Power Kite Forum

Wecome to the Playa

coreykite - 23-12-2003 at 12:20 PM

Howdy All,
The playa beckons and who are we but to answer the siren call.
Word is "Leave No Trace"
This year at SBBB, we shall all be responsible for our own trash.
We'll have Porto-Potties for SBBB, but trash will be our personal responsibility.
Remember the wind can suck wrappers and trash out of your vehicle as soon as you open the door.
Depositing "grey water" on the playa is strictly verboten.
Someone did last year and the sink hole remains today. We can only hope they feel shame and humiliation.
Let's create a safe and clean pits area.
Let's help each other.

Ah heck... Let's just go buggy!

coreylama

bugymangp - 23-12-2003 at 01:29 PM

yes corey
and no cigarette butts. as the lama said.
we don`t want to buggy in an ashtray.
:D

Howdy, don't mind if I do!

Lack-O-Slack - 5-1-2004 at 03:27 PM

Greetings, Illustrious Lama! This is a nice forum... my compliments to the creators. Hope to visit here often to read the musings of our kindred souls. Coreymas was cold but wonderful, and now you're ANOTHER year older than me! Woo-hoo!

OT - 7-1-2004 at 01:00 PM

Lama's wish is my command. See ya at El-Mirs!!! Happy Birthday everybody!!

coreykite - 10-1-2004 at 11:06 AM

A Big Buggy Howdy,
Perhaps this is the venue to once again express my view about how we handle the situation in the pits at sbbb.
Last year, upon arriving on the playa Wednesday afternoon and parking behind Dave Kennedy's RV, someone (NOT Dave) came up and scolded me for driving over lines.
I replied that lines should not be stretched across the parking area.
But it illustrates how different Ivanpah is and how we need to respond to that difference.
We've got ROOOOOOOM.
In 1994 at the first Buggy Boogie Thang, the earlies were all buggying within the marked parking area.
With 40-some square miles of open playa I wondered why...
I asked and was told "This (the 100' x600' parking area) is bigger than anyplace I've ever buggied before."

So... We should all agree, and promise to share this with others on the playa, that no cars in the pits and no buggies in the parking area.
Kites should ALL be bagged upon landing.
No taut lines at ankle height.
No unmarked/unflagged stakes.
All kites and buggies removed from the open pit area after nightfall.

I'd also suggest that we move activities further out onto the playa.
We tend to walk 50 yards out and think that's enough.
Last year taught us different.
We have literally thousands of yards of open space. It's deceiving because there is nothing in the foreground or half-way to give a sense of depth.
We have the room... Let's use it.

Anyone else have points or problems they've noticed and want to bring up?

I'm listening.

coreylama

Some additional Ivanpah usage notes

Lack-O-Slack - 12-1-2004 at 05:22 PM

A couple words to add to Corey's post about Ivanpah, SBBB, and courtesy:

1. DOGS - I have observed unleashed dogs at SBBB sniffing 'round other folks' camps, even nosing into their ice chests and vehicles. If you bring a canine, bring a stake and leash. California has a leash law, EVERYWHERE, except posted canine excercise venues, and Ivanpah's in California. Dog poop in the pits, and pee stains on somebody's camping gear is not a good way to be an ambassador for dog ownership. Be smarter than your pet, please!

2. GUNS - Sheesh, does this need to be said? NO freakin' firearms discharges in or near camp.

3. KIDS AND THEIR TOYS: Okay, we're all kids, out for a week with our toys. However, if a noisy, gasoline-driven scooter is your idea of a good babysitter, try the LA County Fair, or the racetrack in Vegas.... NOT our Ivanpah campground. And if your kids haven't learned respect for the property of others... LEAVE 'EM HOME IN REMEDIAL TRAINING. Bouncing rocks off an occupied porta-potty, digging around in the (closed) brush area adjacent to camp, or screaming and giggling outside someone's closed-up camper at 7:00 a.m. are all typical kid activities... and could lead to infanticide.

4. DISTANCE - We're at Ivanpah, and we've got ROOM, as Coreylama put it. Why approach within 25 feet of another camper and set up your stuff? SPREAD OUT! Give each other breathing room. Respect others' line of sight. If someone's parked near the playa with chairs set up, DON'T pull right into their view and set up camp... move on down the line a bit. If some of us camp on the eastern edge, away from all the activity, IT'S FOR A REASON! We are old, grouchy, and like to sleep in. Or we are young, sexy, and want to make whoopee all night. (Nevermind, Corey). Be respectful of others' space, enjoy the fact that we have so much of it, then visit whomever you like. For those that wish to camp in a cluster, go fer it. Just don't cluster 'round those who don't share the yen for colonization. It's a sharing thang.

coreykite - 21-2-2004 at 11:34 AM

Yo Buggy Dudes & Dudettes,
Just thought I'd stop by and drop this friendly reminder.
At Elmer's, our show of respect for the lakebed and the BLM team that administers it has resulted in official recognition.
Our traditional camping spot, directly across from Sailors Bay, called Walt's Cove, has been added to the map of the lakebed distributed by the BLM.
A nice carved wooden sign is being added to the signpost at the headquarters building.

