Power Kite Forum

Combat 7.2

FGKELL - 1-10-2012 at 05:27 AM

Extremely fun kite to fly for it's size. Just static flying this kite, I was entirely impressed how maneuverable it is for it's size. It was as much fun to fly as a 5 meter or smaller kite. First impression: quick and agile.

In the buggy, this kite flat our rips!!!! Thick and deep power band through the center like a big kite, with the agility and edge control of a small kite.

Stability is just what you expect from an edgy race kite, which is to say it could be frustrating for a novice pilot. Experienced pilots, keep your fingertips poised for at the breaks in puffy wind. She doesn't give much indication before nosing over. Easy to prevent and recovers well. Edge control is superb, very quick and smooth through tacks. Coming hot into a turn overpowered, knowing you're about to fly the kite straight overhead and behind your back can raise the pucker factor into the red zone. So far, the Combat's are nothing less than confidence inspiring in this scenario. These kites love to fly LIT UP and reward aggressive flying.

Stay tuned for more...

I'm diggin it!!!

BeamerBob - 1-10-2012 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FGKELL

Stability is just what you expect from an edgy race kite, which is to say it could be frustrating for a novice pilot.

Did that come out right?

sunset-Jim - 1-10-2012 at 08:06 AM

I couldn't agree more. I finally had an hour or so on Saturday with the 7.2 in 12-15 mph winds and had an absolute blast. I had it on 16m lines and really wished I had another 2-4 meters, just a little short for riding the side of the dunes. Out on the flat part of the beach though it did quite well. Like what Frank said, this kite (and what I've been finding with the combats in general) they like to be "LIT UP". I haven't flown anything that comes out of the hole like these do. The acceleration is candy to the adrenaline junkie.

tridude - 1-10-2012 at 11:59 AM

I owned a 4.2m Bat before I owned a buggy (bought it off flea bay for $120) and this kite had the power of a much larger kite in 15 mph wind.........had I owned a buggy back then I'd still have the kite........thanks for the review.........

FGKELL - 1-10-2012 at 07:47 PM

Yes Bob, I was trying to express that it is perhaps not a great choice for a novice in my opinion partly due to it's instability in turbulent wind. There is a balance between performance and stability with foils. The scale is tipped hard toward the former in the case of the Combats. Having said that, they are amazingly stable for their respective performance. Like that better, Bob? :)

lunchbox - 2-10-2012 at 07:07 PM

Would like to get a combat or two in my quiver. Love my Vapors and wonder how they would compare. Any one fly both that would like to comment?

Nice review, btw!

FGKELL - 3-10-2012 at 06:08 AM

Lunchbox, I've flown Vapors and I think they're amazing kites. Hard to say one is better than the other in black and white. The Vapor is very smooth power and amazingly stable. The Combat has power that comes on hard and early, but is slightly less stable. Performance on the extreme edge of the window is where the Combat has a significant advantage over the Vapor in my opinion. I believe I can fly up wind faster and steeper with the Combat as well as drive into a tack harder. If I had to choose between the two...oh wait, I did choose between the two :spin:

lunchbox - 3-10-2012 at 07:56 PM

Cool...appreciate the feedback Fgkell! Might have to throw a Combat in the mix pretty soon....geez, just when I thought I was done buying kites...;-)