Power Kite Forum

Zebra Z1

bigkid - 5-12-2012 at 08:23 AM

I have some of the Z1's and I was wondering if any one else has them and what you think of them?
I will post a review if the interest is there.

The Z3 is also one that I am interested in and am awaiting them to show up. Reviews?

Z1_2_th.jpg - 18kB

crazyherb - 5-12-2012 at 12:11 PM

What size were those?
Sure are VISIBLE with that scheme!!

John Holgate - 5-12-2012 at 01:41 PM

A few of the local crew down this way have Zebra Z1's and they are well liked without exception. They handle gusty wind very well and are solidly built. They are possibly the cheapest power kite in Aus and yet they are as well built as kites like the Century II (although they are a low aspect kite). Everyone who has flown one and had a good look at it thinks that they are incredibly good value. From the little time that I had flying one, sorta felt halfway between a Hornet and a Flow. Smooth and very stable.

DemBones - 5-12-2012 at 11:43 PM

I have a 1.5m2 Z1

I had some fun using it when I was learning to buggy. Not as smooth as a Flow, but easy to fly. Build quality is robust, it has a lot of bridles for a small kite.

On a hard surface I could get moving in surprisingly low winds for such a small kite.

bigkid - 6-12-2012 at 08:29 AM

I think the kite is a great deal for the cost.
When I first flew the kite I was very disappointed at the lack of power and the sluggish performance. I was in about 4 to 7mph wind with a 5.0m flying static, and thought this was a waste of money.
As I brought it back across the window and put the brakes on to land it, the kite exploded with power and after I got up and spit the sand out of my mouth I said, #&%*#! this thing is a monster.
This kite needs a tad of brakes to turn on the after burners. This is a completely different kite now when a bit of brakes are added.

In the buggy this is a great kite for a beginner. If you get into a bit of "to much wind" you let up on the brakes and fly on the power only. To turn on the turbo, slowly apply the brakes and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I think it performs better than the Beamer and out performs the flow.
I would have to say that for a piano with it's tounge hanging out, this is one kite that will be getting more air time that I would have guessed.
I have flown the Z2 and thought that was a nice introduction to the race kites, but I really want to try the Z3.

DemBones - 6-12-2012 at 07:43 PM

It is billed as an intermediate kite, so it should outperform the Flow. I haven't had enough wind to test the performance of a 1.5m kite in a buggy, so I wouldn't know. (Except for that one time I compared it to a 2m Beamer in storm winds without a buggy. The Z1 was stuttering across the window. The beamer zipped across, luffed, drifted into the power zone, then ripped out of my hands and broke its kite killers :ticking: I have this on video, should dig it out sometime)

DemBones - 6-12-2012 at 08:59 PM

There is thread about Zebra on extremekites, including some reviews of the Z1
http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&...

bigkid - 7-12-2012 at 08:56 AM

Nice review on extremekites. I know that the buster and the beamer have changed in the last 2 years.
I have slowly acquired a nice collection of 3m kites from most of the manufacturers, was going to compare the handles verses the bar on the kites set up with both, but looks like a comparison of 3m kites across the board would be a bit better. Now just need a few days with out RAIN. Should be able to get out and fly in April or so.

thanson2001ok - 7-12-2012 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkid
I have slowly acquired a nice collection of 3m kites from most of the manufacturers, was going to compare the handles verses the bar on the kites set up with both, but looks like a comparison of 3m kites across the board would be a bit better.

A review of 3m kites would be an awesome thing. How many times do we get asked by noobs what kites to start with? I would love to see some stickies with answers to refer noobs to. This could be one.