Way to Go being good citizens and respectful users.
I know it sounds trite, but the combined efforts of the buggy community has resulted in an excellant working relationship with the BLM. Thanks.

On a lighter note, another reason to camp F-A-R-R-R away from a certain un-named SoCal buggier (mike "lack-o-slack" dooley) is his abilty to find and camp in the middle of the largest concentration of glass and nails in the general vicinity.
His propensity is noted in the nickname given his camp - Dooley's Reef.

I guess we have a natural tendancy to join up when spotting the first to arrive.
We must learn to avoid getting too close.

Mike's recent acquisition of a VW camper has me wondering... Does Mike want to become a mini-me?
Can the world sit still while this happens?
Is there room enough in this life-cycle for the two of us?

Visit buggytown and find out.

coreylama

One could do worse...

Lack-O-Slack - 21-2-2004 at 08:56 PM

Awright awready... I'll park to the east of the cove this time, and stay off the reef!

As to the mini-me concept, one could certainly do worse. I coulda shaved my head, found some reeeeeeeeally funky goggles, and imitated Dean. Naw, not possible. Who the hell could imitate Dean?

The truth is, imitating Corey-Lama was how I learned to buggy. And to care for the playground. And to tolerate the BLM.

We park where we do only to piss off the Mayor, doncha know?

I think there's lots of room in this life-cycle for more imitation of the Corey Lama, but rest assured, there will never be a successful copy of the original. :rolleyes:

coreykite - 25-2-2004 at 11:46 AM

Hey,
I honestly expected more response to the idea of having everybody bag their kites upon landing in the pits.
No more staked/inflated kites.
No more lines stretched ankle-high across the ground.

And the idea we stop riding buggys between vehicles in the parking area.
No protests?

Is this and indication that everyone agrees?
Or is it just that no one cares or is paying attention?

Is everybody on-board?
Or am I alone, adrift at sea?

come to buggytown and find out. :cool2:

coreylama

bugymangp - 25-2-2004 at 12:56 PM

hey corey
i agree with you. but!!! if i`m coming into the pits just for a few minutes to smoke,drink,tighten a bolt or whatever. i don`t think i should have to bag my kite. yes i agree if i`m coming in for any lenght of time i will bag my kite. is that fair enough?:puzzled:

the pit

johnr - 25-2-2004 at 05:40 PM

There should be a place for cars and a place for kites and buggies. I have no problem walking my buggy 20 feet away from the car to unwind my lines and launch. I also agree with Glen P that it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to bag their kite every time they stopped for a drink.

I usually "park" my kite by leaning it against my buggy and dropping the handles. This allows people to ride over my lines but this doesn't bother me. At least I don't have the death-traps of staked handles and kites under tension. I and many others start and end our day by parking the kite against the car, unwinding our lines and launching from the parking area. I think it would be just as easy to roll my buggy out of the parking area and use my buggy for the launch rather than the car.

Most of the behavior you are objecting to is just laziness. On the other hand, I don't plan on enforcing anything while I'm there this year. I had too much fun last year just having fun. :)

coreykite - 26-2-2004 at 01:08 PM

Good Points, John.
I do not intend that ANYONE be the "marshall of buggytown"
I'd like to think we can all agree on standards and help others see the logic and so respond.

Unlike nearly everywhere we play, Ivanpah specifically will draw many who do not regularly buggy.
We need to be extra cautious here.

The problem of not bagging your kite is that it can and does get blown away in shifting winds and trips up folks strolling around looking at our stuff, but not always "seeing".

Out on the playa, staking your kite while taking a smoke break, is one thing. Leaving a kite open in the pits is, like John insightfully noted, simply laziness.
I bag my kite every time.
It's not extra work.

It simply show consideration for others and the sport.

When you guys aren't here, many of the locals also use their car as a backstop.
During sbbb, with all the folks strolling around the pits, allowing that to continue is beginning to border on irresponsible.

On the playa, the acceptable way is to use a flagged ground stake (screwdriver)to secure your handles, then bag your kite.
Most of us then release the stake or at least ensure the lines are on the ground and slack.

Using the excuse that the pit stop will be short so safety isn't important is no excuse.

I am not specifically talking about any of the flyers or what they do or don't, but we must acknowledge that many folks wander the pits and it's those unintended incidents that we can eliminate.

I know to look for the kite above the cars and upon spotting one, to expect the buggy to shoot out from between.
Care to risk your life that it will be me driving by when you buggy through?

We lead by our example.

Words are fine, but the truth of the matter is not what we say but what we do.

I have driven enough buggiers to hospitals.

The slogan of buggytown is "Safen Up"

You too.

coreylama

geokite - 26-2-2004 at 10:20 PM

If anyone needs advice on *where* to camp on a dry lake bed, just ask me.

Hyphen

coreykite - 8-3-2004 at 12:42 PM

Hey All,
After a few phone conversations, I'd like to share this idea...
Please let me know your feelings on the matter.

The area between the access road and the shoreline is for cars and RV's and such.
No buggying should be done in the parking area.

The area on the other side of the access road is the playa and for buggys.

The access road should be the dividing line between where buggys can go and where people can be free of the fear of being run down by a buggy.

Camps moved closer to the access road.
Buggys out on the playa.

This is based on the idea that this event in this place deserves special consideration.

What say you? :?:

coreylama

bugymangp - 8-3-2004 at 12:55 PM

hey corey
works for me.
buggytown here i come.

nice stunt kite! can you buggy with it???:D

Parking / Pits area SBBB

waltweb - 9-3-2004 at 05:35 AM

Give Corey a break fellers, you know how he gets stressed out with the BLM stuff and all that.

#@%$#! you got more space than I know what to do with::singing:

Have a fine time Corey, and all you buggy dudes and dudetts..hope so make it back soon

Steve Walt Webb. SkyDog ;)

Collette - 10-3-2004 at 04:03 PM

Sorry Corey Dahling,

It doesn't work for meh.

:frog: :evil:

Park yer kite and bag yer vehicle, dammit!

Lack-O-Slack - 10-3-2004 at 04:34 PM

Yep, thass what I said... let's allow kites to park anywhere in the camping area, and require that all vehicles be bagged in camo net upon arrival, and staked to the playa. Oh, and NO PEDESTRIANS. Either ride a buggy, or stand there and DON'T MOVE!

It's about safety and predictability. If cars and people don't move, then all the buggies are safe!

:rolleyes:

Collette - 10-3-2004 at 04:59 PM

I want to be the Marshall.

:evil:

Phugger - 11-3-2004 at 07:47 AM

Collete -

You'll need to get deputized by the Mayor

bugymangp - 11-3-2004 at 10:38 AM

hey huggs
good one!!!! i like that picture:singing:

Collette - 11-3-2004 at 03:35 PM

Heh - Corey will let me be marshall. He might even let me borrow his cuffs. For some reason no one will take my leapard fur lined cuffs seriously.

:evil:

<<<< For Marshall !!!! :karate:

Collette for Marshal of Buggytown

johnr - 11-3-2004 at 06:17 PM

I've just formed a non-profit political action group to support Collette's bid for Marshall of Buggytown. Donations are, of course tax deductable and safety is of the utmost importance. Therefore, Collette also has the unwavering support of the entire SBBB Safety Committee and her bid has been added to the adjenda of all safety meetings to be held on the playa. Please note that Collette has not endorsed our efforts and has plausable denyability for any of our efforts.

Collette has not appoved this message...

Collette - 12-3-2004 at 11:59 AM

I will approve this message at the first safety meeting. :singing:

Pin the Badge on the Marshall

Lack-O-Slack - 12-3-2004 at 02:33 PM

Just as soon as I cast my vote for Collette for Marshall of Buggytown, I'll be organizing our first game of "Pin the Badge on the Marshall". Somebody's gotta get Cliff outta the way, then we can all have a shot.

Oh, and I wanna try out her handcuffs, but only if there's costumes involved. :piggy:

Collette - 12-3-2004 at 04:02 PM

I swear - I cant take Mikey anywhere without his wanting to show off his hi heels and fishnet stockings.

But then they do look hot with his racing outfit - that leather halter and thong.

coreykite - 23-3-2004 at 01:41 PM

Come On All You Grassriders,
Join Us You Snowkiters,

The playa has been HOT this past week.
Landsailers as far as the breeze will blow.

Today the winds came back so the Sail/Guys will have had their fun.

Temps expected in the mid-70's by weeks-end (Been over 90 this week).

The moving off of the high pressure will bring a warm up to the rest of the country:smug:
It will most assuredly bring winds to us.

Don't worry about bringing everything.
Just the essentials will do.
You'll be surrounded by the family.

"Those who stand with me this St. Crispens Day will always be my brothers"

Come Buggy in Buggytown.

coreylama :wink2: