turns out ok bro! :thumbup:

macboy - 4-4-2012 at 04:51 PM

Ah! What happened? I shudder to think of any conflict between that hard, razor rough playa surface! Heal well. Hope you're OK.

nocando - 4-4-2012 at 04:57 PM

Ryan get well soon

arkay - 4-4-2012 at 05:06 PM

oh damn. rest up.

Drewculous - 4-4-2012 at 05:13 PM

Ok, dont take this wrong.... I hope you get better soon.... But I gotta ask... Video?
:dunno:

Lol sorry to ask, get better man!

Love ya goofy get well soon!! What happened? I missed all this

cheezycheese - 4-4-2012 at 05:17 PM

say it ain't so Ryan... hope you're OK... :eekdrull:

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 05:18 PM

X-rays are back.... It's a miracle.... Nothing broken....

Doc says lots of internal soft tissue damage around shoulder and ribs on left side.

They gave me a couple shots of the good stuff and after getting my fitted in a sling are going to cut me loose.

Man I haven't felt this kind of pain ever....

My better half is very worried and very upset and I think that will turn out worse than my accident.....

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 05:20 PM

Oh and yes.... As long as the camera survived there will be video....

Just be patient.....

mougl - 4-4-2012 at 05:24 PM

Good to hear nothing is broken!!! :thumbup:

Get some rest and feel better bro.

Bigbear97e - 4-4-2012 at 05:40 PM

What?? O.B.E?? Hope everything is OK g00f .... take it easy and get better soon .... hope you still got one good arm for BB's cerveza :smilegrin:

erratic winds - 4-4-2012 at 05:43 PM

Hope you heal fast, man!

hiaguy - 4-4-2012 at 05:53 PM

Ouch g00f! Sorry to hear this.
It's never a good deal when one of the family gets hurt. Here's to a quick healing!

PHREERIDER - 4-4-2012 at 06:27 PM

ouch, glad you're unbroken. hope you got meds , tomorrow is coming. see ya there!

Flyfish - 4-4-2012 at 06:57 PM

Goof! Sorry to hear! Hope you feel better soon! I hate hearing about ambulances!

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 07:00 PM

In pain... But made it... Back on the playa....

WELDNGOD - 4-4-2012 at 07:10 PM

That's what I'm talkin about! Glad you a re OK.

Kamikuza - 4-4-2012 at 07:22 PM

Yes you're fine great but is your gear ok? :lol:
Glad you're ok - feel better soon.

Drewculous - 4-4-2012 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
Yes you're fine great but is your gear ok? :lol:
Glad you're ok - feel better soon.

LMAO!!

csa_deadon - 4-4-2012 at 07:34 PM

That was one hell of a way to meet ya! Glad i could help ya out.

awindofchange - 4-4-2012 at 07:58 PM

Sorry to hear Goof - hope everything is ok. If you need anything at all let me know. I should be on the Playa this weekend.

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 08:32 PM

Thanks all....means a lot....

Thank God for body armor....

I don't know how long I am out of flying for but had to get back to the playa and say my thank you's .... Still have a couple more to go....

Great family here.....

Going to put this old broken body of mine to bed...

I'll have to see if I can sleep and how things feel tomorrow

g00fba11 - 4-4-2012 at 09:00 PM

@kami

I was demoing a buggy.... I was demoing a blurr from the flexifoil guys... So if my cameras come out of this in working order the only equipment I messed up was me...

I felt bad for the guy from flexi that let me demo the blurr ... He was the first guy I saw when I got back to the playa and let him know it was all on me...and a big gust...

He said he got the blurr back.... It was from his personal stash so I do hope it is ok...

arkay - 4-4-2012 at 10:54 PM

ouch a double demo on a blustery day. Glad you ended up ok. I just got back the playa but would be happy to tow you around and keep it slow if you want to check out the playa some more. That would be one hell of a long out-n-back too :)

Todd - 5-4-2012 at 03:17 AM

Glad you're :bigok:

Good job Sean for being the Playa medic!

+1 what drew said... Video. Chop chop :smilegrin:

g00fba11 - 5-4-2012 at 07:03 AM

They charge for Internet at the hotel....

So no video yet.....

Didn't sleep to well last night.... Some parts feel better new parts are sore :lol:

Watched the video and boy.... Talk about a no committ and no idea how to do an upwind turn.... I got what I deserved.... :lol:

I decided after the roll out things felt good so I tried to put some speed on to try an upwind turn. I figured I had watched several if the pros do it enough that I should give it a whirl.

