Power Kite Forum

HQ montana 7 safety system

flyjump - 10-11-2012 at 10:39 AM

I know that a couple of you guys were concerned about the safety system on the montana 7's so I thought i'd give you a little review since I had to use my safety today.

Woke up to winds 18-21mph today, and I thought it'd be perfect for the 14m montana 7. Started out with a smooth launch with lots of power, very close to the top end of this kite. Kite speed is there and is fast for a 14m open foil. Cruising with lots of speed and even more depower when you need it. Started jumping real big, and the hangtime is incredible

Phreerider you gotta get into the hangtime on this kite!

Had big jump that took me really far and hit a gust right before i landed so I crashed. The impact cause the kite to jar forward and then backward a bit so the air got pushed out. The kite fell back into the powerzone and was getting ready to pop open so I quickly pulled the safety which releases the pin to lengthen the front lines. the kite did open up but with almost no power and the brake lines brought the kite strait to the ground. There was almost no power left in the kite as it was dropping out of the sky

I can imagine what snowspider said though. On an ice surface which is close to frictionless as you can get on a kite, I could see the possibility of getting pulled slightly down wind. I can't really comment about it since I have never had the chance to ride on the ice.

for grass and sand surface don't fear you will be safe. It is quick and easy to reset the safety and relaunch. I am tall with long arms so I had no trouble reaching the primary top hat safety. those of you with shorter arms I can see the concern. It is quick and easy to dump power out of this kite without problems........with that being said I think someone with shorter arms and stature should give it a shot so everybody else can have a fair comparison.

I hope this reviews helps those who had concern. Let me know if there is any questions about the safety that you would like answered:smilegrin: