Power Kite Forum

Ozone Octane 2m

John Holgate - 11-2-2013 at 03:23 AM

A great little kite in a really nicely thought out package. There, done. Easy review! Seriously though, another top quality Ozone offering. Kite is (as usual) superbly put together. Flies with a very stable and solid feeling. Not skittish at all. It's no Century II but it produces reasonable pull none the less. Comes with the usual excellent Ozone handles with kite killers pre-attached AND you get a strop on the handles too. The bag is a sling-over-the-shoulder type which is long and skinny...long enough to easily fit a turbo bar - Yay!! About time, Ozone!! It also has a pocket which holds the best ground stake that I've ever seen (also supplied).

I gave it a run on the turbo bar in 18-20 knots and it flew very well on it. At that wind speed it was just producing enough power to pull me around in the buggy but another 4 or 5 knots would have had me grinning.

Kite tracked through the sky like it was on rails. I was really impressed with it. Wish I was just as impressed with the 5m Frenzy but that's another story....

Maven454 - 11-2-2013 at 10:34 AM

I'd wondered how their new kite stake was.

awindofchange - 11-2-2013 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for the Review. The Octane is becoming much more popular with our riders here. They all basically say the same, rock solid performance, great power and smooooooooth flying. Same high quality Ozone construction you come to expect from the Ozone brand and yea, killer kite stake.

The price on the Octane is also incredibly reasonable for an Ozone product (starting at $170.00)- which is a very nice bonus!

John Holgate - 11-2-2013 at 01:25 PM

Quote:

The price on the Octane is also incredibly reasonable for an Ozone product (starting at $170.00)- which is a very nice bonus!

Wow! Make that $299.00 here. (with handles) And our dollar is a little stronger than yours atm.

erratic winds - 11-2-2013 at 02:18 PM

I'm guessing the frenzy was just too....frenzied? (couldn't resist)

What no pics...?

cheezycheese - 11-2-2013 at 02:45 PM

image.jpg - 143kB

awindofchange - 12-2-2013 at 11:54 AM

That price is a Kite ONLY price. With handles/lines/killers/stake it is close to the same as yours.

soliver - 14-2-2013 at 08:32 AM

How about its upwind capabilities? I was looking at these a while back when they had just come onto the market and couldn't get a good read from anyone on their upwind ability.

How did it fare moving upwind John?

awindofchange - 14-2-2013 at 11:50 AM

For me, the upwind performance is acceptable for a lower aspect ratio kite. The Octane tends to have a bit better upwind than the Flow's but it is still a beginner to intermediate medium aspect ratio kite, so upwind performance is not going to be as good as some of the higher aspect ratio kites like the Method's or Yakuza GT's. Still, for normal riding and conditions, it gets fairly well.

John Holgate - 14-2-2013 at 01:17 PM

I was a little underpowered when I was giving the 2m a whirl so really can't say too much about their upwind ability - but I've never had any trouble getting upwind with the 3m Flow, so if the Octane is better..... I wouldn't be expecting the same upwind performance as the Methods, but I don't think it would be too far off.