I guess my watch and try method of learning finally caught up with me....

I learned body armor and protective gear is a real good thing.... I learned before trying a new skill for the first time talk it through with those that know how to do it... Don't just watch and wing it....especially on a first run in an unfamiliar buggy with an unfamiliar kite you have never flown before.....I learned snow is much softer than the playa :lol:

You guys are going to laugh when you see the weenie attempt at that upwind.... Kite looks like I was starting to send it up and then just didn't know how to get it to carry over and it lufted.... I knew I had gotten lost in kite placement but boy did I blow it.

mougl - 5-4-2012 at 07:08 AM

Good to hear you're feeling better! I did the watch and try method a few times, never resulted in anything positive for me so don't feel bad :)

Ok so we know the kite, what buggy were you in?

g00fba11 - 5-4-2012 at 07:26 AM

@arkay... thanks for the offer.... I will prolly take you up on that but right now still way to sore to get in a buggy..... Maybe in a day or two....

@mougl.... I flipped an Ivanpah.... Using that 2.5m Blurr...

indigo_wolf - 5-4-2012 at 07:33 AM

Take care of yourself and I hope you are off the mend soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by g00fba11
@mougl.... I flipped an Ivanpah.... Using that 2.5m Blurr...

It's always the wee ones that whack you upside the head when you least expect it. I think in a former life kites were cats. :yes:

Get better soon.

ATB,
Sam

mougl - 5-4-2012 at 08:14 AM

You may be on to something here Sam...

doublespeed360 - 5-4-2012 at 05:25 PM

sorry to hear this , im a fan of crash - learn[watch+try] but not at nabx/sbbb that playa is un- forgiveable. no laugh on the weenie ,safety was my first job and always at that place.11years -no injurys.

WELDNGOD - 5-4-2012 at 06:11 PM

g00f ,what setting was the AAA on?

g00fba11 - 5-4-2012 at 06:23 PM

They showed me the AoA before my run and it was in towards the middle.

WELDNGOD - 5-4-2012 at 06:32 PM

would have been better all the way towards the kite. That was my "high wind " setting on my Rages outfitted w/AAAs.

labrat - 5-4-2012 at 06:40 PM

I’m sorry to hear your trip took such a turn.

You’re very positive about the experience.

Happy healing and good luck with the wife.

WELDNGOD - 5-4-2012 at 06:53 PM

g00f,you are really lucky dude. An Ivanpah is pretty heavy Buggy to flip. Were you still in it or did you get yanked? Hope ya mend well Bro. Could have been soooo much worse.

g00fba11 - 5-4-2012 at 07:09 PM

I got flipped... From the video and what eye witnesses say it appears it landed on me....

It happened so fast and I hit so hard.... I just laid there... Then I took a breath and thought... Well OK I can breath.... Lots of great people were there real fast to help out....I do remember Grant being there first and turning the buggy up right. PTW was next on the scene.... After that the pain really set in and I am not able to remember everones names. That is why it was so important for me to find the people that helped and thank them. I hope I didnt miss any...

And a extra shout out to Sean for taking care of me in ths big top until help arrived.

And a special thanks to Todd, my NABX room mate who has gone above and beyond in helping me out so much since the accident....

Big thanks to all of them.....

The pain was so intense I was nauseated....

I was sure from the force of the impact I had broken something....

The first responders from NABX and the paramedics also were pretty sure some bone I can't pronounce would for sure be broken....

It is a miracle I am in as great a shape as I am and I am very thankful....

rocfighter - 6-4-2012 at 06:51 AM

Goof I've done this on soft sand and was messed up for a while. I can't imagine on the playa. Glad your going to be ok in the end. Take it easy and have as much fun hanging out as you can.

Chad - 6-4-2012 at 06:58 AM

G00f - I hope you feel better soon! I have never flipped my buggy on rocks but I know how it feals to land on something hard at speed, I wouldn't wish that on anyone!
Were you in Todd's buggy the "Green Monster"? :shocked2:

KYTE SLINGER - 6-4-2012 at 07:05 AM

this is not the buggy you want to ride in
https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/NABX2012Wednesday#5727...

rocfighter - 6-4-2012 at 06:01 PM

Those are a great set of pictures. Almost makes me feel like I was there.

Kober - 6-4-2012 at 08:12 PM

unbroken is good .....
One day off PKF and things are happening without me .....

.... video .... can't wait .... hope you get back to shape ASIP .....

WELDNGOD - 6-4-2012 at 08:33 PM

next year!

g00fba11 - 6-4-2012 at 09:30 PM

Hey guys all a good.... I can't fly but have been getting some great pics and some videos..... Must have about 700 pics by now...

Healing fast.... Feeling better every hour.... I want to fly so bad...

I helped Brian Holgate and Beaver Bob a bit with the me P2s and was chomping at the bit this morning when I saw a 6m Phantom buzz out...

I want to grab a wing and just go....

I will be back in the saddle as fast as I can....

shehatesmyhobbies - 7-4-2012 at 11:11 AM

Glad you are feeling better! You have to get better so you can make WBB this fall! It's not NABX, but it is still a wild time and softer ground!

Drewculous - 7-4-2012 at 03:13 PM

So goof tell me, is the worst day of kiting better than the best day at work?? :lol:

Glad youre healing well!

g00fba11 - 7-4-2012 at 07:47 PM

Drew.... Don't you know it...

Drewculous - 8-4-2012 at 12:36 PM

LOL nice!!!

Glad your sense of humor didnt get banged up!

Any good battle scars you get to take home?

Flyfish - 8-4-2012 at 12:47 PM

Goof, stoked your all in one piece!

g00fba11 - 8-4-2012 at 01:33 PM

@drew..... just some good raspberries where my pads slid up......

the tough part was staying down there and not being able to ride..... I was so tempted to ride on Saturday..... I left my sling at the hotel and was starting to get a real craving for a Phantom..... old or new.....

I should take a pic of my fat lip.... I think either I finally had an allergic reaction to the dust or a reaction to the sunscreen or just got it fried it has puffed up so much I almost look like Mushmouth from the Fat Albert cartoons...... kinda been talkin like him today also...... my wife just started laughing when she saw me..... she couldn't believe how puffed up my bottom lip is.....

So just peeked out and winds are at 15mph..... I am so tempted to go have a run and blow the dust off of things..... :lol:

I have watched the video several times now..... boy do I look dumb.... I might just have to keep that one in the g00fy vault for fear of loosing all face.....

@flyfish..... thanks.... I am so thankful..... things could be so much worse.....

Good news is I got a Flexboardz ATB coming my way soon..... hope to be healed solid so I can give that a go......

bigkid - 8-4-2012 at 03:01 PM

I look forward to hearing about your Flexboarding.:bigok:
Your lip didnt look that bad, thought you were just pouting. Lol

g00fba11 - 8-4-2012 at 03:24 PM

It's even bigger today....:lol:

Mushmouth

cheezycheese - 8-4-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:

Mushmouth

Non-FB edition please... :smilegrin:

mougl - 8-4-2012 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cheezycheese
Quote:

Mushmouth

Non-FB edition please... :smilegrin:

g00fba11 - 8-4-2012 at 04:03 PM

the other mushmouth....:lol:

What happened at NABX 2012????

Playa dust allergy??? To much sun???? Caught in the door??? You be the judge....

OMG it's "Mushmouth"

Seriously.....when you flip a buggy and land on your face....NO PROBLEM....:lol:

The doc didn't have a sling big enough for that one......

cheezycheese - 8-4-2012 at 04:21 PM

Drewculous - 8-4-2012 at 05:14 PM

:lol:

omg that is a great pic!! THAT should be your new pkf forum pic

:lol:

rocfighter - 9-4-2012 at 05:17 AM

Mark that was awesome "Friday"
Goof now you truely look goofy. If your flying home I bet they search that thing!!

thanson2001ok - 9-4-2012 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad
Were you in Todd's buggy the "Green Monster"?

The Green Monster it was. And for the smarty pants in the family, you know who you are, the buggy is fine. :yes:

Gotta hand it to G00f, never seen anyone endure an injury and heal like this guy. And no pain meds. :o

g00fba11 - 9-4-2012 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thanson2001ok
Gotta hand it to G00f, never seen anyone endure an injury and heal like this guy. And no pain meds. :o

Thanks for all your help Todd......

and by no means am I a tough guy.......maybe a numb-skull.....:lol:

besides....pain meds turn me into a bigger a$$h01e than I already am...:lol:....

Chad - 9-4-2012 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
The Green Monster it was. And for the smarty pants in the family, you know who you are, the buggy is fine.

Well I'm Happy your both ok!

Bladerunner - 9-4-2012 at 10:45 AM

It was great to meet you Goof' !

Sorry about the injuries but at least we got to hang for the rest of the event.

C'ya next year ?

g00fba11 - 9-4-2012 at 10:51 AM

@Bladerunner....... to soon to tell yet.....(translation.....I'm afraid to ask the wife...:lol:.....)....but I am hoping to.....unless I do the Iceland snowkite trip with my son......

BeamerBob - 9-4-2012 at 11:06 AM

Goof, it really troubled me when I heard your name mentioned as getting hurt. I had just driven up from getting Wexler some lunch when I heard and ran over to the tent. I was told it wasn't you, but you were in the ambulance at the time.

I hated for your trip to get mucked up with the injury like that. I'm glad the injuries are starting to fade so you can show your wife it's cool to come next year. I was hoping Eric might be able to come next year but that might be a hard sell this week. Find your moment and start letting it be her idea. Try talking about how proud I was of my boys out there riding with everyone and getting better by the minute.

Get better quick bud and come back down for your NABX redo on me. We'll have you making upwind turns in a day! :bigok:

g00fba11 - 9-4-2012 at 04:33 PM

BB..... def interested in another go at the playa......but I think I will leave those upwind turns to the pros....and do it the old fashioned way....

g00fba11 - 9-4-2012 at 05:45 PM

Some pics thanks to CoolBreeze.....much appreciated!!!!

Thanks again to all that helped me out..... I am working on getting the video ready......the cameras survived.....

The Huddle.....

Loading up.....

Crappy iPhone self portrait while enroute....should have waited until off the playa.

Drewculous - 9-4-2012 at 07:11 PM

Wow dude!

Glad youre ok, rough pics bud!

g00fba11 - 9-4-2012 at 07:32 PM

@Drew....you should have seen the hole in the back of my head from the rough ride on the backboard...:lol: it wore an abrasion right into my melon....at least the pain from my head got so bad I forgot about how much the rest of me hurt until they figured I was OK enough to cut my head loose from the board....:lol:

Hopefully I will have the video done soon and you can have a laugh at that....I am in the process of giving it that g00fy touch.....

Soma - 10-4-2012 at 04:59 AM

:eekdrull: Only saw it now, :(

One thing is certain, as long as you walk out of it alive, it's a good experience.

Hope your wounds are healing well G00f, and huge positive vibes from across the big pond, ;)

Regards
Joćo

rocfighter - 10-4-2012 at 05:02 AM

Goof thats another reason to have some hair!! If I ever cut mine off I'll send it to you for future medi rides!!

g00fba11 - 10-4-2012 at 05:58 AM

@Soma...thanks much....I am healing up well....and I hope your Scorp made it across for you.....

@rocfighter...Thanks for the thought, but I prefer not to have any future medi rides.....hair won't grow on this melon any more anyway...:lol:

Soma - 11-4-2012 at 05:25 AM

Haven't said anything yet because the Scorp is still beeing captive in Portuguese Customs Depot. The worker there is trying to give me a hard time with it.
But don't sweet it, I'm working on it. ;)

Just make sure you get well soon, that's all that matters for now, :)

Regards
Joćo

deanaoxo - 11-4-2012 at 07:18 AM

No sir. Upwind turns are easy peazy, you just have to learn slow. Once you figure them out, you want even think twice about making them.

I use a mental trick.

Since the kite effectively disappears for a moment when you turn, I just remember to keep pressure on which ever side I initiated the turn with, until the kite comes back into view.

Later, when you get better at it, you can carry speed into the turn and do a true tack.

BTW, that's the only way you can really 'tacS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K- is after an upwind turn.

Quote:
BB..... def interested in another go at the playa......but I think I will leave those upwind turns to the pros....and do it the old fashioned way....

g00fba11 - 11-4-2012 at 12:28 PM

@deanaoxo.....hmmm......maybe......I will look you up next year for some expert advice before trying again...:lol:

csa_deadon - 11-4-2012 at 08:38 PM

Next year i'm leaving the med kit at home, and bringing bubble wrap instead for you guys! :lol:

cheezycheese - 11-4-2012 at 08:40 PM

separated at birth... :singing:

g00fba11 - 11-4-2012 at 08:46 PM

That is soooo funny.....thanks cheesy....

@csa....I think 3dO would be better....

csa_deadon - 11-4-2012 at 08:53 PM

Bubble wrap is cheaper, and more to play with on the no/low wind days. :P